A Page In Honour Of Our Former Imps' Supporters | Vital Football

A Page In Honour Of Our Former Imps' Supporters

not sure if this has already been mentioned. nice idea i thought...

taken from the banter fb page:

"
Admin · 3 hrs
Right ladies and gents, the club have asked me to tell you that they are looking to pay tribute to those Imps who are unfortunately no longer with us for this emotional trip to Wembley.
The EFL have agreed to a "Thank You" in the Wembley programme itself, so get emailing your forename, nicknames and / or surnames of loved ones to myimps@lincolncityfc.co.uk to see them immortalised in print. The deadline is Monday at 12pm
I'm sure there are plenty of us out there......UTMI ??????
"

What a lovely thing to do,might email the club to get my uncle and grandad a mention.
:clappy:

A nice thing to have included in the programme, btw. Not sure whether it's something we've put forward or standard to this Final?

I think it's a lovely gesture and have put my dad's name forward. He followed the Imps from 1947 until he died on St George's Day in 2003 thus missing our first ever play-offs and eventual trip to a National Stadium (albeit Cardiff and not Wembley).

Great idea, put forward my dad who I have to 'blame' for this affliction, and my Great Uncle George Wright, where it all started really, Chairman and Treasurer of the Club in the 1940's. UTI.

Nice initiative, but not much time to act

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-lincoln-city-fans-can-1397339

I got to know a lovely fella called Brian Garill, simply by chance of having a season ticket next to him and his friends. Sadly he died a couple of years back. God only knows how much dross he sat through at Sincil Bank through his life time. He never got to see any of the DC/NC time, Burnley, Emirates and now Wembley.

My Mum knew a guy called Bert who, I believe, was Chris Ashton's brother. Him and four of his mates had ST's in Co-op Upper and unbeknown to me at the time, I sat behind them for a handful of years before moving to a different block.

He had been an ST holder for goodness knows how many years but I believe he had a fall prior to last season, lost all confidence and couldn't make it up to his seat, whilst the area for wheelchairs was too open during the winter months. Through Mum, I offered to meet him at the turnstile before every home game and get him up to his seat so that he could a) get to games and b) still sit with his mates as he had been doing for decades but he felt a bit embarrassed about having to rely on others all of a sudden and never made is back to SB unfortunately (or at least not to my knowledge).

He sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago in his early 90's and I'm hoping he's in the programme. I'm sure he will be if he's related to Chris.

Bob Sims, who was a work colleague of my late father.

Bob came to Waddington during the war and remained a season ticket holder for decades. He was a Lancaster co-pilot but would never be drawn on which missions he flew. Like many of his generation, he would never talk about his wartime record and played down his involvement. All he would say when questioned was, 'I was only the co-pilot'.

Bob died in February 2016 at the age of 93, shortly before the Cowleys landed in Lincoln. He would have loved all of this.

Was thinking of something like this a few weeks back. Ive lost a few good mates over the years who followed City. Andy Hawkins, Johno, Dicko, jimmy arter, jimmy elder, oko, gaz Kirk,
All died before their 50s. All would have gone to Wembley.
Bet I’ve missed a few as well.
Jamie Thompson, there’s others as well. God bless em all.

Scotimp - 30/3/2018 00:14

Bob Sims, who was a work colleague of my late father.

Bob came to Waddington during the war and remained a season ticket holder for decades. He was a Lancaster co-pilot but would never be drawn on which missions he flew. Like many of his generation, he would never talk about his wartime record and played down his involvement. All he would say when questioned was, 'I was only the co-pilot'.

Bob died in February 2016 at the age of 93, shortly before the Cowleys landed in Lincoln. He would have loved all of this.

Scotimp hate to be picky but a Lancaster crew didn’t have a copilot. Crew consisted of pilot sat in cockpit on the left. Stood beside him on the right was the flight engineer. Beneath them the bomb aimer who on very rare occasions would operate the front turret machine guns. Behind them the navigator and wireless operator. Back and over the wing spar the mid upper gunner and at the back tail end charlie, the tail gunner.

Based at Waddington during the war would have very likely been part of 44 Rhodesia Squadron. The single pilot was the only crew to have any armour plating to protect him with a large piece of armour behind his head. Many experienced flight engineers could help the pilot keep them airborne so the rest of the crew could bale out. New inexperienced pilots would sometimes fly as ‘second dickie’ a term used to accompany a crew on a raid to get a first hand view of what was involved. The single pilot in a Lancaster was the skipper and in charge regardless of rank.

Back to the thread I think it’s a fab idea and shows how far this club has gone to get its mojo back in recent years. I should add that it was my grandad a former flight engineer on Lancasters based in Bardney during 44-45. Took me to my first Lincoln game in 73.

89spartans_12/03/77 - 30/3/2018 09:01

Was thinking of something like this a few weeks back. Ive lost a few good mates over the years who followed City. Andy Hawkins, Johno, Dicko, jimmy arter, jimmy elder, oko, gaz Kirk,

I didn't know that Jimmy Arter had passed away, RIP

I put forward a gent called Graham Taylor, not the legend who springs to mind but fan who would walk with one crutch and sat in the front of the Echo stand. He was a ST holder for years and even though he couldn't work because of his disability he spent hours on the internet getting freebies for Lincoln City and was given a fundraising award around 2006 I reckon, soon after we came out of administration. He passed away sadly aged 43 just before the Cowley boys arrived, he would of loved the last couple of seasons. Straight after the Macc game I looked across the pitch to where he sat in remembrance.

Ex-Ref - 30/3/2018 09:34

89spartans_12/03/77 - 30/3/2018 09:01

I didn't know that Jimmy Arter had passed away, RIP
There’s a plaque in memory of him as you walk in the gate of the west common off carlhome road.