A new Left Wing Back? | Vital Football

A new Left Wing Back?

Real Deal

Alert Team
Since the end of last season I have felt we have needed a new LWB, who has similar qualities to Rose. Of course a younger model a work in progress LWB.

It has become more and more evident as the season has gone on that Ben Davies is not a LWB. He does not have the pace, stamina or athleticism to do what Rose does. It baffles me that Poch still tries to fit Ben in to do the same job. Yet some fans go to town on Davies when it really isn't his fault. He just doesn't have the skill set needed.

As a LB I actually rate Davies. He is normally a good reader of the game, can pass, and is a reasonable defender. For me to get the best out of him, he should play LB with a LW type player in front of him. We have N'Koudou but Poch for whatever reason doesn't have the faith to play him. I think when Rose is out we need to play both Davies and N'Koudou.

Anyway, who do you think would be a good alternative to Rose?

I have followed young Robertson from Hull for the last year and he certainly ticks a lot of boxes. He has athleticism, strength, stamina, he has a decent cross on him. He doesn't have Danny's pace though.

Another alternative is Jordan Amavi of Aston Villa. He has a very similar skill set to Rose. As he is playing in the Championship, I'm sure we could tempt him to come and play here. He would still get plenty of game time and I'm sure his game would improve massively under Poch.

Or do we try and turn N'Koudou into a LWB? I think he has some tools to do so, but he would need to work on his defensive game. Would he want to play this position? Poch hasn't shown hardly any faith in him yet that's for sure.

One thing we can't do is sit back and do nothing as the wing back system is vital for this system to work.

RD in a game crying out for pace in the final 3rd he turns to sissoko and janssen and left nkoudou on the bench. I dont think he rates him atm.

As for turning him in to a LWB, I cant see it. We should look abroad im sure there are plenty to choose from as an understudy. We should cash in on davies.

Why make a massive fuss over a player all summer and then not give him a chance? Just give the lad a chance for crying out loud. I think he could do a job for us. When he has been given a chance what does Poch think a 5-10 minute cameo will do? Your not going to learn anything from that.

Don't get me started on his other 2 signings. Shocking buys.

Not sure buying a LWB from abroad is a good idea. Would rather go for a LWB who has some experience of the prem and lower leagues. Which both Robertson and Amavi have.

Davies can play LCB as well so he could be used in a back 3 if needed. Open minded about him staying or going.

Real Deal - 12/2/2017 09:23

Why make a massive fuss over a player all summer and then not give him a chance? Just give the lad a chance for crying out loud. I think he could do a job for us. When he has been given a chance what does Poch think a 5-10 minute cameo will do? Your not going to learn anything from that.

Don't get me started on his other 2 signings. Shocking buys.

Not sure buying a LWB from abroad is a good idea. Would rather go for a LWB who has some experience of the prem and lower leagues. Which both Robertson and Amavi have.

Davies can play LCB as well so he could be used in a back 3 if needed. Open minded about him staying or going.

I would bring back a Director of football if I am honest, we need someone who can spot a player.

To find a true back to to Rose is very expensive, and very hard. I agree that Davies should only be used a s a left back, and not a left WING back.

Poch got it horribly wrong yesterday, and should have used the correct formation to take into this into account.

If we do our home work we can get in an understudy for a reasonable price.

The idea is not buying a LWB who is Rose's level. It's a player who can become his level. Most importantly they have pace, stamina and athleticism. Without them qualities a LWB is pointless.

The 2 I mention are just 2 examples. I'm sure there are many other options out there who are cheaper and just as good.

Would be good to see others opinions and say who they think can play the LWB position....

Real Deal - 12/2/2017 10:26

If we do our home work we can get in an understudy for a reasonable price.

The idea is not buying a LWB who is Rose's level. It's a player who can become his level. Most importantly they have pace, stamina and athleticism. Without them qualities a LWB is pointless.

The 2 I mention are just 2 examples. I'm sure there are many other options out there who are cheaper and just as good.

Would be good to see others opinions and say who they think can play the LWB position....

When Rose got his injury I suggested sticking with the 3 at the back and playing GKN on the left.

I was saying to my mate during the game that we should go to a back 3 with Davies and shift N'Kodou to the LWB role. The whole set up yesterday was shocking with absolutely no width offered on the left and Walker unbalancing the right.

If Rose can't play then we simply have to fit N'Kodou in somewhere as he's now the only wide left attacking option in the squad! I do wonder what Poch is up to half the time...

Dave the Yid - 12/2/2017 12:18

I was saying to my mate during the game that we should go to a back 3 with Davies and shift N'Kodou to the LWB role. The whole set up yesterday was shocking with absolutely no width offered on the left and Walker unbalancing the right.

If Rose can't play then we simply have to fit N'Kodou in somewhere as he's now the only wide left attacking option in the squad! I do wonder what Poch is up to half the time...

Bang on, or change to a 3-5-1-1, and just about everybody could see it but Poch. I make no secret that I am not his greatest fan, albeit he isn't bad, but this stupid stuberness has to stop. I once remember Mourinho putting 3 subs on after about 10 minutes because he realised he had got it wrong. The result, a Chelsea win.

I said during the summer and winter Windows that we should upgrade Davies. Van Aanholt was my top pick with Bertrand a close second. Both with very little tweaking could give Rose a challenge for his role in the team.

Aanholt and Bertrand are not far off Rose's level. Don't you think if we signed a player of that calibre they would expect to be number one LB/LWB?

For me we need a LWB that is young and has potential. A player that won't expect to play every week. For me they are both ready and made.

This part of the season is when we need 2 genuine wing backs for each wing. Rose and Walker cannot be expected to play so many games without their game suffering. Trippier isn't at Walkers level, but he is much closer to it than Davies will ever be with Rose. We have seen the damage it can do to the team when Rose is out. I honestly think that a youngster learning the position will be as risky as playing Davies. We are moving into the last third of the league and the cup and euro have now become serious. At what point would we rest Rose in favour of a youngster?

Wouldn't have been the answer this season, but surprised we didn't try to sign Ryan Sessegnon and loan him back. Rose is 25, Ryan is 17....sounds like a great age gap to nurture him over time an keep them both happy.

Ryan Sessegnon is a top target for us this summer apparently and I think we may even try and get a deal in place fairly soon if the player is interested. We were always being linked with Rico Henry as well but sadly injury has really disrupted his career since his move to Brentford.

Thing is, I feel for Davies because I think all he needs is regular game time for him to get to the form he had at Swansea. He has so much more to offer but his time with us has been so stop-start. Kyle Walker-Peters is so obviously being primed to be Walker's understudy because I think Poch has lost a bit of faith in Trips.

pokerfaced - 13/2/2017 23:56

This part of the season is when we need 2 genuine wing backs for each wing. Rose and Walker cannot be expected to play so many games without their game suffering. Trippier isn't at Walkers level, but he is much closer to it than Davies will ever be with Rose. We have seen the damage it can do to the team when Rose is out. I honestly think that a youngster learning the position will be as risky as playing Davies. We are moving into the last third of the league and the cup and euro have now become serious. At what point would we rest Rose in favour of a youngster?

I am on about bringing in a new LWB for next season poker. If we get our target early, they will have all of pre season with us, and they should be ready to step in if needs be.

How many teams have 2 full backs on virtually equal ability? I can't see many. Maybe City.

muttley - 14/2/2017 13:59

Wouldn't have been the answer this season, but surprised we didn't try to sign Ryan Sessegnon and loan him back. Rose is 25, Ryan is 17....sounds like a great age gap to nurture him over time an keep them both happy.

Now that's more realistic. Good shout. Spot on regarding the age gap as well.

I really wouldn't rule out Joe Muscatt or the very highly thought of Jaden Brown possibly one or both (ok a bit early for Jaden) stepping up next season.

There were a small gaggle of top clubs looking to loan Joe in the summer, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him held back again - his potential is looking very encouraging, to say the least.

Jaden on the other hand almost certainty has an assured future in top flight football.