A lodger thread. | Vital Football

A lodger thread.

jeffs right

Vital Football Hero
This is me just having a laugh but after speaking to Cuckoo fans this is probably a post one of them would make.
Gutted, totally gutted. After being robbed today against a meaningless side in The Challenge Cup our allocation of tickets (104,00) will have to be sent back.
I was talking to quite a few at the Saints game where we were robbed again despite a stadium record crowd of 34,000 with only 12 speccys traveling from St Helens and most had already payed for their tickets.
It is a nice bit of compensation knowing we own the stadium now and will turn in a profit with our average crowds of 31,242.

It is quite true having to live with their shite for years. That's the sort of nonsense some of them actually believe and we have had to put up with for years.

Is this what you lot who live in/near Wigan have to deal with regularly? :guns:

No, GSM, I've lived in Wigan all my life and over the decades have worked with hundreds if not thousands of fans of other clubs across many different jobs in many different locations. I've worked with loads of Bolton, Preston, Blackburn, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton and yes, Warriors fans and on the whole 99.9% of them enjoy a bit of banter but are generally decent people who do not wish Wigan Athletic any deep ill will.

There have ben a very small number of froth at the mouth, seriously bigoted and unhinged individuals who have a totally irrational and inexplicable hatred which is completely disproportionate and quite frankly disturbing but points (IMO) to serious issues with their own psyche rather than an institutional ingrained hatred at their club level. That's the real world, the online world is a different beast as evidence on here sometimes, but we all know that don't we !

Last edited:
No, GSM, I've lived in Wigan all my life and over the decades have worked with hundreds if not thousands of fans of other clubs across many different jobs in many different locations. I've worked with loads of Bolton, Preston, Blackburn, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton and yes, Warriors fans and on the whole 99.9% of them enjoy a bit of banter but are generally decent people who do not wish Wigan Athletic any deep ill will.

There have ben a very small number of froth at the mouth, seriously bigoted and unhinged individuals who have a totally irrational and inexplicable hatred which is completely disproportionate and quite frankly disturbing but points (IMO) to serious issues with their own psyche rather than an institutional ingrained hatred at their club level. That's the real world, the online world is a different beast as evidence on here sometimes, but we all know that don't we !

You’re right about the banter. However the issue that arose with the egg chasers was not with the fans but chairman Maurice who treated the club and supporters with utter contempt creating the animosity that exists. It had to a large extent dissipated, yet the actions of their now current chairman during our crisis has caused this to flare up again.

You’re right about the banter. However the issue that arose with the egg chasers was not with the fans but chairman Maurice who treated the club and supporters with utter contempt creating the animosity that exists. It had to a large extent dissipated, yet the actions of their now current chairman during our crisis has caused this to flare up again.

What actions are those MiW ?

What actions are those MiW ?

Bidding solely for the stadium. It’s why Gerald wouldn’t reduce the price as he had a guaranteed buyer and as such made our sale much harder putting our existence at risk. You must have forgotten the Yanks being unable to strike a reasonable deal with him so explored taking us to Leigh.

Despite my criticism of Krasner, the fact he stood firm and didn’t sell it separately to this bloke has ensured our survival and prevented major problems down the line.

Despite his actions I still wouldn’t be against offering the egg chasers a stake in the ground to spread the costs and risk. Failing that the lease renewal is up soon so I’d expect their rent to be increased significantly as they’ve had an easy ride at our expense for too long and recent events have shown this cannot continue.

To be fair, Lenagan trying to buy solely the stadium - at least at first - is an objective fact - it was all but confirmed as such by Krasner at a press conference a while ago. And it feels a little disingenuous to say he was simply ‘buying something that was up for sale’ in relation to the stadium when, during his initial press tour, he made a great deal about how the club itself was his primary focus.

Lenagan was quick to paint himself and the Warriors as our noble saviours, when it seems he only ever had eyes for the stadium and his club’s own interests. It has never once been indicated that a credible bid for the club has been made by him, and I can’t imagine that’s due to signing an NDA since he was perfectly willing to blow his own trumpet at the start of this whole process.

I never really believed the ‘I’ll be seeking out investors’ line either. Just felt like a way of kicking the can down the road and a ready made excuse for when he inevitably came back with nothing. Surely he knew he wasn’t going to be able to cobble together the capital necessary to buy the club and its assets outright even with outside support, let alone sustain it for any meaningful period of time.

Last edited:
To be fair, Lenagan trying to buy solely the stadium - at least at first - is an objective fact - it was all but confirmed as such by Krasner at a press conference a while ago. And it feels a little disingenuous to say he was simply ‘buying something that was up for sale’ in relation to the stadium when, during his initial press tour, he made a great deal about how the club itself was his primary focus.

Lenagan was quick to paint himself and the Warriors as our noble saviours, when it seems he only ever had eyes for the stadium and his club’s own interests. It has never once been indicated that a credible bid for the club has been made by him, and I can’t imagine that’s due to signing an NDA since he was perfectly willing to blow his own trumpet at the start of this whole process.

I never really believed the ‘I’ll be seeking out investors’ line either. Just felt like a way of kicking the can down the road and a ready made excuse for when he inevitably came back with nothing. Surely he knew he wasn’t going to be able to cobble together the capital necessary to buy the club and its assets outright even with outside support, let alone sustain it for any meaningful period of time.

Maybe he set out with the intention of buying everything then found he couldn't get the backing. At that point he wanted to buy the stadium to ensure the Rugby had a home.
I can't believe he did it maliciously, just didn't work out

Right, so a bloke tried to buy something that was for sale and you've made some assumptions based on stuff leaked to the media by people who seemed to leak stuff to the media to suit their own agenda. I get it now.

Seems Hud has responded to this seems little point in reiterating his points. Effectively he tried to take advantage of our difficulties for his own gain knowing it would amplify our problems. All this despite his club benefiting greatly over the years by DWs generosity through favourable rent levels. Despicable behaviour.

Maybe he set out with the intention of buying everything then found he couldn't get the backing. At that point he wanted to buy the stadium to ensure the Rugby had a home.
I can't believe he did it maliciously, just didn't work out

I don’t buy that. He was a previous chairman of the efl, he knows what it takes to run a club and the funds needed to satisfy them. He would also know the problems football clubs have when they don’t own their ground. His actions undoubtedly created difficulty in allowing a buyer to negotiate a sale price. His club have had use of a top class stadium for years at the cost of peanuts - I sincerely hope the new owners make it clear that the mates rates will be coming to an end.

I don’t buy that. He was a previous chairman of the efl, he knows what it takes to run a club and the funds needed to satisfy them. He would also know the problems football clubs have when they don’t own their ground. His actions undoubtedly created difficulty in allowing a buyer to negotiate a sale price. His club have had use of a top class stadium for years at the cost of peanuts - I sincerely hope the new owners make it clear that the mates rates will be coming to an end.

Flip the coin over and see the other side and if the roles had been reversed would we not have tried to take advantage. Think of the Euxton situation when we took advantage of another clubs misfortune. It's just business and to be honest wouldn't you want to secure your clubs future given the circumstances.

As far as putting the American bidders off, I seriously doubt that they ever wanted the stadium, in the first instance they were prepared to do a deal that allowed Lenegan to buy the stadium and make us "the lodgers", then when that went tits up they wanted the club without the stadium and threatened to move us to Leigh. They were never serious about buying the stadium, they wanted the club for peanuts and muddied the waters in their attempt to secure it. I for one am glad that the admins stuck to their guns and have got a better price with fewer strings attached.