A levels or Baccalauriates ? | Vital Football

A levels or Baccalauriates ?

holtelower

Vital Football Hero
Can any intellectuals help me here. I am going to email a load of uni's for advice, but if anyone can help here it would be appreciated.

My kids will be going to 6th form / college soon. Both (luckily) very intelligent and both should be achieving A* in most of there subjects at GCSE level.

Where we live we have some of the best colleges / 6th forms in the country, however some do the old "A levels" and some have gone to the new "Baccalauriates"

Can anyone give any advice on which one universities prefer ?, or does it matter. Obviously it isn't long before decisions need to be made, and I don't want them to make the wrong choice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well my Daughter had the choice of doing the A level course or a BTEC course which had placements built into it .

We also checked with Universities whether they preferred one over the other , but have been assured that they both get treated the same.

I imagine they would treat Baccalauriates as equal too.

Baccalaureates are simply so that any University in the world will take them. A school that says it does the Baccalaureates is simply saying that the school level of education falls under the system that your child can apply to anywhere in the world because that standard is accepted anywhere, universally.

No it doesn't make any difference unless your child is planning to study abroad. Studying abroad it simply means that the universal standard has been reached. This goes both ways so if a child is educated say in New-Zealand under this system he can apply to study in The U.K under the baccalaureates. Hope that helps.

Baccalaureates is usually more common in Private school than state school though state is moving that way too

kefkat - 3/10/2013 15:04

Baccalaureates are simply so that any University in the world will take them. A school that says it does the Baccalaureates is simply saying that the school level of education falls under the system that your child can apply to anywhere in the world because that standard is accepted anywhere, universally.

No it doesn't make any difference unless your child is planning to study abroad. Studying abroad it simply means that the universal standard has been reached. This goes both ways so if a child is educated say in New-Zealand under this system he can apply to study in The U.K under the baccalaureates. Hope that helps.

Baccalaureates is usually more common in Private school than state school though state is moving that way too

A levels are just as good for studying abroad, the education system in the UK is very well regarded around the world, thats why there are so many Asian students in UK colleges doing A levels. I'd say Baccalaureate is harder because you have to do the subjects they say, whereas A levels you can pick 3 your good at/ enjoy doing. A levels are more well known in the UK, for example some one with level 5 at Baccalaureate will mean nothing to some (or even a lot of) people, but a grade at A level is obvious how well you did.

Not sure how it works where you are but where I am the course you want should specify what the requirements are to enrol.

What do your kids want to do? Are they looking at a further education after college, university degree or a masters? If so check out the requirements of such course and follow the said path to your goal.