A independent regulator for football. | Vital Football

A independent regulator for football.

chris who

Vital Champions League
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59406087
What do you think?
It does at least sound like something that can have legs .I did think that Tracey Crouch would come up with stuff that simply wouldn't happen. This at least seems well thought out and she should be congratulated for that.Fans having a say could be a step too far for Scally.

Unfortunately it will be opposed by vested interests.
The Premier League clubs won’t like it and the PFA won’t like it.
Nice intentions but doomed to failure.
An independent regulatory body would be good.

Unfortunately it will be opposed by vested interests.
The Premier League clubs won’t like it and the PFA won’t like it.
Nice intentions but doomed to failure.
An independent regulatory body would be good.
Agree, unfortunately.

I’ve just listened to the CEO of Villa on Talksport.
He openly said that the Premier League will not agree to an independent regulator.
Dead in the water ?

Saw somewhere that they may experiment with alcoholic drinks being served at seats inside the grounds in the National League and Second Division (maybe relegation is not that bad) ;)

Bury and Brizzle Rovers were recent examples of how redistribution of money would not solve everything.

Started splashing money on players on big contracts, then in very short time got relegated and (at least in the case of Bury) went bankrupt.

There is no magic wand or control that would ensure that every player would turn out to be worth the money or that any manager would be a fit for any club, investors/owners would not lose interest and stop funding their clubs abruptly or that other investors/owners or agents would just keep the additional money coming in to their clubs for themselves. Or maybe all players wages will just go up?

To a extent the government could force the issue if there is strong enough support. I have just read that standard VAT is still payable on domestic transfers. But post Brexit not on overseas transfers. The government could earn large amounts from premier league clubs by put a large tax level on any incoming players thus providing protection for young English players and raising funds for the independent body regardless of if the Premier league teams want it or not.It will be a interesting few months and years I feel as I can't see the government ignoring the current problems with community clubs.But while I agree it appears that the Premier league teams are all powerful they chiefly employ non UK players so if Brexit was right then perhaps it is time to address that through taxation.

I think that change does happen, I've seen it happen throughout my life. The government has already declared that they are in favour of an independent regulator. I think it will happen. Once established that regulator will bring many other changes over time.

One of the specific recommendations in Tracey Crouch's report is the establishment of a system to prevent owners spending money they do not have. Football has operated its own strange world for many years but time will catch up.

Sorry, but that “A” instead of “An” in the thread title is doing my head in. Am I alone in that?

Think it’s an OCD thing. Carry on.

(sorry Chris. Not picking on you. I’ve done it).

Sorry, but that “A” instead of “An” in the thread title is doing my head in. Am I alone in that?

Think it’s an OCD thing. Carry on.

(sorry Chris. Not picking on you. I’ve done it).
Given those signs in Australia you displayed I am sorry I know what I would prefer to see.My language skills are not great I admit. But some of the language currently used in football matches and message boards about our club makes me think I have done nothing to be ashamed of.

Given those signs in Australia you displayed I am sorry I know what I would prefer to see.My language skills are not great I admit. But some of the language currently used in football matches and message boards about our club makes me think I have done nothing to be ashamed of.

Hmmm. Point taken about the advertising sign. Duly edited.

And I said in my post above, not blaming you. I’ve done exactly that myself. And thread titles can’t be edited.

Have yet to read all the Review, but if it doesn`t lead, asap, to an effective EFL Wage Cap then I fear for clubs like ours.

Bury and Brizzle Rovers were recent examples of how redistribution of money would not solve everything.

Started splashing money on players on big contracts, then in very short time got relegated and (at least in the case of Bury) went bankrupt.

There is no magic wand or control that would ensure that every player would turn out to be worth the money or that any manager would be a fit for any club, investors/owners would not lose interest and stop funding their clubs abruptly or that other investors/owners or agents would just keep the additional money coming in to their clubs for themselves. Or maybe all players wages will just go up?

Exactly right. The problem is the whole governance structure in football.

Lack of governance.
It’s literally the wild west.
Most teams are spending money they haven’t got and I include some of the premier league in that.