A drinker like me | Page 3 | Vital Football

A drinker like me

This is going to take the thread way off topic but the US Army have an IQ test which they give to all applicants to determine which area of the army to put them in.

Off topic - have they considered applying it to potential Presidents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you appreciate (I know) the counter argument from folks like that would be can I pay less tax?

No, tax isn't a saving service for you.

I have Bupa, I have had to do a fair amount privately health wise, etc. I don't ask for a tax refund.

I don't buy this 'I smoke so contribute a lot of tax' stuff as you know!

I'm like one or two on here who have said that their drinking is linked to social events. I have a drink when I meet up with friends before a Villa game but, when it's my turn to drive, I'm on Coke.(cola that is).
I must admit that a lot of the people I mix with socially don't seem to think they've had a good night unless they've whacked back six or seven drinks. If I drank as much as them I'd be up and down to the loo all night and wouldn't get much sleep.
I think I probably have more than is good for me over the course of a week but I console myself with the fact that I've never smoked so I must have stacked up some brownie points health wise.

No, tax isn't a saving service for you.

I have Bupa, I have had to do a fair amount privately health wise, etc. I don't ask for a tax refund.

I don't buy this 'I smoke so contribute a lot of tax' stuff as you know!
It's true though, palatable or not...exactly the same argument for legalising the wacky backy - make it safer and take it off the street, tax it to help fund treatments as a bonus on top.

And in this day and age, yes any form of denial of treatment would go that way legally in time. If I'm paying to have access, but then I'm denied access, I shouldn't have to pay and it'd get coaxed in a 'give me a refund so I can use the money elsewhere privately for treatment'.

There are already those with BUPA etc who are arguing similar, they just haven't got anywhere because Bupa is a private choice upgrade - the NHS is still there.

Having had issues with panic attacks I can fully understand how people become alco's and also the denial. I was having issues every single day and I found if I felt awful and went out and had some drinks it would soon leave. Of course it would only get worse the following day and so a cycle could easily start.

I am totally uneducated on this but for me its al rooted in mental health why would you put yourself through it everyday unless you were trying to mask or hide something.

The denial is also pretty straight forward for a time I convinced myself I had a different issue, that I had stomach problems or a heart condition. Then probably spent another 6 months denying I had a mental health issue when nothing showed up. Unfortunately a lot of issues people struggle with are immediately labelled as a weakness.

Gets the best of us and nobody talks about it.

EDIT: I might be the worst of the drinkers here because one of the reasons I worked so hard on the mental health was so I could drink again. 6 months of no beer was pretty detrimental to my social life but to be fair the panic played more than its fair share in this role. Its such an ingrained cultural thing its hard to have a social life to the level I'd like without it now if I never had to drink again I am sure I'd find my feet.

Just for clarity CDX, that's definitely different to what I'm alluding to. Mental health HAS to be treated.

the Joys Of Sober book I mention is quite interesting, she started as a social drinker, then drink too over, she felt she couldn't go anywhere without having a drink to be the 'party girl' then starts talking about what it is like not drinking and how much more she enjoys life.

I'm lucky, I'm in control, totally get some aren't. Had a good session on Saturday night, slightly over did it, did at the end have a pint of soda water, in hindsight, would have been nice to replace one drink with another as well.

But I don't drink the odd pint these days, I train too hard to undo the work with empty calories, plus if I go for a curry or whatever, I usually drive and I don't like any drink when driving.

It came up on Youtube so I watched it this morning. Interesting stuff. It's surprising that he has so little idea of how much he was actually drinking. I guess it just reflects the deception that goes along with it all.

*spoiler alert*

It's pretty shocking that he couldn't just knock it on the head.

Serious warning about his liver and he still wasn't sure if he should stop or not. *Scratches head*

Serious warning about his liver and he still wasn't sure if he should stop or not. *Scratches head*

Yup and if they are talking about his liver then it is serious as the liver is the last thing to break down with addiction, as the liver can repair itself if got in time with addiction liver disease.

The majority do not realise the impact alcohol has on the body. It can affect every part of the body, leading to brain damage (korkossoff syndrome or and alcoholic/addiction dementia, formerly known as wet brain.

It can also lead to permanent blindness/impaired vision, heart attacks, heart disease, pancreatitis (which some drinkers end up in hospital with time and time again) kidney failure, loss of or/and damage to limbs and so on. Basically every part of the body can be damaged and lead indirectly to the early death of a person.

That is why we call it ''disease of DeNial which isn't just in Egypt

I was so naive when I went into the fellowship 12 step program. I was stunned over the years to find out some of the things drinkers will do. We had one lad visit our meeting from another city in recovery who was blind in 1 eye because he had taken alcohol in through his eye. I was shocked to the core.

Shudders at some of the others I have heard too. I don't think I will repeat them here incase anyone is eating

He kept talking about whether he should stop or not even after he knew all of the facts. It seems obvious to me that he can't control his drinking and the best he can do is mitigate it at twice the recommended limit.

He talked so much at the start about how he wasn't a big drinker and how little he drank every night but that was all nonsense. He was drinking around 50 pints a week and could only cut it down to 12, if he was telling the truth.

Last edited:
Agreed BB... felt the whole way through he was just in denial. You only have to look at him to see he doesn't lead a healthy life!

I have a drink problem, I can't drink fast enough :toot:

Seriously I have a never ending battle with booze, but still function at a high level so justify it. Trying to not drink in the week but fail by Tues/Weds most weeks. Need to sort it out as got a fatty liver but buy supplements rather than look in the mirror, not big or clever

Very open and honest OVB. Hope you can get it sorted. Well worth watching that program, it does give a few insights into how a lot of us behave/justify actions.

My friend was over from Canada since Thursday and it's been party central here since. He went back Sunday morning but I'm still reeling. I'm having to wean myself off just to avoid the sleepless anxiety filled nights. Already missing the first days of college because of it.

It really does fuck everything up. I'm giving it a long break.

I have a drink problem, I can't drink fast enough :toot:

Seriously I have a never ending battle with booze, but still function at a high level so justify it. Trying to not drink in the week but fail by Tues/Weds most weeks. Need to sort it out as got a fatty liver but buy supplements rather than look in the mirror, not big or clever

If you really want to sort it try a 12 step fellowship. A.A has worked for me and millions of us.

If you have fatty liver your making it worse and no amount of supplements will sort it.

I am not being harsh. I am being real. I am in A A so I know only to well what it's like.

You want to know more about it message me or/and read back my posts.

Dont wait for all the yets to happen! A.A is full of people who still gave homes jobs car etc from every walk of life

Reactions: OVB
My friend was over from Canada since Thursday and it's been party central here since. He went back Sunday morning but I'm still reeling. I'm having to wean myself off just to avoid the sleepless anxiety filled nights. Already missing the first days of college because of it.

It really does fuck everything up. I'm giving it a long break.

You have talked about your anxiety issues before. I thought of you when Chiles was talking to the therapist about his anxiety and depression and using alcohol to change how he feels.