A Case For Angus Gunn - Claudio Bravo Out | Vital Football

A Case For Angus Gunn - Claudio Bravo Out

Tudor

Vital Football Legend
The summer transfer window is as always, going to be an interesting time at Manchester City.

Pep Guardiola has already said he is looking to bring in two outfield players. Hey, fine, we sort of know who they will be anyway.

One of many conundrums Pep must have, and I’m not going to even mention the likes of farmed out Patrick Roberts, Jason Denayer etc. is what to do with his on loan keeper Angus Gunn.

By all accounts Angus is playing a blinder at Norwich City. He is highly regarded by the England U21 set-up and is fast emerging as one of the brightest England keepers in the country. For example, the 22-year-old Gunn has kept 15 clean sheets in 43 appearances at the Championship club this season. Not too shabby in anyone’s book.

We hear Celtic are keeping close tabs on Angus while Norwich are going to try and move heaven and earth to sign the 1.92m tall keeper as soon as the window opens.

One thing we do know is that Pep is going to stick with Ederson as his first choice shot-stopper, and rightly so. But the question is, will Claudio Bravo put up with being a backseat driver or will he want to call time on his short City career?

I would suggest Claudio will want away in the summer (lack of playing time and being second fiddle to Ederson) and if that is the case I wouldn’t blame him. He, in my opinion is better than being a number two. PSG by all accounts have been sniffing around Bravo’s backroom team and so hey, if I was him I would grab the opportunity by the balls and head to France. Or anywhere for that matter.

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=591158

I am not an anti-Bravo City fan but I do feel nervous when Pep fields him in domestic cup competitions. And I believe I am not the only one who feels something similar.

We have a budding City future number one keeper on our books and I for one would applaud Pep if he were to bring Angus back into the City fold.

Wouldn’t you?

If I was Gunn I wouldn't fancy my chances of displacing Ederson so would do what's
for my career, that would be try to seal a permanent move away.

If I was Bravo, I'd be reluctant to uproot my young family again so any move would have to be lucrative for me to consider. Napoli also rumoured to be interested..

He could but I reckon he's got a good chance of having a good international career if he gets regular playing time, he's as good, if not better than Pickford from what I've seen.

Would love Gunn to get some first team experience at City but time is short in the career of a footballer, or rather there are moments in your career when you may have to move to make sure you get regular football. The question will be whether that time is now or whether a season as an understudy to one of the best keeper should in the PL and under the guiding hand of one of the world’s best coaches might be a sound investment. He may never get another chance to work with Guardiola so if it were me..........

I think I would stick at least for one season IF it was as the number 2. You never know what may happen.....

If I was Gunn I would be looking for a job as number 1 at another Club. He will not displace our current #1 any time soon, so he should move on.

Sure thing JK
He has to make sure his future is taken care of and can’t be hanging around doing nothing.

As Skoorb suggests - were Bravo to move on then Gunn would surely want at least a season working with PG? Goalies tend to play for longer than most outfield players so at this stage of his career it mightn't feel like such a sacrifice to delay being a #1 elsewhere.

johnkelv - 27/3/2018 22:18

If I was Gunn I would be looking for a job as number 1 at another Club. He will not displace our current #1 any time soon, so he should move on.

Question is can we hang on to Eddy, if Barca or Real Madrid or some other high continental Club comes sniffing.

We need to keep Angus even if it means another season loan

Buzz Lightyear - 29/3/2018 10:35

johnkelv - 27/3/2018 22:18

Question is can we hang on to Eddy, if Barca or Real Madrid or some other high continental Club comes sniffing.

We need to keep Angus even if it means another season loan

At the moment Real seem to be in a permanent state of moisture over De Ghea - once that particular river runs its course there is Courtois and maybe Lloris for them to chose from? Apart from the above two and Bayern where would he go that would be an upgrade - PSG or Italy, do the Italian clubs have the financial muscle to compete at this level?

It probably won't become an issue as long as PG is at the helm.