A Blast From the 1998 Past... | Vital Football

A Blast From the 1998 Past...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
THEY THINK IT'S ALL OVER.... IT ISN'T!!!

The good die young, apparently. Which is presumably why Impnet, under my command, made it to the comparatively ancient figure, in Internet terms, of nearly two years. In those two years we've seen many momentous events at Sincil Bank. The thrashing of Manchester City over two legs in the League Cup; an acrimonious managerial change; the departure of demi-god Gareth Ainsworth, the arrival of new heroes in Dean Walling, Phil Stant and Lee Thorpe; and most memorably, a heartbreaking end to one season, and a glorious end to the next. Terry Fleming has transformed himself from yet another donkey into the best midfielder at Sincil Bank this decade. Barry Richardson has been the most reliable and colourful character 'twixt the sticks for years. Even Steve Holmes has become "quite useful". So why now, as we approach the most exciting and eagerly anticipated season in City's recent history, have I decided to retire from on-line Impishness? Firstly, as I enter my third year at university, I don't feel that I have the time (or ability, sob!) to do justice to the Imps as they take on the big boys in their new Division 2 home. Even I have to admit that Impnet has been somewhat overtaken by the incredible graphical and statistical might of JV's Redimps.com. Secondly, having been made an offer I couldn't refuse by Simon Mills, I have cashed-in my position of independent cogitation for the corporate respectability of the Imps' official site, Impernet. People, I have sold out. And I regret nothing!

Yes, after exactly one year, eleven months and nineteen days, it's all over. At least it is for "Old" Impnet, the Original and, erm, Best (honest!) Lincoln City website in existence. However, the famous old name - I would have copyrighted it if there wasn't an Italian computer company of the same name - will live on in the new site. I spent many sleepless nights pondering whether to let them use "my" site's name. Could I trust them to continue the standards of journalistic excellence laid down by Impnet? Will they make sure that the quality associated with that famous and instantly recognisable brand name endures into the next millennium? Quite simply, I couldn't care less! The name might be the same, but as I'm sure they've explained elsewhere, the future of Impnet lies totally with them. From what they've let me know (and they're just so damned secretive!), they've got a good few changes planned. Rumours that Impnet may become City's first proper on-line fanzine may just be true. Some of my material from Old Impnet may remain, but I think it's in the main going to be a case of revolution, not evolution. The best of luck, lads!

Before I draw to end this gushing piece of trivial self-satisfaction, I'd like to take a few lines thanking everyone who's aided and abetted me with Impnet since August 12th 1996. Most importantly I'd like to thank Ben Supper, an undergraduate from Surrey University who I've never actually met, but who transformed Impnet's graphics overnight for no payment and without even being asked. He also designed the incredibly clever auto-updating league table for the 96-97 season. What a nice man. Then there's my brother, who's kept me fed on snack-like pieces of information from the Echo and Teletext (such as "John Beck's just been sacked!") while I've been in the local paper and TV-free zone that is Nottingham University. Cheers, mate. Simon Mills also has to get a mention. After all, before it went all Official on our ass, Impernet used to be Impnet's sister site, with info on all the squad an stuff. And Si has let me nick countless things off Impernet that I couldn't be arsed to do myself. Like travel to Wigan to see an Auto Windscreens game on a Tuesday night, then write a 900-word report on it. Diamond, ahem, geezer. Finally, how could I forget all the lovely people who over the last 24 months have added to their (or more likely, their bosses') phone bill every week by logging on to and marvelling at the electronic wonderment that is (or was) Impnet. I think my final visitor tally was something like 27,000, which averages out to about 37 hits a day over two years. Which at least makes me think that, at the end of the day, Brian, it was worth it. Thanks, everyone.

Harry Winckworth