A bit of an epic, what makes me proud now and hope in the future | Vital Football

A bit of an epic, what makes me proud now and hope in the future

VMF was fantastic , not only the food but the chance it gave to young kids to learn a trade.

Some of them went on to work in really top end places .

All due to VMF

Nicely put JF.

When you actually think about Aston Villa FC it's a bit frightening to think just how big a hold they have on your emotions and how big a part they have played in your life.

But through all the highs and lows of following the Villa around England when I lived in the UK, the ecstasy and tears of winning some silverware and sharing the occasions with friends and complete strangers giving them massive hugs! -Then the deep lows of relegations and losing finals - but do you know what?......I wouldn't change a single bloody thing!

Up The Villa:utv::utv::utv:

Last edited:
we are one of the founding members of the English Football League, we are one of only a few English clubs to have lifted the European Cup, back when it was for League winners only and it was a knock out competition from the off (none of this mini league rubbish), tradition, values, great stadium, huge fanbase, unique name, the lion on the shirt......

Was born a Villa fan. Didn't have much choice in our household.

They do say that you can have an brain operation to stop being a Villa fan, but it turns you into a Baggies fan, and if they make a mistake you end up a Blues fan.

Does the system know if you've read the article or not?

Just scroll down the page like you have to sometimes with terms and conditions, that'll probably fool him!

But seriously, very good article JF, lot's there to be proud of over the last 10 years.

Just being a Villa fan makes me proud. Through all the ups and downs and constant frustration our support never wavers.

Villa Park is a special place for me, its the area, the history, football and industrial. My parents grew up in summer Lane. I'm big into the history of Birmingham, it's history and it's buildings even though I've lived in Nuneaton for 26 years. When Im at villa Park I feel its where my soul wants to be, sounds daft but it is more than just a team, it's me and my grandad who passed away in 1975 but would be at the villa in winter with over coat and shirt having my nan moaning at him that he'd catch his death of a cold.
We have never in my lifetime really capitalised on our potential but maybe, just maybe this could be the time to do it. My eldest lad is 18 now and started going under mcleish, he's only ever known crap but he's mad for it.

When my Dad told us that he had to go to England for work, I was devastated. I was 10 years old and became "the man of the house" after he left. The year or so after his unwilling departure from Belfast was pretty awful, to be frank.
He went to Birmingham because he had a cousin who lived in Longbridge who put him up for a few weeks until he got sorted out.
Bless him, he wrote to me every week and then started to send me "The Sports Argus" which used to plop onto the hall floor most Monday mornings.
That's what really started me as a Villa supporter, reading the match reports. I even wrote in after relegation to express my confidence that with a manager like Joe Mercer, instant promotion was assured. For once I was right.
Fast foward to 1963 and I made my first visit to "The Hall of Memories" with Dad (who purported to be a Baggies supporter) and purchaseda claret and blue scarf somewhere downtown to bring back to a bemused Belfast.
Then I moved to England myself in late 1964. Living in London, I'd hitch up regularly to see the parents (Mum and sister, Margaret, were now in situ in Brum) and pay my shilling fare on the buse from Stoney Lane to Villa Park. When I got confident of myself, I'd pay sixpence and get the Inner Circle to Aston Cross. When Villa came down to London, I'd go and see them.
It was in the London "Evening Standard" that I read Chelsea had signed Tony Hateley for £100,000 and knew the game was up.
Well, I could ramble on in this vein for some time but won't.
I'm still sad Dad couldn't make a decent living in Belfast but I'm glad that he ended up in Birmingham. Imagine, if he'd gone to Manchester!
Villa is part of who I am.

Sounds like i am up my own backside but I feel more of a proper fan than the plastic you get nowadays.
It feels pure and unmanufactured being a villa fan. I mean genuinely how many of our fans support us because we are or were successful?.
They may have success but I just look down at Chelsea, Citeh and Manure fans because pretty much those that I see round my way are fan boys, never go, and have never been within miles and miles of the grounds.

However shit we are doing, however bad it gets, however it pisses me off I'm always asking my self the question . Would you rather have AVFC in or out of your life. And the answer is obviously YES.

When I turned 40 I said I would get a Villa tattoo. Not got round to it yet but I'm going to go for it and get it done as soon as I can this summer . That's what Villa means to me.

Sounds like i am up my own backside but I feel more of a proper fan than the plastic you get nowadays.
It feels pure and unmanufactured being a villa fan. I mean genuinely how many of our fans support us because we are or were successful?.
They may have success but I just look down at Chelsea, Citeh and Manure fans because pretty much those that I see round my way are fan boys, never go, and have never been within miles and miles of the grounds.

However shit we are doing, however bad it gets, however it pisses me off I'm always asking my self the question . Would you rather have AVFC in or out of your life. And the answer is obviously YES.

When I turned 40 I said I would get a Villa tattoo. Not got round to it yet but I'm going to go for it and get it done as soon as I can this summer . That's what Villa means to me.

got mine done about 15 years ago, the claret red lion rampant, sits proudly over my left man boob. I have pondered about another one, we'll see.

How can we as supporters tell the new owners what makes this club Aston Villa, a unique, special club so they fully engage and understand what it is that they have acquired.

Yes it's tradition and history of course, but these more modern reasons JF has written about are terrific also.

One great story that most older fans will be familiar with is the "Nazi salute story"from the 1930's, linked here.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2013/02/2...e-two-fingers-to-hitlers-nazi-germany/page/1/

It's interesting to know what other stories and reasons other fans had that could tell Mr Sawiris and Mr Edens what makes us proud to be Villa and why they should be proud custodians of this wonderful club.

Villa has been a constant presence in my life amidst what has otherwise been a sea of change and uncertainty. It's a physical and emotional link
to a geograpical area with which I now have no other human connection. It's memories of moments shared with family members long past.

Although my physical attendance has fluctuated and diminished over the years, the experiences the club has given me will always be an important part of who I am. Every trip to Villa Park will always be like going home.