A bit of a dilemma | Vital Football

A bit of a dilemma

gator

Vital Champions League
Almost four year ago I had a very serious accident at work which resulted in chopping my calf off smashing my ankle which is still broke and severing the nerve for one side of my leg just below my knee so the left side of my leg and foot below my knee is completely numb.

So obviously has the accident was totally of no fault of my own I have a very considerable claim for damages and loss of earnings going on.My claim was due to be settled early July so I had to have a meeting this morning with my solicitor and barrister to prepare for the July meeting with the other side.However my recent report from the orthopaedic surgeon has suggested that I have a 60% chance of having my leg amputated below the knee within the next 5 years so this news has just blown my claim apart leaving the settlement date in July impossible now has this has massively shifted the goal posts.My solicitor and barrister are strongly recommending that I have this done not only because it enhances my claim but also that if I incorporate this in my claim now I will get the very best prosthetic leg available and for obvious reasons the younger I am the better my chances of mastering the art of walking properly again.

So obviously this is my dilemma and basically what i'm hoping for is some feedback off anyone who has either had this done or knows someone who has and did it improve the quality of life.Personally I would rather keep my leg but it does seem that this will more than likely the wrong route fuck this hard any help would be greatly received.

Om sorry you got this news gator dude bloody hell mate, when i seen your leg i was bloody amazed how you could walk or even get about on it, yam a tough bugger i know that, my great grandad lost his leg and i remember infections etc but now there is better understanding so i won't go on about that,

Been looking into what it entails for you to consider this getting done mate and it is as i bet you know a tough thing but you could do it cos yam a tough sod, the pshychological impact seems to be the main thing at first dealing with so a therapist they claim is needed to help, but its a long process and tough but whatever you need to be done for the best you can do it i believe that cos yam strong enough,

Been reading round which i know you can and probably have etc, but here is a bit about some questions and answers:-

What happens after the amputation? Are bionic limbs available that can make me just like I was before?

A: A prosthesis is not bionic. It is an artificial replacement for a missing limb or part of a limb. Although a prosthesis is never as natural as your own limb, it can help you to do many things quite effectively if you are willing to combine your energy and willpower into learning how to use it. The most important aspect of success is working with your doctor, prosthetist and therapist to address all of your concerns, and then to work with them on the processes of design, fitting and training, which are required to be a successful user.

Q: What does a prosthesis look like? How will it stay on?

A: Depending on the level of your amputation, physical ability and functional needs, each prosthesis will be somewhat different. If you desire a "cosmetic look," prosthetic supplements are available. But, for most standard prostheses, they are comprised of conventional component parts attached to a socket that fits over your residual limb.

Q: How does a prosthesis work? Will I be able to do all the things I did before I lost my limb?

A: The majority of people who lose a limb can get back to a normal mode of functioning within a few to several months, depending on the location of the amputation as well as physical ability. How well they function depends primarily on their goals along with timely, comfortable prosthetic fitting, good follow-up care, and a "can do" attitude from themselves as well as their medical team.

Q: When will I get a prosthesis?

A: Generally, you should be ready for prosthetic measurements and fitting a few weeks after surgery, when the wound is healed and the tissue swelling is decreased. Then you will be ready for prosthetic measurements and fitting. This process can be easily attained with exercise and rehabilitation. During this stage, your medical team also will be concerned with maintaining proper shape of the residual limb, as well as increasing overall strength and function. Fitting is usually stress-free and involves several steps to create a unique prosthesis for you.

Q: What if the prosthesis doesn't fit right?

A: Follow-up is as important as the initial fitting. You will need to make several visits for adjustments with the prosthetist as well as training with a therapist. They can help you ease pressure areas, adjust alignment, work out any problems, and regain the skills you need to adapt to life after limb loss. Tell your prosthetist if the manufactured limb is uncomfortable, too loose or too tight. Ask questions about things you need or want to do. Communicate honestly about your needs. The more you communicate with your prosthetist and therapist, the better you will be able to succeed with a prosthesis.

Q: How long will it last?

A: Depending on your age, activity level and growth, the prosthesis can last anywhere from several months to several years. In the early stages after limb loss, many changes occur in the residual limb that can lead to shrinking of the limb. This may require socket changes, the addition of liners, or even a different device. Later on, increased activity level and desire for additional function can necessitate a change in the prosthesis or its parts. Once you are comfortably adjusted and functioning at the desired level of activity, the prosthesis needs only minor repairs or maintenance and can last for an average of three years.

Q: Is it difficult learning to use a prosthesis?

A: Learning to use a prosthesis is a tough job. It takes time, great effort, strength, patience and perseverance. You will do best to work with a therapist while learning how to handle the new device. Much like learning how to operate a car, you will need guidance on how to:

take care of the prosthesis

put on (don) and take off (doff) the prosthesis

walk on different types of surfaces, including stairs and uneven terrain

handle emergencies safely, including falling down and getting up again

perform daily activities at home, at work and even in a car

investigate new things you may be uncertain of, including sports and recreational activities.

Q: What can I do to prepare myself for a prosthesis?

A: There is a lot you can and must do to be able to use a prosthesis and use it well. The top priorities are:

working through the feelings about losing a limb and deciding how to rebuild your life after amputation

exercising to build the muscles needed for balance and ambulation

preparing and taking care of your residual limb to attain a proper, sound shape for the prosthesis

learning proper body positioning and strengthening, to maintain tone and prevent contractures.

Q: Will I need to use a wheelchair or crutches?

A: Some people elect not to use a prosthesis, relying exclusively on mobility devices. However, with a prosthesis, the use of crutches or a wheelchair depends on several factors including level of amputation, whether you have a single or bilateral amputation, and your respective level of balance and strength. Most amputees have a pair of crutches for times when the limb is off, including nighttime trips to the bathroom, showering, participating in certain sports, and to help if problems arise that may require leaving the prosthesis off for any length of time.

If you are a person who has lost both legs, you will probably use a wheelchair at least some of the time. Unilateral amputees may find it helpful to use a cane or crutches for balance and support in the early stages of walking or just to have a break from the prosthesis. This is an individual decision based on factors such as age, balance, strength and sense of security.

Q: Once I have been fitted and feel comfortable in its function, what will happen next?

A: Plan on making follow-up visits to your prosthetist a normal part of your life. Proper fit of the socket and good alignment will insure that the prosthesis is useful to you. Prostheses, like cars, need regular maintenance and repair to continue efficient functioning. Small adjustments can make a big difference.

Q: Can the limb break down?

A: Yes, things can happen that will require repair or replacement, so it's a good idea to know about warranties and what to expect from your prosthetist. Get small problems with your prosthesis taken care of promptly. There is no benefit to waiting until something falls apart or causes you serious skin breakdown. If you wear a prosthesis too long when it needs repairs or replacement, you can do harm, not only to your residual limb, but also to other parts of your body. Strain on other muscles, especially in your back and shoulders, will affect posture in addition to performance of the device and energy needed to use it. Early prevention is more valuable than long-term treatment.

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/fact_sheets/prosfaq.html

I trust you to do the best thing and my heart goes out to ya mate and best wishes, knocked me sick for ya mate this news has, always feckin happens to the good ens in life i swear on it!!

Sorry to hear all that. One question, are you in a union or trade organisation ? Depending on your answer to that I may be able to advise you.

Bugger! I'm afraid that's all I feel qualified to add to this thread.

Gator, if it's 60% over 5 years, is it more than 60% over 10 years? I mean, is an amputation inevitable?

Cheers Clive thats great mate cheers lads as you can appreciate it's been a bit of a shock for me even though deep down I have always known this could happen one day.

BB obviously the chances will be even greater 10 years time this is why it would be in my best interests to sort it now whilst i'm still quite young.The hard thing is I have 3 weeks to make my decision.

Defo makes sense too have anything done like this in earlier life rather than older years cos you am fitter and stronger, i totally get your dilema, i just wished there was something we could do man but forget that bollox just me and mar wishful thinking, am you alright to have your holiday and all that and let off some steam before they do the operation i know you said 3 weeks until they want to know an anser but how soon they want to do it if you decide yes mate

Bloody hell Gator I knew the accident was a bad one but didn't realise it was that bad. Wish I was qualified to help. If I was in pain from the injury I'd be tempted to go for it. Looking at the guys you see in the marathon, the ex-servicemen, etc the new prosthetics are incredible.

Tough choice you have there buddy.

ClivetheVillan - 22/5/2015 16:29

Defo makes sense too have anything done like this in earlier life rather than older years cos you am fitter and stronger, i totally get your dilema, i just wished there was something we could do man but forget that bollox just me and mar wishful thinking, am you alright to have your holiday and all that and let off some steam before they do the operation i know you said 3 weeks until they want to know an anser but how soon they want to do it if you decide yes mate
Yeah mate go next friday basically that's what he has said get ya head together and me and my missus have a good think and chat about it while were away.

gator - 22/5/2015 16:45

Yeah mate go next friday basically that's what he has said get ya head together and me and my missus have a good think and chat about it while were away.

Best way mate best way, :55: Cheshire dude is right you know the new prostetic legs am amazing today so either way you will be alright gator dude, your mrs is there for ya and us lot you ever need a lift round these parts etc for anything you got my number!!!!

Cheshire Villan - 22/5/2015 16:36

Bloody hell Gator I knew the accident was a bad one but didn't realise it was that bad. Wish I was qualified to help. If I was in pain from the injury I'd be tempted to go for it. Looking at the guys you see in the marathon, the ex-servicemen, etc the new prosthetics are incredible.

Tough choice you have there buddy.
Yeah mate it was a bad one i'm lucky to be alive tbh.There is one thing about me I can be very strong minded there is no way this will beat me and I have been told I will get the very best private treatment and prosthetic leg so I do have a lot better chance than most.

Cheers buddy

ClivetheVillan - 22/5/2015 16:47

gator - 22/5/2015 16:45

Best way mate best way, :55: Cheshire dude is right you know the new prostetic legs am amazing today so either way you will be alright gator dude, your mrs is there for ya and us lot you ever need a lift round these parts etc for anything you got my number!!!!
Yam a good un me mon :35:

A client of mine had an accident last year, and he ended up with an amputation below the knee. You'd never know. He walks the same as he did before.

They did tell him he had done particularly well, and he took to it very quickly, but he says it hardly affects his quality of life at all.

If there is any chance you'll have to have it done anyway, the sooner the better. It is truly amazing what they can do for you these days, gator.

I am greatful for you posting that info Heath dude, been talking to me dad all afternoon about gator dude and hoping he will be alright great to hear other folks coping and not affecting there loves for him, great to hear,,,,,and i ay jokin gator dude, yam ever in our area way and need a lift we got a car and it would be no trouble at all just remember mate!!!

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 22/5/2015 19:14

A client of mine had an accident last year, and he ended up with an amputation below the knee. You'd never know. He walks the same as he did before.

They did tell him he had done particularly well, and he took to it very quickly, but he says it hardly affects his quality of life at all.

If there is any chance you'll have to have it done anyway, the sooner the better. It is truly amazing what they can do for you these days, gator.
Just about sums up the way i'm thinking mate sooner is definitely better than later. Funnily enough last week outside St Mary's I was talking to a Gurkha collecting for Nepal who had trod on a IED in Afghanistan and he was a double amputee and he seemed perfectly happy enough and getting about ok which does give me a little encouragement.Told my mother a couple of hours ago and she took it a lot better than I thought she would.Reckon i'm just about there decision wise still going give it some thought but I reckon it's adeus.

ClivetheVillan - 22/5/2015 19:47

I am greatful for you posting that info Heath dude, been talking to me dad all afternoon about gator dude and hoping he will be alright great to hear other folks coping and not affecting there loves for him, great to hear,,,,,and i ay jokin gator dude, yam ever in our area way and need a lift we got a car and it would be no trouble at all just remember mate!!!
Well hopefully I will be driving again after everything has healed, automatic obviously but I reckon that would be easy enough.Thanks for the offer though me mon you truly do have a heart of gold.

Your a strong fucker gator. Whatever you decide you will get on with life no doubt at all.

If it hurts and is only going to get worse, I know the decision I would be making. You can then start to rebuild and get on with life and hopefully get the compensation you no doubt deserve.

The Fear - 22/5/2015 21:40

Your a strong fucker gator. Whatever you decide you will get on with life no doubt at all.

If it hurts and is only going to get worse, I know the decision I would be making. You can then start to rebuild and get on with life and hopefully get the compensation you no doubt deserve.
Cheers mate honestly J the barrister did not mince his words he said if it was him it would be a no brainer.Problem was me and the missus turned up there today expecting to be discussing how much to expect before the July meeting in the barrister chambers at Newcastle crown court only to be hit with this.Can't say I was overly surprised I always knew deep down this could be the long term prognosis just didn't expect to be so sudden.The orthopaedic surgeon had fast tracked the report to him so he obviously thinks it's a necessity it was just the abruptness that took me back.He said to have a good think about it on holiday I think I will too pissed to think now.Anyway hope your having a good time bud oh and yes we are talking big numbers.

It will have been a nasty shock Gator. Knowing it and hearing it are 2 different things. I wish you well. Not an easy decision to make in one sense, yet in another.. enjoy your holiday gator