82/83 Comparisons | Page 12 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

My dad started at Robeys as an apprentice, age 15 in about 1948. Worked there until they closed making his way to being a draughtsman and then a contracts engineer.

He was transferred into the company that took over Robeys and retired at 65. Effectively, one company his whole life. Different world.

Bert Bowery played twice as many league games for Lincoln than in the rest of his league career and had a 1 in for 4 goal record for us.

Admittedly he only played 6 league games and scored one goal for us, but nevertheless ...
Just looked him up. I never realised Jordan Bowery (now at Mansfield but very successful for Crewe) is his son.

After 32 games, The Imps produced a much improved display against Brentford, with goals from Cockerill and Bell with his 20th League goal of the season and 26th overall. Hobson & Thompson were still missing through injury and Phil Turner limped off in the 2nd half. The attendance was 3,698 our lowest since the midweek Orient game back in September.

Up next a tricky fixture away at improving Bradford City who had come within a whisker of drawing with us back in late October, due to Marshall Burke's brilliant free kick in the last minute at the South Park End.

The Imps are in a better position in 2021, only 2 pts behind leaders Hull & Peterborough, compared to 8 pts behind Portsmouth.

32.jpg

Can still remember the goal by Cockerill, ran from the halfway line and dinked it over the keeper, we were in the south park stand.

After 32 games, The Imps produced a much improved display against Brentford, with goals from Cockerill and Bell with his 20th League goal of the season and 26th overall. Hobson & Thompson were still missing through injury and Phil Turner limped off in the 2nd half. The attendance was 3,698 our lowest since the midweek Orient game back in September.

Up next a tricky fixture away at improving Bradford City who had come within a whisker of drawing with us back in late October, due to Marshall Burke's brilliant free kick in the last minute at the South Park End.

The Imps are in a better position in 2021, only 2 pts behind leaders Hull & Peterborough, compared to 8 pts behind Portsmouth.

View attachment 46633
Are you sure (Burke) it was a freekick? I remember it being a worldie swinger, from open play. It certainly flew in however it was launched.

Yes, I can still visualise it now as I was sat on the SE Corner wall.

Glenn tapped it sideways and Marshall blasted it home with some venom from a good 25 yards out. :wahey:

I remember that goal too :yes: Bradford had frustrated us all throughout that game and it had 0-0 written all over it until the last minute. If I remember rightly Burke also scored in the return game at Bradford which I went to as well.

Gameweek 33: Just like 38 years ago The Imps drew a tricky away fixture at improving Bradford City 1-1. Marshall Burke netting as he'd done in the home fixture in front of a crowd at 5,026. Colin Brazier made his Imps debut after signing from Birmingham City, and played alongside Peakey in defence.

The next fixture was a very difficult looking trip to the Manor Ground to face Oxford who were still unbeaten at home.

33.jpg

"I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling that history is repeating itself" ...

History never repeats events. Although there are some similarities between the current season and 1982-83, there are also many differences. Significantly, in 1982-83 the team management and board of directors were not united with a common objective.

Sometimes you can overthink these matters. The Chronicle, in the early part of 1972, suggested the Imps were a near certainty for promotion as 1971-72 continued the pattern of success for 1911-12, 1931-32 and 1951-52. Of course history didn't repeat itself and we didn't go up that season.

I beg to differ .... it couldn't be more similar if we tried?

Gameweek 34: Sadly a narrow 1 goal defeat at The Manor Ground to improving Oxford Utd under Jim Smith is mirrored 38 years later v Rochdale (although there was nothing narrow about our latest defeat in 2021)

Back then a decent crowd of 5,321 saw a debut for local lad Gerard Creane in midfield for the injured Glenn Cockerill, but Steve Thompson was back in defence after missing the last 4 games through injury himself.

Next up a home game v local rivals Chesterfield who were in freefall heading towards the bottom of the table where they would eventually finish.

34.jpg

Gameweek 34: Sadly a narrow 1 goal defeat at The Manor Ground to improving Oxford Utd under Jim Smith is mirrored 38 years later v Rochdale.
Back then a decent crowd of 5,321 saw a debut for local lad Gerard Creane in midfield for the injured Glenn Cockerill,

Creane, who played up front in Cockerill's place, had made a handful of appearances during the two previous seasons.

With Phil Turner also unfit we had the 17-year-old defender Gary Strodder playing in midfield

Gary Strodder, then only 17; another who went on to have a decent long football career after leaving City.

1982–1987 Lincoln City, 132 (6)
1987–1990 West Ham United, 65 (2)
1990–1995 West Bromwich Albion 140 (8)
1995–1999Notts County 121 (10)

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles...-made-ex-hammer-gary-strodder-swapping-fourth

“On Tuesday, I was playing in front of 1,196 people against Torquay United at Sincil Bank and, just four days later, I was sitting in the Away dressing room at Chelsea waiting to make my West Ham debut at Stamford Bridge."

“If I’m totally honest, I’ve fallen out of love with the game a bit, but I still follow all my old teams!”

And we gained circa £100,000, not bad in 1987.

Creane, who played up front in Cockerill's place, had made a handful of appearances during the two previous seasons.

With Phil Turner also unfit we had the 17-year-old defender Gary Strodder playing in midfield
My mistake, yes Ged made his debut replacing an injured Mickey Harford in Murph’s first ever away win as Imps Manager at Saltergate 3 years previously.