82/83 Comparisons | Page 11 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

A long fruitless journey down to Devon, saw The Imps lose by 2 goals (uncanny isn't it) to Exeter in another defeat, this time 1-3 with Stuart Hibberd playing as a makeshift No: 9 in place of the injured Gordon Hobson. We didn't even have enough players to field a substitute, as no doubt Murph felt less inclined to put Stuart Naylor on the bench.

The 17-year-old Gary Strodder was an unused substitute.

Steve Thompson was also injured, so Gordon Simmonite played alongside Trevor Peake with David Carr at right back.

The 17-year-old Gary Strodder was an unused substitute.

Steve Thompson was also injured, so Gordon Simmonite played alongside Trevor Peake with David Carr at right back.

My mistake, I have no record of this, although Strodder was sub in the next match.

I should have added, with a penchant for homerotic male-oriented football violence.

It takes all sorts.

We beat Brentford 2 1 on this weekend 38 years ago, with a brilliant solo goal from Glenn Cockerilĺ and another from Derek Bell in front of 3698.
The board didn't attend the match

Going back to the support back in the early eighties finance was one of the biggest reasons for a fall off.
I don't want to use old fashioned clichés but the fact was that the fan mix then was totally different to today. The vast majority of fans were working class not the mix across society they are today. It was the Thatcher years the main employment was engineering factories in Lincoln. Thatchers policies totally decimated the industry in Lincoln.
I know from bitter experience myself , I was made redundant from Bucyrus with a wife and young daughter to feed. There wasn't the aid available then from the state there is now or large redundancy payments to live on. They even threatened to cut my electricity off until my Father god bless him scraped enough together to pay the bill.
Although being a massive imps fan every penny counted and my last thought was going to a match I needed to provide for my family first. I am sure there were plenty more like me.

My dad worked at Robeys at the time, a boiler maker. After redundancy, he took a job at Rose Bearings, over Gainsborough way. He also applied for, and got, a job as a prison officer, working at Ranby and then working out a swap with a guy who lived in Retford, to end up at Lincoln nick.

At his interview, one of the interviewers, noting that he wore glasses, asked him about his eyesight. They asked him to remove his glasses and then asked him how many keys the guy was holding in his hands.
"I can see the keys, but can't tell you how many".
"What if an inmate knocks your glasses off?" Asked the interviewer..

"He wouldn't get that far" says my dad.

He got the job.

You could take him out of St Giles, but you couldn't take St Giles out of him...

Last edited:
My dad worked at Robeys at the time, a boiler maker. After redundancy, he took a job at Rose Bearings, over Gainsborough way. He also applied for, and got, a job as a prison officer, working at Ranby and then working out a swap with a guy who lived in Retford, to end up at Lincoln nick.

At his interview, one of the interviewers, noting that he wore glasses, asked him about his eyesight. They asked him to remove his glasses and then asked him how many keys the guy was holding in his hands.
"I can see the keys, but can't tell you how many".
"What if an inmate knocks your glasses off?" Asked the interviewer..

"He wouldn't get that far" says my dad.

He got the job.

You could take him out of St Giles, but you couldn't take St Giles out of him...

Might well have known my dad who worked in the drawing office.