8.5 Million | Page 3 | Vital Football

8.5 Million

There is a second dimension to this TT. The people with the very highest capabilities are often deeply flawed people. In fact all our greatest heroes from Wellington and Nelson to Winston Churchill were thoroughly not nice people, who made terrible decisions and had complicated personal lives, and yet they were capable of achieving greatness. I want great politicians, not acceptable politicians. You couldn't imagine Churchill being Prime Minister today in any circumstances. He'd get slaughtered on twitter.

For a long time I've said that the minimum age for an MP should be 55 and voting should be 30, and I stick to that.

There is a second dimension to this TT. The people with the very highest capabilities are often deeply flawed people. In fact all our greatest heroes from Wellington and Nelson to Winston Churchill were thoroughly not nice people, who made terrible decisions and had complicated personal lives, and yet they were capable of achieving greatness. I want great politicians, not acceptable politicians. You couldn't imagine Churchill being Prime Minister today in any circumstances. He'd get slaughtered on twitter.

For a long time I've said that the minimum age for an MP should be 55 and voting should be 30, and I stick to that.

I agree that the 'greats' are often flawed , a law unto themselves. seeing themselves as unaccountable to us mere mortals and, as I was alluding to with my 'big ideas.blue sky thinkers' remark you need these sort of people.

As you have said before, you need peope who get things done and the mavericks are those sort.. However they also need the pragmatists, the practical ones, to getthings done, to use their experience to implement those ideas.

If you don't have those then you are stuffed and we don't. They are the ones I was referring to-no life experience , no work experience,,no practical experience- and that's why your age proposals make sense

.I would probably drop the age limit to 40 just as long as they have worked for at least 5 years in the private sector! To vote you should also have been employed for at least 3years -and not served on any non accountable committee!

There are an awful lot of very bitter people. Bitter, mainly because they believe so strongly that they are infallible about social policy and the EU and many other things, and cannot for the life of them explain why a majority don't give a monkeys about what they believe. So, the only explanation is that people who don't think like them are stupid, and they must take to Twitter or other social media to dissect every word, thought or deed, mix it with a bit of false news, misinterpret it and then cry 'More lies, more lies..!', as if pointing out how bad the Tories are will somehow convince us all that we should vote for Labours ridiculous nonsense.

TBF, the Tories are a damnable bunch of people you wouldn't want to live next door to, but they are also by some margin the best option for government. Sad state of affairs really....
Exactly, a sad state of affairs.

I think it would be worthwhile making in compulsory for all those eligble to vote that they must vote - otherwise it is a criminal offence, as I believe it is in Australia.

I think it would be worthwhile making in compulsory for all those eligble to vote that they must vote - otherwise it is a criminal offence, as I believe it is in Australia.
You'd need an army of counters to cope and there'd be plentry of spoilt papers!
You'd also need a seperate department to collect the fines of those who don't vote.

Apparently voting day is on a weekend and many areas put on free food to encourage people to vote-you'd need another army of chefs to cope with the veggie,vegan, gluten free, lactose intolerant etc etc to prevent law suits against the local councils

Better would be an intelligence test to rule out the masses :)
Or make it 31 and over to vote :)

If you only allow intelligent people to vote, you'd get no Brexit and Corbyn as a PM..... apparently...

There is a big difference between being intellectual and being intelligent.
The middle class, white Labour elite consider themselves to be “intellectual” (and intelligent!) - just as did the leaders of the Russian revolution - until the far from intellectual Stalin wiped them all out. So who was the smart one?

There is a big difference between being intellectual and being intelligent.
The middle class, white Labour elite consider themselves to be “intellectual” (and intelligent!) - just as did the leaders of the Russian revolution - until the far from intellectual Stalin wiped them all out. So who was the smart one?
So what you sayin rods the smart one on here 🤔 :rotfl:

You'd need an army of counters to cope and there'd be plentry of spoilt papers!
You'd also need a seperate department to collect the fines of those who don't vote.

Apparently voting day is on a weekend and many areas put on free food to encourage people to vote-you'd need another army of chefs to cope with the veggie,vegan, gluten free, lactose intolerant etc etc to prevent law suits against the local councils
They could lay on coaches and have magicians and everyone could make a day of it.
I didn't think about the naughty and disillusioned spoiling their papers!. Wankers!
Might as well forget the whole thing and concentrate on the League and the Cup.