75 years ago | Vital Football

75 years ago

Stevie_imp

Vital Football Legend
Well worth a thought. Right now 75 years ago 617 were all up. First Lancasters leaving scampton runway at 21:28. A bit sobering that 53 aircrew wouldn’t return. That’s 40% who took off. Just a passing thought and pause for reflection.

True heroes and incredible bravery. They must have been terrified at this time 75 years ago. A sobering thought indeed.

Been whistling the theme tune last night and again this morning.
My favourite part of the film is when poor old Barnes Wallis receives news in the Ops room that there has been a successful breach.
Great stuff.

Doing something in London tonight, with Dan Snow hosting.
Showing a remastered version of the film plus demos on the bouncing bomb theory. Being showed round the country at around 300 cinemas at the same, pity the Imps playing tonight sounds like a good evening that.

Nearly crashed the car as the lanc did a beautiful turn overhead when on the bristol ring road on the way home.

Magnificent sight brought a smile to my face

I always take an interest of all the Squadrons in Bomber Command as my late father was a navigator in 587 squadron , Halifax Bombers . I have his flight Log which makes interesting reading .

Hopefully making a visit later this year to the Pettwood Hotel nr Woodhall spa , the local of 617 squadron .

Someone mentioned "heros " earlier , I tend to agree , but my father would totally disagree , he would say "we were just doing our job".

Such a shame various British Governments didn't agree .

Fully agree Chesh. 125,000 volunteers served following orders. 55,573 were killed in action following those orders. Plus 8,403 wounded and 9,838 POWs. Only service in the western theatre during WWII that had heavier casualties was the German submarine service. More aircrew died on some raids than in the whole of the Battle of Britain !

Yet post war the only British armed forces not to get a service award medal was Bomber Command.

Disgusting.

Spot on Stevie . Seems you get a knight hood for winning a tennis match , a few cycle races , or even a three cups in a season . But fuk all for defending your country as a volunteer .

Even the memorial in Hyde park, which i have visited a numerous occasions , and hopefully this weekend as well ,didn't open till 2012 .
No money to fund the Memorial was received from the Ministry of the Defense , although the MInister at the time Phillip Hammond , did attend .

disgusting as you say ,although my father kept his thought to himself , but i knew what he was thinking