75/76 Similarities? ?⚪️ | Page 8 | Vital Football

75/76 Similarities? ?⚪️

I recall I have seen some seen some cine film footage in the dark recesses of the internet of this Reading match, with the legendary Robin Friday playing for Reading. Coincidentally, I caught Friday's widow being interviewed last week on Radio 5. I missed the start of the interview, however it sounded like a book has been published on Friday's exploits.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I was listening in the car but reached my destination before the Friday thing was on. The book was actually published in 1998. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Footballer-You-Never-Saw/dp/1840181087

The radio programme is here (the Friday stuff starts at 1:42:10) https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000lbf

Thanks for reminding me about that. I was listening in the car but reached my destination before the Friday thing was on. The book was actually published in 1998. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Footballer-You-Never-Saw/dp/1840181087

The radio programme is here (the Friday stuff starts at 1:42:10) https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000lbf

I read that Robin Friday book years ago, I highly recommend it, what a character he was ..... made George Best sound tame.

Think that was one of big Percy's last games for us l think?

With the talk of the Stoke game I do remember him terrorising Shilton that night.

One of my closest friends is a Reading fan and I didn't imagine he would have made much impression there, with practically giving the game up before he came back to the Imps, but my friend has always said that Percy also has a semi legendary status amongst Reading supporters.

The Stoke match was one I remember well the Imps were the better team on the night. The Stoke fans were intent on causing trouble , a few of us retired to the old Civil Defence Club after the match and watched them running riot up the high street. Mr Shilton didn't go far after the match as he was in the Aquarius nightclub afterwards. That was then there was only really two nightclubs in Lincoln the Aquarius and the New Penny. Great memories.

I went to school with a lass who was a victim of that wall collapse. She had a few years of misery after this.
I was at reading as well, 1-1 draw I think? Remember climbing over a fence with col bowyer and jimmy a, to avoid some locals during this game. Big crowd, 15000 I think from memory.
Again not many Imps fans there.
Is it a richer time to live nowadays?

The Stoke match was one I remember well the Imps were the better team on the night. The Stoke fans were intent on causing trouble , a few of us retired to the old Civil Defence Club after the match and watched them running riot up the high street. Mr Shilton didn't go far after the match as he was in the Aquarius nightclub afterwards. That was then there was only really two nightclubs in Lincoln the Aquarius and the New Penny. Great memories.

I was 15 at the time .I remember the trouble up the high street .I was too young to hide in a pub so I got stuck in

Well, we are still a couple of points ahead relatively speaking, although this might be more similar to the 1980/81 season with such a tight defence. 7 fewer goals, but 6 less conceded. F5F4C239-E87E-49A2-80B6-D6457BF81434.jpeg

This was from the following season 76/77 Bazzzer ... we let slip a 2 goal lead, including Perc’s 27 secs opener.

Yes, that was pointed out to me yesterday. Perce mentioned conceding lots of goals up to the Tranmere match (1976) ... in 1975, the Tranmere match was the third time in four games that 2 had been conceded.

I'm not disputing there were Imps on the South Park terrace, but that was were the Stoke fans were, I still to this day remember them pouring in. Given the de facto Lincoln 'end' would have been the Railway Terrace/Clanford back then.
I thought the delay was longer than 5 minutes.
There was no proper segregation in those days, and there were usually far fewer travelling fans than we get now. I was at school at the time and one of my teachers was manning a turnstile at the South Park end. Next day he told us he’d been attacked by Stoke fans and many of them forced their way into the ground without paying .

I thought the delay was longer than 5 minutes.
There was no proper segregation in those days, and there were usually far fewer travelling fans than we get now. I was at school at the time and one of my teachers was manning a turnstile at the South Park end. Next day he told us he’d been attacked by Stoke fans and many of them forced their way into the ground without paying .

Oh dear .... were they all huge donkey jacket/sheepskin clad brutes in flares, or is that just my warped memory? I trust your teacher suffered no permanent damage and carried on his sterling work?

Bump: Well we've actually gone ahead on goal difference +2 as well as maintaining the 2 point gap .... I'm actually beginning to think that we could actually match Taylor's record breakers, as we still havn't clicked into gear fully at Sinny Bank?

003.jpg