75/76 Similarities? ?⚪️ | Page 7 | Vital Football

75/76 Similarities? ?⚪️

I stood on the Kop (or half-Kop for those who remember it). I think they may have stopped using the cricket ground side by then - not sure. But at that ground I only ever stood on the Kop or on the grass at the side.
My first visit there was for that Sunday fixture a decade later L1-3 .... the only occasions I’d seen it before was when George Best netted 6 and Villa won in an FA Cup game, I didn’t even realise it was 3 sided ?

My first visit there was for that Sunday fixture a decade later L1-3 .... the only occasions I’d seen it before was when George Best netted 6 and Villa won in an FA Cup game, I didn’t even realise it was 3 sided ?

First time I went there was in the 1971/72 season - I remember John Worsdale scoring. At that time on the cricket ground side they had what you might call portable wooden terracing - only about three steps of it though. By the time of the following season's game it was no longer there and you just stood behind the rope on the grass. Can't remember for sure, but that may have been the last season they allowed spectators on that side.

I also went to Bramall Lane once (not to see City play) when that was three-sided, but they didn't allow spectators on the cricket ground side.

I stood on the Kop (or half-Kop for those who remember it). I think they may have stopped using the cricket ground side by then - not sure. But at that ground I only ever stood on the Kop or on the grass at the side.
I paid to get in the home end that day. Spending much of the rest of the day working my way around to the the funny shaped kop. I used the cricket side where they had a rope up and fans stood along the length of the pitch on the grass. I got there in the second half. Strange how memories are reawoke.

Having been living away from Lincoln for some time before the 1975-76 season, I wasn't aware of the circumstances regarding the loan of Bowery and Woodcock. I came across this today- (flu ravaged City scraped home 6-0 before 8,080 with the loanees scoring 2 apiece)
xlc.jpg

Having been living away from Lincoln for some time before the 1975-76 season, I wasn't aware of the circumstances regarding the loan of Bowery and Woodcock. I came across this today- (flu ravaged City scraped home 6-0 before 8,080 with the loanees scoring 2 apiece)
View attachment 29378

I remember the match well, it must have been half term as YT and mates went see Carry on Behind at the Odeon in the afternoon and made our way to the match afterwards, seeing the entire away support in a mini-bus en route. If memory serves Woodcock scored with an overhead kick into the Railway End goals.

Love the typo in that Echo piece.

It reminds me of a story Peter Sellars told about when he was in the Goons and he received fan mail asking to send a singed photo of himself. He and Spike Milligan took great delight in burning all of the edges of a Sellars photo with a lighter.

A week later they turned up to find more fan mail including one from the fellow who had returned his photo to Sellars. Inside he left a note "thank you for your photo Mr Sellars but I am returning it to you as this one has been signed around the edges"

I remember the wall collapsing as I was sat transfixed on the SE corner wall behind the corner flag .... only one of a couple of images lodged in my memory from that season sadly as I was only 6.

Was play only held up for 5 mins? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single pic of the incident, the only similar occasion was of Liverfool fans at Walsall a few years later in a League Cup semi?

I remember the wall collapsing as I was sat transfixed on the SE corner wall behind the corner flag .... only one of a couple of images lodged in my memory from that season sadly as I was only 6.

Was play only held up for 5 mins? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single pic of the incident, the only similar occasion was of Liverfool fans at Walsall a few years later in a League Cup semi?

I recall the Echo had some pictures in the followings days paper.

I have no recall of the game being heldup for any great length of time and afterwards then a line of Rozzas behind Grotiers goal keeping the Stoke massive back. I have no doubt if something similiar happened today the match would have been abandoned and robbed the Imps of one of their greatest moments.

Last edited:

I was in the South Park stand that night so it happened right in front of me. I've no idea how long the stoppage was so if they say five minutes, fair enough.

Now, again those hazy memories. There was brief mention elsewhere the other day about the Boston F.A. Cup tie a couple of months after that. Didn't the wall partially collapse there as well, where the City fans were congregated?

Its strange to think that Stoke were quite a glamour team back then. Shilton in goal, the Greenhoff brothers, Mike Pejic and the pin up boy Alan Hudson among others I can't remember.

Standing behind the wall at the Railway End I remember Shilton making 3 or 4 back breaking saves in the first half. It was a magical night under the Sincil Bank floodlights, with Boothy's flying header to win the match.

Last edited:
Of course the wall collapased at the Stoke end.

Not really. There were loads of Lincoln fans in the South Park paddock including me on the wall. The delay wasn't that long but we had to spend the rest of the match crouched on the grass behind the touchline. In those days, no one knew how much time was being added on, so there were lots of anxious glances at watches.

Not really. There were loads of Lincoln fans in the South Park paddock including me on the wall. The delay wasn't that long but we had to spend the rest of the match crouched on the grass behind the touchline. In those days, no one knew how much time was being added on, so there were lots of anxious glances at watches.

I'm not disputing there were Imps on the South Park terrace, but that was were the Stoke fans were, I still to this day remember them pouring in. Given the de facto Lincoln 'end' would have been the Railway Terrace/Clanford back then.

Last edited:
Its strange to think that Stoke were quite a glamour team back then. Shilton in goal, the Greenhoff brothers, Mike Pejic and the pin up boy Alan Hudson among others I can't remember.

Stoke team that night: Peter Shilton; Alan Bloor, Alan Dodd, Jackie Marsh, Mike Pejic; Terry Conroy, Sean Haslegrave, Alan Hudson, John Mahoney; Jimmy Greenhoff, Ian Moores.

The entire defence - Dodd, Bloor, Marsh and Pejic - all played over 300 games each for Stoke, as did Mahoney, Conroy and Greenhoff. Incredible loyalty.

The back page of the Daily Mirror Saturday the 10th April 1976. Ahead of an away match at Reading. I couldn't make the match as I was at a family wedding.

I recall I have seen some seen some cine film footage in the dark recesses of the internet of this Reading match, with the legendary Robin Friday playing for Reading. Coincidentally, I caught Friday's widow being interviewed last week on Radio 5. I missed the start of the interview, however it sounded like a book has been published on Friday's exploits.

10th Apl 1976.jpg

Last edited: