617 | Vital Football

poacherimp

Vital Reserves Team
Mentioned several times in Southports live match updates.
http://www.southportfc.net/news/details.php?news_id=12040

"I have to say the Lincoln supporters are the noisiest we come across each season. Great backing for their team."

They weren't too keen on the drum though :pointy:

Keep it up fellas :clappy:

I can understand why people don't like drums especially if they are just banged non stop. I say bring back the trumpets!

imps_joe - 21/2/2016 16:10

I can understand why people don't like drums especially if they are just banged non stop. I say bring back the trumpets!
Air raid siren please

Ringo's drums and the trumpets helped form team Lincoln, the atmosphere was great. But 617 do a fantastic job. Would be good if the rest of the Co-Op joined in, then that would be awesome, the sporadic times that the noise spreads across the stand is great.

A club is for life

Its good to see some atmosphere at matches! And 617 sqn do a great job! Like said though would be great if all the co op got going like against tranmere it spread accross and sounded great

Bloodaxe - 21/2/2016 16:51

Ringo's drums and the trumpets helped form team Lincoln, the atmosphere was great. But 617 do a fantastic job. Would be good if the rest of the Co-Op joined in, then that would be awesome, the sporadic times that the noise spreads across the stand is great.

A club is for life

There was one occasion, late in the second half, when folks behind me (not 617) started chanting "come on Lincoln, come on Lincoln" and the 617 joined in. Great stuff.

Reading Southport's forum it was refreshing to see fans that aren't sore losers. Most accepting we we deserved it and played well. One fan even saying we were 'excellent', haven't heard that about us in a long time!

poacherimp - 21/2/2016 16:05

"I have to say the Lincoln supporters are the noisiest we come across each season. Great backing for their team."

If we really want to annoy the away fans I can bring along a few vuvuzelas although it might also chase away a lot of the home fans.

SAToffeeImp - 22/2/2016 09:44

If we really want to annoy the away fans I can bring along a few vuvuzelas although it might also chase away a lot of the home fans.
Do that and you are out on your ear pal! :eek:

Steve O'Dare - 22/2/2016 09:45

I assume that you still haven't recovered from the 2010 World Cup

SAToffeeImp - 22/2/2016 09:47

Steve O'Dare - 22/2/2016 09:45

I assume that you still haven't recovered from the 2010 World Cup
I don't think any English football fan has Clive!

Bloodaxe - 21/2/2016 17:51

A club is for life

Isn't other sections of the ground joining in a problem with ultras sections in general? There is a section in the Pontoon at Grimsby who are the self-nominated singing section (essentially Ultras) but if a chant is started elsewhere in the ground they either don't join in or start their own. This alienates the rest of the supporters and has the adverse effect of making them not join in.

When I was a season ticket holder at St. Etienne in France only the ultras sections behind the goals sang songs. People at the sides rarely, and I mean rarely, joined in. The two ultras sections didn't sing them same songs either. Proper atmosphere generates itself and does not require someone without a shirt on, a megaphone and with his back to the game orchestrating chants. The chants come and go of their own accord reflecting the mood of the fixture, how the game is playing out and the occasion as a whole.

A good example was the Lincolnshire derby at BP this season. About 15 minutes before kick-off both sets of fans were singing and it was really exciting. Then, after kick-off, you lot came out and were the better side and totally flattened the Town fans thus killing the noise. Had we had an ultras section singing on regardless it wouldn't have been representative of what was going on. The flat Town performance merited a dejected response from the crowd. As the game went on, and we improved, the crowd came back. That's how it should be.

ingoldale - 22/2/2016 10:17

Bloodaxe - 21/2/2016 17:51

A club is for life

Isn't other sections of the ground joining in a problem with ultras sections in general? There is a section in the Pontoon at Grimsby who are the self-nominated singing section (essentially Ultras) but if a chant is started elsewhere in the ground they either don't join in or start their own. This alienates the rest of the supporters and has the adverse effect of making them not join in.

When I was a season ticket holder at St. Etienne in France only the ultras sections behind the goals sang songs. People at the sides rarely, and I mean rarely, joined in. The two ultras sections didn't sing them same songs either. Proper atmosphere generates itself and does not require someone without a shirt on, a megaphone and with his back to the game orchestrating chants. The chants come and go of their own accord reflecting the mood of the fixture, how the game is playing out and the occasion as a whole.

A good example was the Lincolnshire derby at BP this season. About 15 minutes before kick-off both sets of fans were singing and it was really exciting. Then, after kick-off, you lot came out and were the better side and totally flattened the Town fans thus killing the noise. Had we had an ultras section singing on regardless it wouldn't have been representative of what was going on. The flat Town performance merited a dejected response from the crowd. As the game went on, and we improved, the crowd came back. That's how it should be.
Explain what an "ultras section" is please as I don't understand.

Ultras as defined on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultras

Don't think either sides support fits the description?

On my trip over in Oct/Nov I went to the Tranmere cup replay and Bromley games. I sat at the back of the Co-op close to 617 both games. Bromley game I dragged along my nieces husband, a rugby league fan. We were both impressed with 617 and because of the atmosphere they create my nieces husband is now a City fan and drives from Wakefield to go to most of the home games.

To 617 I say keep up the good work and your enthusiasm will rub off on all us old farts.

In the 'old' days the home fans had most of the Co-op with the away fans limited to the atmospheric and resonating Block 1. 617 or their forerunners were in the middle of the SW with much of the noise radiating straight down the ground. As a result the away fans sometimes outsang us even with 200 or so fans. Now the situation is reversed with 617 in Block 7 magnified by the atmospherics of the stand end and boosted all around the ground including straight down the throats of the opposition.
Ironic that this was a compromise forced on the Sqn by fans in the Co-op that preferred a library atmosphere in block 4 !!
Not taking it away from the great job done by the lads of 617, long may it continue!!

implausible - 22/2/2016 15:24

In the 'old' days the home fans had most of the Co-op with the away fans limited to the atmospheric and resonating Block 1. 617 or their forerunners were in the middle of the SW with much of the noise radiating straight down the ground. As a result the away fans sometimes outsang us even with 200 or so fans. Now the situation is reversed with 617 in Block 7 magnified by the atmospherics of the stand end and boosted all around the ground including straight down the throats of the opposition.
Ironic that this was a compromise forced on the Sqn by fans in the Co-op that preferred a library atmosphere in block 4 !!
Not taking it away from the great job done by the lads of 617, long may it continue!!
That's not strictly true.

It may have been a noise issue for a minority, but the main issues were that all of a sudden, 50-100+ younger lads decided to use that area and sat/stood in/in front of allocated ST seating. They'd cram in areas, which made it effectively two to a seat in rows and they had a total disregard for people who wanted to sit by obstructing views.

I was in Block 4 at the time and the only thing I wasn't keen on was they way they crammed themselves in, thus moving me away from my seat and 'encroaching' on other people's areas (I stand during a match anyway and I don't mind the noise either). However, there were other, older, people who struggled to get up the steps to their seats never mind having to stand for 90 minutes to see the game.

Bearing in mind it's probably the most densely populated block for ST holders, it was never going to work anyway.

Kentishimp - 22/2/2016 13:33

Ultras as defined on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultras

Don't think either sides support fits the description?

I don't think you have to take the description word for word to say they aren't ultras. they are clearly based on the movement you find on the continent. The fact that they go in for all the banners, a name for the group and the constant chanting as opposed to the natural ebb and flow atmosphere we traditionally have in England, as all clear signs for me.