51 Points achieved, next target ... | Vital Football

51 Points achieved, next target ...

cherryexile

Vital 1st Team Regular
Now that we are on 51 points and Keith's mystical relegation minimum first target has been achieved. What should be our next target?

On a worst case scenario (for the country) I have read that the minimum number of games needed to complete a season is 75% or 35 games. Should that be our next target?

Alternatively, should we look for play off places (say 70 points) or automatic promotion places (85 points) or Champions (95 points)?

Just to be clear, after a bottle of Chablis I can't be arsed to look up and defend what the actual reasonable point cut offs should be, so please feel free to challenge my points hurdles and substitute alternatives.

Season won't be curtailed unless the zombie apocalypse is the next variant so you look to what will confirm a top 6 finish and that traditionally is around 76 points, so another 25 for that

Championship teams achieved this sooner and Rangers (also presumably also at a higher standard than The Imps) are currently on 75 points
Rangers may be a better side than us, I doubt many of those they play are.
Target has to be to maintain top 2. There is a very strange quirk in the current betting for us to achieve that. Were 2nd favourite to win the league, yet 3rd favourite to be promoted. It's a funny old game innit, Saint.

It's a great achievement for 25 games in! And what's more to have only conceeded 20 goals is outstanding!

I do wonder what the league table would look like if Doncaster were to have played all their games though? Would they be ahead of us right now, I imagine they would be or atleast level on points. I think that in itself just shows we've got to keep on foot on the pedal and get something against the teams around us more regularly.

To prove fivethirtyeight.com wrong, they currently reckon we will finish 4th with only a 13% chance of winning the league:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-one/

This was done before the Gillingham game and they have us, Doncaster and Portsmouth separated by one point and goal difference. It will be interesting to see if this has changed the next time the update the results, following our 3-0 win, which puts our goal-difference one above Doncaster and only 1 below Portsmouth.

It's a great achievement for 25 games in! And what's more to have only conceeded 20 goals is outstanding!

I do wonder what the league table would look like if Doncaster were to have played all their games though? Would they be ahead of us right now, I imagine they would be or atleast level on points. I think that in itself just shows we've got to keep on foot on the pedal and get something against the teams around us more regularly.

Accrington are also 11 points behind with 3 games in hand. So if all our competitors win all their games in hand (and obviously they won't) the table would look like this (all played 25 games),

Doncaster 54
Lincoln 51
-------------------------------------
Accrington 49
Hull 48
Portsmouth 47
Peterborough 46
------------------------------------
Sunderland 43
Oxford 43
Ipswich 42
Blackpool 42
Charlton 40 (played 26)

Today's games have gone reasonably well for us (bar Portsmouth's two late goals) and the 25 game comparison now looks like this,

Doncaster 54
Lincoln 51
-------------------------------------
Hull 48 (played 26)
Accrington 47
Peterborough 46
Portsmouth 45
------------------------------------
Charlton 43 (played 27)
Ipswich 42
Sunderland 41
Oxford 40

The top 10 are starting to spread out a little now. A win against Hull in our next game could put us 9 points clear of them., if we win our game in hand

Last edited: