50 years ago today | Page 2 | Vital Football

50 years ago today

If you look at the photos the goal is scored to the right of the kippax. That's the other end from the platt Lane end.

I think I'm losing it. I have just watched the highlight of the goal and it does look like the North Stand behind. I was stood on the Kippax and remain convinced it happened to my left. I'm now in a state of confusion and I will go lie down in a darkened room until the mist clears.

Yeah the first photo in Jeff's post certainly make it look like it was scored at the North Stand end as the stand you can see in the background looks completely different to the stand in the background of 2 other photos (& which is definitely their main stand)
The TV footage of the goal doesn't show the Kippax opposite but the stand behind the goal looks nothing like the Platt Lane End (complete with benches for seats) that I went in on numerous occasions in my Manchester United youth in the 80's

The TV gantry at Old Trafford was in itself a thing of beauty. It was accessed by a rope bridge like off " get me out of here " and a ladder was dropped at the back.

When I first started going to United in around 1980 it was in the main stand & that TV gantry used to scare the living daylights out of me & that was just looking at it from the stand
I can't remember a pull up set of steps but it didn't look too safe - I remember being at one game where someone bringing refreshments tripped up on the gangway & dropped their tray showering everybody below with tea, cups & butties!!

I think I can trace my phobia of heights from looking at that TV gantry - which reminds me, you wouldn't have got me to go in the one at Springfield Park for love nor money as it just looked like a few scaffolding poles & planks of wood. I can't say I was surprised that when the BBC arrived to cover the Coventry cup replay in 1991 (or 1990 - I forget which) that they set up in the St Andrew's side even though it ruined the view in there for everyone!!

Used to love the Phoenix Stand. Rarely went in there but deliberately took my lad in there one of the last matches ( Lincoln I think ) so he could experience the view before it went. Still have the tickets and prog for the match. Little hatch on the small concourse to get a brew. We stood for the City play off match.

Oh how I miss Springy.

When I first started going to United in around 1980 it was in the main stand & that TV gantry used to scare the living daylights out of me & that was just looking at it from the stand
I can't remember a pull up set of steps but it didn't look too safe - I remember being at one game where someone bringing refreshments tripped up on the gangway & dropped their tray showering everybody below with tea, cups & butties!!

I think I can trace my phobia of heights from looking at that TV gantry - which reminds me, you wouldn't have got me to go in the one at Springfield Park for love nor money as it just looked like a few scaffolding poles & planks of wood. I can't say I was surprised that when the BBC arrived to cover the Coventry cup replay in 1991 (or 1990 - I forget which) that they set up in the St Andrew's side even though it ruined the view in there for everyone!!

You missed a trick mate not by any mistake but by time. I first started going to United for 1 reason...Georgie Best. Watched him with delight for years as well as going to Springy. When he jacked it in my interest in United faded away and I was playing every Saturday anyway.

You missed a trick mate not by any mistake but by time. I first started going to United for 1 reason...Georgie Best. Watched him with delight for years as well as going to Springy. When he jacked it in my interest in United faded away and I was playing every Saturday anyway.

I was a 3rd generation United supporter as my dad & his dad had long been home & away followers by the time I came along in 1975. I'd started to watch Latics part-time in 1987 (during the cup run) & then became full time in 1989 or 1990 when my dad cancelled our season tickets due to them doubling in price & United still missing out on Paul Gascgoine to Spurs. Still went to the odd United game up until 1998 as my dad wound up becoming a steward & back then they didn't get paid just got given a free ticket for someone

Incidentally my dad was quite good friends with George Best. His family lived in the next cul-de-sac in Chorlton-Cum-Hardy to the one that the old lady lived on that Best lodged with for years after he'd come over from Belfast. He knocked about with him for a bit, played football with him, went to matches on the bus with him etc.. Said he's never met anyone as shy as him when he first came over & he wouldn't say boo to a goose. As he started to become known my dad got him to sign loads of autographs so he could flog em at the school he went to.
My dad also had a autograph book George Best had got for him with all the autographs of United's first & youth teams in - later added to by me with Ron Atkinson's United squad & numerous Latics players who turned up one day at a Bobby Robson Soccer School at Robin park in 1985 (I had no idea who they were & can recall Roy Tunks from the ones who signed it)