£50 NOVEMBER BONUS CONTEST - Best Spurs Memory, Your Story | Page 3 | Vital Football

£50 NOVEMBER BONUS CONTEST - Best Spurs Memory, Your Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remembering Dave Mackay just now reminded me of a game I saw in the 60s when on the edge of his own 6 yard box in the face of an oncoming forward he calmly lobbed the ball back over his head to Bill Broown in the Spurs goal. What class. Skill and confidence let alone brass neck cheek!

Remembering Dave Mackay just now reminded me of a game I saw in the 60s when on the edge of his own 6 yard box in the face of an oncoming forward he calmly lobbed the ball back over his head to Bill Broown in the Spurs goal. What class. Skill and confidence let alone brass neck cheek!
My mate Dave . He used to pass to me like like that , as I was flying down the wing !

Bobby Smith and Dave Mackay, absolutely fearless in everything they did.
Harmer was a Hackney boy who came up thru amateur ranks with Spurs. He actually finished his playing career with Chelsea, prior to doing a five year youth team coaching stint with them.
The other player in your name , Smithy , .... Cliff Jones, was also fearless .It was always said he would run through a brick wall for the team , to get the ball , to score a goal , to help a team mate . I don’t think there was a finer sight in football than Cliff Jones in full flight , going down the wing . Amazing . Shivers going down my spine as I’m typing this !

The other player in your name , Smithy , .... Cliff Jones, was also fearless .It was always said he would run through a brick wall for the team , to get the ball , to score a goal , to help a team mate . I don’t think there was a finer sight in football than Cliff Jones in full flight , going down the wing . Amazing . Shivers going down my spine as I’m typing this !
Do not forget Walt what a header of the ball Cliff was, probably the best I have ever seen, for a winger that is.

Man City v Spurs FA Cup final replay, 1981

It's a midweek game so we took the day off work to prepare. And we duly went on the piss for the day. It's fair to say we were hammered by the time the game started.

It was 1-1 at half time and we went to the bar. We came back just to see City take the lead so back we went to the bar.

It becomes a bit hazy after this but having lost my mates I re-emerged just in time to see Ricky Villa score the equaliser. It was one of the great goals at Wembley particularly in the context as he had been substituted in the final the previous Saturday.

The celebrations were wild, as you would expect, but something didn't feel right. It was just an equaliser after all but the fans were celebrating as though it was the winner.

Anyway, as the 90 minutes nears the Spurs fans start whistling for the ref to blow time. I couldn't get my head round this. Why are we whistling for extra time?

Finally the ref blew his whistle. The Spurs fans are ecstatic, jumping around and hugging each other. It's only extra time, FFS, but I joined in, peer pressure and all that. But I could see the players were also celebrating.

I couldn't let it go and asked a Spurs fan near me why wasn't everyone getting ready for extra time? I can still see the look of incredulity on his face. He explained patiently - as though he was talking to the village idiot (which in hindsight....) - that Garth Crooks had equalised and Villa's goal had put us 3-2 up, which in fact had proven to be the winner.

It made sense now. Somehow whilst I was in the bar I hadn't heard the Spurs roar when we equalised. So the context and significance of Villa's goal was lost on me. And so were the celebrations at the final whistle. One of the great days in our history and I didn't really appreciate it.

Looking back, I suppose the only good thing I can say is I was there - in body if less so in mind.

Man City v Spurs FA Cup final replay, 1981

It's a midweek game so we took the day off work to prepare. And we duly went on the piss for the day. It's fair to say we were hammered by the time the game started.

It was 1-1 at half time and we went to the bar. We came back just to see City take the lead so back we went to the bar.

It becomes a bit hazy after this but having lost my mates I re-emerged just in time to see Ricky Villa score the equaliser. It was one of the great goals at Wembley particularly in the context as he had been substituted in the final the previous Saturday.

The celebrations were wild, as you would expect, but something didn't feel right. It was just an equaliser after all but the fans were celebrating as though it was the winner.

Anyway, as the 90 minutes nears the Spurs fans start whistling for the ref to blow time. I couldn't get my head round this. Why are we whistling for extra time?

Finally the ref blew his whistle. The Spurs fans are ecstatic, jumping around and hugging each other. It's only extra time, FFS, but I joined in, peer pressure and all that. But I could see the players were also celebrating.

I couldn't let it go and asked a Spurs fan near me why wasn't everyone getting ready for extra time? I can still see the look of incredulity on his face. He explained patiently - as though he was talking to the village idiot (which in hindsight....) - that Garth Crooks had equalised and Villa's goal had put us 3-2 up, which in fact had proven to be the winner.

It made sense now. Somehow whilst I was in the bar I hadn't heard the Spurs roar when we equalised. So the context and significance of Villa's goal was lost on me. And so were the celebrations at the final whistle. One of the great days in our history and I didn't really appreciate it.

Looking back, I suppose the only good thing I can say is I was there - in body if less so in mind.

I was there and saw that game too mate ...well I saw that game, but it seems you missed a lot of it....you should change your name to Garyonetoomany:guiness:

When I was 15 my Da took me to WHL for the first time,can't remember who we were playing. So 20 years later I returned the compliment and took him back to WHL with me and my 4 brothers ,we were playing Forest. Ill never forget the look of awe and happiness on his face when he walked up the steps to take his seat.it was worth its weight in gold. We won 4-0 I think, Ginola was in his pomp and ran the show,it was wonderful. After the match we went to a bar and my Da went missing,I went to look for him and found him talking football with a few lads who happened to be Goons,typical Da.
He sadly died 2 months later of a heart attack aged just 64 but that memory will stay with me forever.

Last edited:
Right, gonna go with this one , cos it effected me most.

April 29th 1967 I was playing in a Counties schools cup final and scored the first goal (but og) when the ball skimmed off my head when I was trying to clear a corner. We equalised midway thru the second half and then I scored the winner ten mins from time....tho as the whistle blew I was off the pitch waiting for - initially a mates dad who was a Doc, then the ambulance and it turned out I had broken my tib and fib. Some idiot did a sliding scissors tackle....
Biggest problem was I was meant to be going to Hillsbro for our semi against Forest but my schools final was on the same day.....
Unbeknown to me my eldest brother and our neighbour decided that if we won and got to the final, which was 3 weeks later they would try to go and take me.

Well obviously we won....but whilst my Brother got tickets for the final, my leg was toe to thigh in Plaster, so going on train/tube/bus whatever and to the game wasn't something they wanted to do with me.....so someone else got my ticket.

The upshot was we won the schools final, I broke my leg, missed the semi final and cos of my leg missed the final. Never got a chance to see them in a cup final again......

April 29th 1967 I was playing in a Counties schools cup final and scored the first goal (but og) when the ball skimmed off my head when I was trying to clear a corner. We equalised midway thru the second half and then I scored the winner ten mins from time....tho as the whistle blew I was off the pitch waiting for - initially a mates dad who was a Doc, then the ambulance and it turned out I had broken my tib and fib. Some idiot did a sliding scissors tackle....
Biggest problem was I was meant to be going to Hillsbro for our semi against Forest but my schools final was on the same day.....
Unbeknown to me my eldest brother and our neighbour decided that if we won and got to the final, which was 3 weeks later they would try to go and take me.

Well obviously we won....but whilst my Brother got tickets for the final, my leg was toe to thigh in Plaster, so going on train/tube/bus whatever and to the game wasn't something they wanted to do with me.....so someone else got my ticket.

The upshot was we won the schools final, I broke my leg, missed the semi final and cos of my leg missed the final. Never got a chance to see them in a cup final again......
So you never got a leg up for a final again eh! shame mate.

So you stayed home and got plastered :lol:

Hmmm. We must be out of material. Deadline midnight (PST for Canadian Spur) November 30th

Ok it's time make your mind up !!!

How you going to select the winner 80?

Some terrific stories here. Well done all for making the effort and well done 80 for coming up with it - I hope you'll all join me in thanking 80 as it is entirely designed to keep people engaged whilst the period went quiet and to bring in some fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.