4 defeats in a row | Vital Football

4 defeats in a row

RaggedTrouseredPhil

Vital Youth Team
Next up is QPR away, a notoriously difficult place for us to play at.

Then Barnsley who still have a little momentum from promotion.

Win these and Cook keeps his job.

Lose them and it puts him on a sticky wicket.

I recall Bobby losing 8 or 9 in a row and keeping his job because he kept us up.

I also recall either Mathias or Hamilton losing their first 5 or 6 during the 80s but then challenging for promotion in the same season.

Our target for this season is to improve. (So more than 52 points is an improvement)

It's the 6 in a row that disturbs the chairman.

Oh 'eck.

Thoughts?

How the hell can we improve on 52 points when we lost our two best players.
If we can match that it won't be a bad season.

Because we've (allegedly) improved the squad. Also, if you're including Powell as one of our best players, we played better without him at the back end of the season. Picked up 10 points.

Because we've (allegedly) improved the squad. Also, if you're including Powell as one of our best players, we played better without him at the back end of the season. Picked up 10 points.
Whatever some might think, Nick Powell was the best and most gifted player we have had the pleasure to have had at Wigan for a good few years.

Whatever some might think, Nick Powell was the best and most gifted player we have had the pleasure to have had at Wigan for a good few years.

Don't disagree. 70 minutes per game from him means he'll never be good enough to play above championship level, though. Also, he'll not have a long career as those 70 minute appearances will dwindle down to 60, 45 etc.. It's little wonder he took Stoke's parachute monies.

Cooks learned absolutely nothing from last season, can't set up a team away from home and has no clue how to fill a Reece sized hole.
He was very fortunate to keep his job last season but after Preston, now this our cowardly away performances are a disgrace.
If we roll over again at QPR enough is enough already - get shut before it becomes a repeat of last year

Cooks learned absolutely nothing from last season, can't set up a team away from home and has no clue how to fill a Reece sized hole.
He was very fortunate to keep his job last season but after Preston, now this our cowardly away performances are a disgrace.
If we roll over again at QPR enough is enough already - get shut before it becomes a repeat of last year

Like I said in the opening gambit, lose at QPR and then at home against Barnsley and he'll be on a sticky wicket, that's the stage that chairmen get happy trigger finger. 6 consecutive losses is pretty bad.

Win those games and it'll be a different story. Winning breeds confidence and we might win another 3 or 4 on the bounce. Who knows?
Like I said, other managers have had worse runs and worse starts and then it fell into place for them.

I'm just trying to put things into perspective.

Like I said in the opening gambit, lose at QPR and then at home against Barnsley and he'll be on a sticky wicket, that's the stage that chairmen get happy trigger finger. 6 consecutive losses is pretty bad.

Win those games and it'll be a different story. Winning breeds confidence and we might win another 3 or 4 on the bounce. Who knows?
Like I said, other managers have had worse runs and worse starts and then it fell into place for them.
Don't disagree Phil but he's had a years experience and seemingly learned nothing yet post match again is happy with the (non) performance and no points.
He's not up to it and needs potting

Don't believe a word of what is said to the press/tv after the match Hampton, Managers protect their players. I have no doubt he would be saying a few different things to the players in the enclosed confines of the dressing room.

I am one of those that supported him last season whilst results were poor, and I also said to give him time to prove himself this season. The club have backed him in the transfer market and although he may not have got all the players he asked for he has been given maybe his second choice at worst. He now needs to get the players playing and start to show improvement or I fear he will be replaced. The last four results have not helped his case, although I believe the Leeds game was not a particularly poor performance ( due to holidays I was not able to see this for myself and I will understand if anyone who went wishes to correct me). I think the next two fixtures are crucial if PC is to continue in post, although I don't see him being replaced immediately after them I feel that the pressure will ramp up and the club will be looking around.

Don't believe a word of what is said to the press/tv after the match Hampton, Managers protect their players. I have no doubt he would be saying a few different things to the players in the enclosed confines of the dressing room.

I am one of those that supported him last season whilst results were poor, and I also said to give him time to prove himself this season. The club have backed him in the transfer market and although he may not have got all the players he asked for he has been given maybe his second choice at worst. He now needs to get the players playing and start to show improvement or I fear he will be replaced. The last four results have not helped his case, although I believe the Leeds game was not a particularly poor performance ( due to holidays I was not able to see this for myself and I will understand if anyone who went wishes to correct me). I think the next two fixtures are crucial if PC is to continue in post, although I don't see him being replaced immediately after them I feel that the pressure will ramp up and the club will be looking around.

Wished I could have your belief / enthusiasm that he may get it right but after each defeat I get more frustrated especially wen he comes out with the usual platitudes after a defeat. I don't doubt what u say in that he says 1 thing to the media & another to the players behind closed doors but some of the positive spins he puts out are worthy of politicians. I get he can't slag the players off in public but neither does he need to say we done well, kept the opposition on the back foot & it's an 'unforgiving' league - just be a bit more realistic without condemning anyone. As u say TB he's been backed it's near / near enough his choice of players so time to show what he's made off - starting Saturday with a good strong winning performance at QPR....

It's OK TB my the bullshit filter i bought when Bob was in charge is still working ?
I didn't support him last season nor this I truly believe he's not good enough whilst hiding behind the cheeky scouse one of the lads persona.
Leeds performance was ok after the Soff but we looked way second best IMO at 11 v 11.
The second half against Cardiff aside the rest has been utter shite.
Need a new plan from a new man before a difficult start turns into a aeason long bore fest - again

Jones at Luton has tols Macca to stay up the pitch were he can hurt teams and do what he is good at
Massey and Lowe have pace to burn but spend to much time and energy chasing back , let them play further forward to support Moore and put Bright in at 10 he could become a big player for us with game time

Bright? He could be but he has very little experience at this level. Signed to make the numbers up. Why not use our own youngsters.

Bright? He could be but he has very little experience at this level. Signed to make the numbers up. Why not use our own youngsters.
Joe is injured and the only one who could play that role and it dose`nt look like youngsters getting much again if we end up in a relegation scrap , Bright is a talent and has been signed to play so with the injuries play him ..