38 years ago | Vital Football

38 years ago

I remember at the time being asked why was the task force going down the atlantic ocean when the falklands were somewhere in scandinavia?

On another note regarding the falklands war....my life could have been so different if I hadnt failed my medical to join the royal navy in the summer of 1980!

I remember at the time being asked why was the task force going down the atlantic ocean when the falklands were somewhere in scandinavia?

On another note regarding the falklands war....my life could have been so different if I hadnt failed my medical to join the royal navy in the summer of 1980!

I have a lot of stories about the falklands war but I think I am still under the official secrets act for the best ones. Here are some.

Media reporting that the new Typhoon fighters were in the battle area. Its true they were there and armed but were all without the computers (wms) that fired the weapons. Not one single computer had passed the testing regime and therefore not one had been delivered.

Media reported that another nuclear submarine was already half way to the falklands. A friend’s whos husband was on that sub was with us and she received a call from said husband - sub broken down and back at faslane and he was on his way home on the train.

Most of the argentine military equipment was supplied y the uk, especially spares. An order ready packed was ready to go to Argentina when war broke out. A reliable source told me that they had redirected it via south africa.

Someone I knew was also on nuclear subs and he was on the one that sunk the belgrano.
Years later as an act of reconciliation he and ex crew members were invited to Argentina to meet survivors from the ship. He was very moved as were all from both sides.

Update Crap Edit: f braindead today. The aircraft without weapon systems were the italian tornados and it was the 1st iraq war. Wrong aircraft, year and wrong war, accurate apart from that.....

Last edited:
Media reported that another nuclear submarine was already half way to the falklands. A friend’s whos husband was on that sub was with us and she received a call from said husband - sub broken down and back at faslane and he was on his way home on the train.

Four submarines were ordered to the South Atlantic immediately , i.e. , the first week of April. These were Hunter/Killer subs , nuclear powered , but carrying conventional weapons. Not to be confused with the UK's Polaris carrying class.

Most of the argentine military equipment was supplied y the uk, especially spares. An order ready packed was ready to go to Argentina when war broke out. A reliable source told me that they had redirected it via south africa.

The spares for the Skyhawk fighter bomber were supplied by the US , until an embargo took place.
The Super Eternard and Mirage strike planes were French (who supplied the spares and the five Exocet Missiles that did so much damage)

This was the war Thatcher simply had to have due to the strife at home back then - riots, 3.5 million unemployed etc. I have often wondered how much she paid the Argies to invade.

My ex's step dad was in 40 commando and lost 3 of his best friends although he didn't fight. As expected, he never really spoke about it. Then one day he showed me his diary. I have never read anything so heartbreaking. His last entry simply read "Had a nice shower"

There would have been less RN casualties had the destroyers had smoke retardent cabling and better quality fire fighting clothing been supplied.

Four submarines were ordered to the South Atlantic immediately , i.e. , the first week of April. These were Hunter/Killer subs , nuclear powered , but carrying conventional weapons. Not to be confused with the UK's Polaris carrying class.

The spares for the Skyhawk fighter bomber were supplied by the US , until an embargo took place.
The Super Eternard and Mirage strike planes were French (who supplied the spares and the five Exocet Missiles that did so much damage)

Four ordered only on paper. One hunter there, one on its way for relief and the later one that did not leave fanslane (still under repair at end of war). From memory the fourth was never going to be deployed (from guys on the boats stationed at Chatham).

Many us aircraft spares were actually British supplied. Every single us aircraft (all types) had sms units made in Britain as we won the contract to replace them all.
Many helicopter and surveillance aircraft parts also British supplied.
I know most spares that was sold and delivered from the uk if it was to do with instruments including weapons systems.

Biggest reward was to Chatham Dockyard. So many ships repaired and made sea worthy in record time, in return they closed the yard ffs.

Outstanding work all round from the serviceman in difficult circumstances. Any stories from then are welcome as I love stories from real people who were actually involved.

My ex's step dad was in 40 commando and lost 3 of his best friends although he didn't fight. As expected, he never really spoke about it. Then one day he showed me his diary. I have never read anything so heartbreaking. His last entry simply read "Had a nice shower"

My dad was in 40 during the 2nd world war and a similar tale. Always talking about the rubbish they got up to between action or on leave but never spoke about the heartbreaking stuff.

I have books currently packed away from first world war. By lads that were there.Very moving it is well worth reading.By Richard Van Emdem.

Last edited:
I've read the heavily censored letters my grandfather sent whilst a prisoner in the first world war. He volunteered (lied about his age) and went to the trenches. Actually "lucky" to be a POW as it meant he survived. Ironically his in-laws were German and I've seen letters (in German) sent by them too.