31st Anniversary | Page 4 | Vital Football

31st Anniversary

It always amazes me the detail you guys can remember. I've never been able to remember any great detail about the games I've been to even the day after.
I've been sat in the pub with my mates going through a game on a Saturday night and they'll say something like " oh that ball out of defense to Terry Jolly who slipped it through to Ken Price to score ......" and I'd be thinking well I can remember Pricy latching onto a ball between the defenders but how it got there I wouldn't have a clue!
I'm more of you're bigger picture than a details kind of guy
I was similar with a lot of games Archie, but put that down to beer.
We shared driving over, so three out of four was a passenger.
Door to door service so I expect too much beer passed my lips.
Sometimes I thought we had played well only for others to tell me we were crap.

I was chatting with an older mate last weekend who was one of the crowd back in the day and he’s very ‘forgetful’ but can remember amazing details from games back in the 60’s 70’s 80’s and 90’s.
Ask him if he’s had lunch and he’ll reply I dunno!
Not sure that we get much more forgetful, just that things become imprinted into our brains easier when we're younger! That's what I hope anyway

Coming late to this thread. 1st game was v Barrow in Feb 1972. I was 11 and taken by my Dad. It was 1-1, we were 5 minutes late and missed the Gills goal! Started going regularly in 1975 and when I moved away my Dad remained as a STH until ill-health about 10 years ago - so I reckon he did 35 years in all. I then started taking my lad when he was about 7 in 1999 (despite living in the East Midlands where all his mates support Forest or Leicester). So the lucky devil was at both the Wigan and Shrewsbury Wembley wins. After those early glory days, he's now been supporting GFC long enough to understand what being a Gills fan is REALLY about...