30 years ago - today..... | Vital Football

30 years ago - today.....

I was there. :17:

IIRC we drew 0 0 to Sunderland a few days later with a big crowd expecting a goal rush.

I was there too! A week in from 8-1 v Southend. But Liverpool also won 9-0 that season and got far more coverage than we got for a big win. But then we let in 6 at Christmas and Sir Keith was gone and it was all down hill until Pulis.

I missed it. Went on holiday with some mates and we said "lucky we went this week and not last or we would have missed the 8-1". Still it was good feeling strutting around Bournemouth that night in our Gills shirts ;-)

2-0 win at Fulham on the way home if I remember rightly. We were damn good at that point and then it all fell apart at Aldershot.

I was there too, I don't think Chesterfield had conceded a goal until they visited us.

:1: :1: :1:

I never noticed my wedding anniversary was the same day as that Chesterfield game. Frustrated that day as I saw the Southend match and was convinced we would win well again but at the last minute I had to work that day .I have to admit I went around like a bear with a sore head all day .Happy Anniversary Gillingham football club.

Was there for both games too. Bought the VHS video of the games from the store a few weeks later (a tenner if I remember correctly!) Lost it a few years later (along with a box of records!) a few years later during a house move. :10:

I too saw both games.

One remarkable thing was our prolific scorer Steve Lovell didn't get any of the 10!

(I think he'd had his fill with 4 of the 8 v Sarfend :2: )

Pity that only 4,100 were at both games...

OneSirKeefy - 6/9/2017 00:03

One remarkable thing was our prolific scorer Steve Lovell didn't get any of the 10!

But Lovell got three in the 4-1 win at Saltergate in (I think) the same season. They must have hated playing us...

EagerExile - 6/9/2017 00:15

OneSirKeefy - 6/9/2017 00:03

But Lovell got three in the 4-1 win at Saltergate in (I think) the same season. They must have hated playing us...

Correctly correctington Eager (just checked my "Definitive").

Steve got 25 goals that season. Could do with a striker like that now. Wonder what he'd be worth today?