2nd Teams? | Page 3 | Vital Football

2nd Teams?

Never be as good as Bray Wanderers mate :wagging:

My brother (who doesnt support Villa) is fairly big into Bohs now, the 'ultras' they have are right good craic went to a game over the summer. I'd almost drop Bray and start supporting Bohs because they're trying to make something of the situation. Football is just never going to takeoff in Ireland.

Haha, well we're in the same division next season so we'll see about that!

I do enjoy watching the big matches (Bohs vs Shamrock Rovers etc.) when on TV and I've been to a couple of the derbies and they've been great. But I just can't see how any of it can improve. The FAI are a joke, and the GAA has a huge affect on Irish football.

Then again, we've recently seen both Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers play in the group stages of the Europa League and do pretty well.

I used to have a season ticket for Glentoran in the Irish League and enjoyed some great days and nights at the Oval.
This is the club that drew with Benfica both home and away and only went out on the away goal rule. That year Benfica reached the European Cup Final and were defeated by a George Best inspired Manchester United. I like to imagine that if Glentoran had gone through, Bestie (a Glenman himself) might have gone a bit easier to the team in red, green and black.
Ah yes, those were the days.
Alas, they've gone ten games without a win, the worst run in the club's 137 year history, losing the last four whilst scoring three and conceding thirteen in the process (including four at home to Dungannon Swifts - I mean, losing to Linfield is always possible but Dungannon Swifts!).
Their new manager, appointed after old hand Ronnie McFaul departed, is Gary Smyth and he has a relegation battle on his hands. (They're five points above the trapdoor on 21 points with another 16 games - out of 38 - to play.)
So, yes, I carry a torch for the Glens as well as Villa and might even use my free travel pass to go up to Belfast over the next few weeks and support them in their current hour of need.

I have absolutely no interest in any other football team but if I had to pick a second then it would be England.

Reactions: OVB
Each to their own, but I struggle with the concept of a second team. I’ll go to watch my new local team a couple of times a season with the in law for a beer and a laugh if the weathers nice and there’s no Villa, so it’s a social thing. I’m happy to stick a few quid in their pockets as it’s a good club for the kids.

But there’s only a few things I love in this world, if Aston Villa Football club were to go out of business you wouldn’t find me supporting another club, I’d probably at best watch footy for entertainment.

My best mate is from Swindon, lives in Brum and supports United. He’s probably seen Villa more times in recent years than any of the other two he changes his support in between.

Last edited:
Each to their own, but I struggle with the concept of a second team. I’ll go to my new local team a couple of times a season with the in law for a beer and a laugh if the weathers nice and there’s no Villa, so it’s a social thing. I’m happy to stick a few quid in their pockets as it’s a good club for the kids.

But there’s only a few things I love in this world, if Aston Villa Football club were to go out of business you wouldn’t find me supporting another club, I’d probably at best watch footy for entertainment.

My best mate is from Swindon, lives in Brum and supports United. He’s probably seen Villa more times in recent years than any of the other two he changes his support in between.
No worries about that my friend, we will never die, will never die, will keep the Lions flag flying high, because Aston Villa will never die

I have absolutely no interest in any other football team but if I had to pick a second then it would be England.

I have a second team and it is not England. In fact my 2nd team changes every week. I support Villa with an undying passion and by default my 2nd team is any team playing against Small Heath Alliance.
There are currently only two instances a season when I don't have a 2nd team and that is when we play the unwashed Sty dwellers.

I don't have a second team but I quite like Eddie Howe and his Bournemouth, they're in a bit of a form dip at the moment but when in form they play some good footy and they haven't got a star studded team. Nice to see them get results and Eddie Howe comes across as a chilled out down to earth bloke.

Tbh...keep an eye on a few local teams...home town...Chasetown who took Cardiff back to thrs after a draw at home....a few years ago in the FA cup...Hednesford Town...just down road from me...Walsall and Burton...small clubs like Hednesford Town...we built thr stadium.......in the 90s...and Chasetown whove built up from a park ...great to see them do well...grass roots teams like my local rugby club..Burntwood Rugby club....from nothing.....4 pitches great club house and did a lot of work for them too...cant beat it when ya local teams grow...????

cf1fjTl.jpg

I went to see Mostar play Sarajevo a couple of years back and when Mostar knocked in their third goal in the 85th minute to win 3-2 the ultras opposite went batshit mental. I've always looked out for Mostar's results since then.

Went to a Redditch Town game when. I first moved here 19 years ago. Hated it and left early.

Each to their own, but I struggle with the concept of a second team.

Yeah but think about it some of us arent exactly around the corner of a big team or even teams of any note. I grew up watching Italian football on S4C and I'd say I watched as much of Barca and Real when I was young too. Villa werent easily accessible either its probably why I took to Celtic first because I was able to see them regularly.

Its easy enough to say support local too but most often people find an affinity or some just want to fit in and supporting a certain team can help them do it.

I won't call them a second team , but I keep an eye on the Scottish Premier and in particular Celtic my old fella was raised in Glasgow and followed the boys in Green so I kinda have an affinity towards them but Villa rule over all else .

When I was in high school I went on an exchange trip to Germany and the kid I was staying with was a Monchengladback fan, even gave me a massive wooly scarf which I still have. Ever since I have watched for their results. I also support anybody playing small heath lol