25 Years and Paul Scally still aiming for the Premier League - n/g? | Vital Football

25 Years and Paul Scally still aiming for the Premier League - n/g?

And he’s hoping to still be in charge for another 25 years which confirms he has no intention of selling the club.

A bloke in the Queen's Head told me that he was right on the cusp of signing up a big investor and then Covid 19 hit .

Can you believe this guy's luck ?

25 years ! That makes you feel old. Great first season under him and pulis.

He has had his good and bad moments with us but overall he's been good for GFC and GFC has been good to him.

I just wished he'd communicate better with the fans. Its is a real weakness in my opinion. No doubting his passion but take us with you.

10 years of success followed by 15 years of stagnation. I’d have preferred he moved on around 2005, but at least we still have a club to support I suppose. Not surprised that ITV Digital got a mention in the article above!

I can never find the papers, but I am sure at the time of the ITV Digital collapse Scally boasted that it would not effect us too much as the expected money had not been factored into his calculations. He said that until the money was a certainty, he would not be counting on it. However, when we started going into debt, it was all the fault of the promised ITV money not appearing.

10 years of success followed by 15 years of stagnation. I’d have preferred he moved on around 2005, but at least we still have a club to support I suppose. Not surprised that ITV Digital got a mention in the article above!

TBF Lark, if the last 15 years have been “stagnation”, then it’s exactly what we had for the 60 years prior to his arrival.

Actually, in the past 15 years have we had 2 relegations and 2 promotions? Including a Title win and a Wembley trip? That’s probably more than those previous 60 years.

To be fair to Scally, I don't think there's anything wrong with marking a milestone like that with a little look back at what's been achieved over the last 25 years.

And anyway, I learnt something new - seven kids? :eek:

Now is he evens with Bunter, or one better?

TBF Lark, if the last 15 years have been “stagnation”, then it’s exactly what we had for the 60 years prior to his arrival.

Actually, in the past 15 years have we had 2 relegations and 2 promotions? Including a Title win and a Wembley trip? That’s probably more than those previous 60 years.
Yo-Yoing between Leagues 1 and 2 isn’t progression when his own stated aim is to reach the Premier League.

I can never find the papers, but I am sure at the time of the ITV Digital collapse Scally boasted that it would not effect us too much as the expected money had not been factored into his calculations. He said that until the money was a certainty, he would not be counting on it. However, when we started going into debt, it was all the fault of the promised ITV money not appearing.

He did Rotherhithe.
I remember it well ....... but can’t actually remember what I just went to the shed for 😢

He did Rotherhithe.
I remember it well ....... but can’t actually remember what I just went to the shed for 😢

That always screamed of putting on a brave face for the fans to stop any worrying/moaning etc. At that point if I recall there was a lawsuit being filed against ITV digital if they did indeed go bust, which would have meant we'd have received the same amount of cash anyway - which went to the wall disgracefully.

Yo-Yoing between Leagues 1 and 2 isn’t progression when his own stated aim is to reach the Premier League.

Fully agree there Lark. I’m not sure we could ever get to or sustain that level. Even the Championship is a stretch too far nowadays (to maintain). So I’d sooner our stated aims simply be success on the field in whatever div and a club to be proud of. Trouble is, that would be called stagnating. So you need lofty goals.

But it’s not for want of trying imho. I’m not sure as a club we ever previously strived to reach higher ground. Until the late 70’s and then the 80’s with Summers and Sir Keith, we never seemed to make many attempts to scale Div 3.

But even since we went back down to Div 4 from the Championship, PS has at least appointed some decent managers of different styles and background in an attempt to get back there.

We’ve had the club legend approach, the “up n coming” with JED and the tried and successfully tested in MA and SE. As well as a couple of duds.

But it’s not for want of trying. He even (unsuccessfully) splashed some cash around for players a few years ago under JED. Success in this division isnt easy. Ask Ipswich, Peterboro and Sunderland. And Southend, Bolton, Tranmere, Lincoln.... all clubs with probably greater resources and bigger crowds than ours.