25 Years Ago Today - My Life Changed Forever | Page 2 | Vital Football

25 Years Ago Today - My Life Changed Forever

Without going into too much detail but I was diagnosed with a tumour on a kidney in 2004 and had to have the offending item and the organ that it was attached to removed. The day before I was due to be admitted, I met the surgeon and he told me that in spite of the many scans that had been taken, they would not be sure of the extent of the surgery until they opened me up and I might lose the kidney, spleen and part of the bowel in the operation. He said that I might be in theatre for an hour or several hours. That really hit me and you start thinking "what if I don't come out of the operating theatre".
That night I wrote a letter to my wife and daughter and my Dad telling them how much Ioved them and giving them words that might comfort them. I provided details of what I wanted for the funeral and who was to be invited. I even said that I wanted to join the Holte Enders in the Sky in my European Cup Final shirt (the one with short sleeves of course), Wrangler jeans and Adidas Sambas. I printed it out and left it by my bed before I went for the operation - it gave me strength knowing that I had done it as I went into the unknown. Thankfully, I was able to retrieve it when I came round. I still have the file on my computer and have had to revise it a few times since - Dad is no longer with us now. The location of the file is on a piece of paper in my wallet in case it is needed. I have never got around to writing a will yet, but it does need doing.
To support the veiws of JF, we are never sure what life has in store for us and we must make the best of what we get. I was determined not to let cancer beat me and I think that PMA got me through. At 62, I am hoping to run in theTallalyn Race the Train 10k in August to raise money for Cancer Research.

Jot a big fan of Nike but I do like the slogan with a slight addition to make it Brumagem - Just F*****g Do It!!

UTV
VTID
HEITS

Without going into too much detail but I was diagnosed with a tumour on a kidney in 2004 and had to have the offending item and the organ that it was attached to removed. The day before I was due to be admitted, I met the surgeon and he told me that in spite of the many scans that had been taken, they would not be sure of the extent of the surgery until they opened me up and I might lose the kidney, spleen and part of the bowel in the operation. He said that I might be in theatre for an hour or several hours. That really hit me and you start thinking "what if I don't come out of the operating theatre".
That night I wrote a letter to my wife and daughter and my Dad telling them how much Ioved them and giving them words that might comfort them. I provided details of what I wanted for the funeral and who was to be invited. I even said that I wanted to join the Holte Enders in the Sky in my European Cup Final shirt (the one with short sleeves of course), Wrangler jeans and Adidas Sambas. I printed it out and left it by my bed before I went for the operation - it gave me strength knowing that I had done it as I went into the unknown. Thankfully, I was able to retrieve it when I came round. I still have the file on my computer and have had to revise it a few times since - Dad is no longer with us now. The location of the file is on a piece of paper in my wallet in case it is needed. I have never got around to writing a will yet, but it does need doing.
To support the veiws of JF, we are never sure what life has in store for us and we must make the best of what we get. I was determined not to let cancer beat me and I think that PMA got me through. At 62, I am hoping to run in theTallalyn Race the Train 10k in August to raise money for Cancer Research.

Jot a big fan of Nike but I do like the slogan with a slight addition to make it Brumagem - Just F*****g Do It!!

UTV
VTID
HEITS

Good luck with the run C & B it's a good event. If you do a Just Giving page or similar let me know.

Good luck with the run C & B it's a good event. If you do a Just Giving page or similar let me know.
Thanks Sir Den.
I will be running with my daughter and she is raising funds for Teenage Cancer. We will circulate the links closer to the event.
We love Tywyn and my best mate from the 70s has lived there for over 30 years now. Still mad about the Villa and is hoping for a revival so that he can shut up all the Dog Heads and Bin Dippers that live by him.

Brilliant post Claret & Blue Blood.
Thanks JF - my dear old Mom used to have a saying that was "you never know what is around the corner" and it is true. Illness has no favourites and it can strike you down at any time. All of our grand plans can quickly disappear and time horizons can go from being "this time next year" to "it would be nice to reach the end of the month".
All we can do is be strong and do the best we can and listen to words of wisdom from others.
A song that gives me great strength is by one of my favourite C&W artists, Garth Brooks - watch and take heed.

I am in a pondering achy mood atm. I can't believe my husband has been passed 10 months. It's 9 weeks to the first AngelVersary (A widows terms from a dictionary of terms for grievers I found online)

Your right! No one knows what's around the corner. Although we all knew David wasn't a well man. I kinda got used to be wasn't going to live to a ripe old age. However the events of Monday 19th March shocked everyone including the medical profession.

Live your life. Make sure your will and finances with instructions are in place.

Make sure a loved one has access to cash up front for the funeral directors or better still put a pre paid funeral in place like we had. You can either pay up front and the price is held until it happens or take out pre payment funerals like we did where we paid monthly on a direct debit.

Gloomy Yes! Necessary Yes! A natural part of life! Yes! My attitude towards bereavement and death has changed alot in the last year

I am in a pondering achy mood atm. I can't believe my husband has been passed 10 months. It's 9 weeks to the first AngelVersary (A widows terms from a dictionary of terms for grievers I found online)

Your right! No one knows what's around the corner. Although we all knew David wasn't a well man. I kinda got used to be wasn't going to live to a ripe old age. However the events of Monday 19th March shocked everyone including the medical profession.

Live your life. Make sure your will and finances with instructions are in place.

Make sure a loved one has access to cash up front for the funeral directors or better still put a pre paid funeral in place like we had. You can either pay up front and the price is held until it happens or take out pre payment funerals like we did where we paid monthly on a direct debit.

Gloomy Yes! Necessary Yes! A natural part of life! Yes! My attitude towards bereavement and death has changed alot in the last year
A great book that puts it all into context is by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and she gives some deep meaning to the grief cycle that we go through - On Death and Dying is well worth a read.

A great book that puts it all into context is by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and she gives some deep meaning to the grief cycle that we go through - On Death and Dying is well worth a read.

Sounds worth a read. I will add it to my book list or kindle if available on. Thank you