20220522 - PL Match Thread - Norwich FC vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 19 | Vital Football

20220522 - PL Match Thread - Norwich FC vs Tottenham Hotspur

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting where our goals came from or how they built up. Did our WBs have anything to do with it ? Bento and Hojbjerg had strong games as did Kulu. Do we need to pursue the WB route ? Keeping in mind how few good ones there are.

Yes WB's will be a priority I think.

Also they are not going to be helped by losing those two ugly centre halves Rudiger and Christiansen. Hard to replace them and also one or two other long established players. They will have a season of turmoil I think ……..I hope!
Depends on what their ownership is like and when it gets sorted too. It really could mess with their season which would be ever so sad to see...

They didn't feature much in the goals or build up from what I could see. I think I'd rather have an Eriksen type in a MF 3 than 2 WBs.

Sessegnon had 2 key passes, but I can't remember if they led to goals. They both had very solid games though and Royal is looking more and more solid defensively. I really do think Royal is starting to settle now and if he just sorts out his final ball he could be quite the player.

What doesn't get remembered is Walker and Rose both had pretty poor final balls in their time with us and was a constant critique from Spurs fans, but they still influenced our attack and recovery in similar ways to what Royal and Sess have been doing in recent weeks.

The biggest question mark over a WB this summer will be over Reguilon.

Sessegnon had 2 key passes, but I can't remember if they led to goals. They both had very solid games though and Royal is looking more and more solid defensively. I really do think Royal is starting to settle now and if he just sorts out his final ball he could be quite the player.

What doesn't get remembered is Walker and Rose both had pretty poor final balls in their time with us and was a constant critique from Spurs fans, but they still influenced our attack and recovery in similar ways to what Royal and Sess have been doing in recent weeks.

I always defended Roses inconsistent delivery and Walkers lack of quality of delivery as in a 4 at the back their fitness and ability to run the line was the most important factor. But i worry that our wing backs are the ones in dangerous position far more frequently. So not only is that fitness important but they now need to have that quality too

That being said, I'm starting to like what I'm seeing from Royal and Sess over the last month. Fitness is key with Sess, he can't afford to get yet another injury before he has a run of games.

I always defended Roses inconsistent delivery and Walkers lack of quality of delivery as in a 4 at the back their fitness and ability to run the line was the most important factor. But i worry that our wing backs are the ones in dangerous position far more frequently. So not only is that fitness important but they now need to have that quality too

That being said, I'm starting to like what I'm seeing from Royal and Sess over the last month. Fitness is key with Sess, he can't afford to get yet another injury before he has a run of games.

I never worry about Sess's ability to get goals and assists. His crossing is just fine. It is way better than Rose's ever was. As you say though, it's that injury record that worries us.

With Emerson, it's his crossing and his timing of the overlap that is all wrong. He always overlaps too early and removes the surprise element. He just hasn't got the ability to take anyone on.

I never worry about Sess's ability to get goals and assists. His crossing is just fine. It is way better than Rose's ever was. As you say though, it's that injury record that worries us.

With Emerson, it's his crossing and his timing of the overlap that is all wrong. He always overlaps too early and removes the surprise element. He just hasn't got the ability to take anyone on.
Sess is making me start eating humble pie the last month or so. Needs to keep it up amd stop that timidness that he has. I want him to have more swagger about his abilities that genuinely does have.

I noticed Royal started to try and take his man on recently, something none of our other wing backs are capable of. I think confidence is a big key for him too

My point is look where the quality was today. Front 3 and through the middle with Bento and Hojbjerg. And they are not really attacking MFs. If we had an Eriksen type in there with them maybe our creativity would improve. I am hopeful Sess will make it but do we need a WB on both sides ?

I always pictured a wingback system with a narrow front line but with Contes system having two wide forwards it seems WBs have a very different role. Royal was very central at times and you can see we are looking to probe centrally rather than just bomb the wings.

What a wonderful end to the season. 5-0 win fulfilling my score prediction, never a Spursey moment despite what was at stake, GB for Sonny, and CL qualification at the expense of --- Arsenal. It's a great Monday. Whilst maybe Norwich was the perfect fixture to complete the objectives, the efficiency and ruthlessness displayed was top drawer.

Sess is making me start eating humble pie the last month or so. Needs to keep it up amd stop that timidness that he has. I want him to have more swagger about his abilities that genuinely does have.

I noticed Royal started to try and take his man on recently, something none of our other wing backs are capable of. I think confidence is a big key for him too
Humble pie for me as well Meee . I had him down as a lost soul out there . Frightened of everybody and anything .
I was dreading the bindipper game , up against Salah …….. I don’t remember Salah doing much at all in that game . Similarly in the City game , he played well .
Still not sure about Royal . Time will tell . He is improving though . He reminds me of a young Rudiger , we have to remember how young he is in PL experience .

I'm ambivalent about the 3 CBs and wingback system.

At times - against teams that defend deep or are defending a lead - one or two of them look redundant. It's less of a problem if they are capable of bringing the ball out from the back and joining the midfield/attack or their long passing is good enough. But, really, only Romero falls into that category.

At times it also leaves our midfield duo overwhelmed. Particularly if the front three aren't pulling their weight.

However the wing back system gives us width that we wouldn't otherwise have. This creates space for Kulu and Son. I don't think it's any coincidence that Son's goal surge in the last 10 games has coincided with Sess's reintroduction. Sess may not have Reggie's raw pace - to the naked eye anyway - but the timing of his runs and positions are better. His movement creates space for Son.

Been saying this for weeks; the confidence within the club about how good he could be is very high; a full preseason, a little bit more encouragement and who knows just how good he could end up.

In fairness Paraticci really is showing that he knows how to pick them - I recall kul and Benty being written off here as Juve cast-off's!! What a difference his signings have made. Incredible really.

I'm ambivalent about the 3 CBs and wingback system.

At times - against teams that defend deep or are defending a lead - one or two of them look redundant. It's less of a problem if they are capable of bringing the ball out from the back and joining the midfield/attack or their long passing is good enough. But, really, only Romero falls into that category.

At times it also leaves our midfield duo overwhelmed. Particularly if the front three aren't pulling their weight.

However the wing back system gives us width that we wouldn't otherwise have. This creates space for Kulu and Son. I don't think it's any coincidence that Son's goal surge in the last 10 games has coincided with Sess's reintroduction. Sess may not have Reggie's raw pace - to the naked eye anyway - but the timing of his runs and positions are better. His movement creates space for Son.

There was a time when Sess was faster and had pace to spare, whether that will come back as confidence in his body does is another question though.

My point is look where the quality was today. Front 3 and through the middle with Bento and Hojbjerg. And they are not really attacking MFs. If we had an Eriksen type in there with them maybe our creativity would improve. I am hopeful Sess will make it but do we need a WB on both sides ?
I for hope we bring back Eriksen ASAP, but I would point out that pool one the title with Henderson and Winaldum. Neither of those two are creative, however due to the effectiveness of their FB's teams were almost doubling up on them, this left a lot of space in the middle to exploit.
If we are to persist with 3 at the back we need to acquire at least two top class WB's, this is why I think Kulu will end up as a WB, I can hear everyone going mental.
But I will point out that Cone used Ivan Perisic as a WB at Inter, I would of course prefer to keep Kulu in his current position, but it might be easier to find a wide attacking player than a top class WB.
Imagine a WB with the most assists in the league as pool have who also chips in with 7 or 8 goals a season, a Good WB is almost impossible to mark. They hang back till they see the opposition drawn across to the other side, then they make their move. Of course you need players that can switch play quickly.