20210930 ECL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs NS Mura | Page 8 | Vital Football

20210930 ECL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs NS Mura

Result?

• Win

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My thoughts watching last night...
1st half
1st 10mins or so. yeah we are up for it, 2-0, but do not have that destroy em touch but the we have won this lads attitude.
Next 35mins or so Jesus this is boring, tippy tappy, no movement, cannot pass, at this rate the other lot will score, might even be a shock!

2nd half
1st 15mins or so, what the fcuk's going on, they score, looks like we are the nobody team
Last 30mins, changes, I sit back up, tempo way better, passing way better, mmmm! job done, but don't we make hard work of things.

Dele had Gil and Scarlett to work with. Loco after his goal did little right either until the big 3 came on.
Dele won the pen and put it away. He was trying to create things with 2 kids in front of him, one who was way out of his depth which is worrying at that level and the other is a showboater with no end product !!
If Dele had the big 3 in front of him he would have shone like Loco did.

'Kane's back and scoring goals' - but have Tottenham just papered over the cracks?
Last updated on
30 September 202130 September 2021.From the section Tottenham
_120776335_gettyimages-1344139104.jpg
Harry Kane is only the third player to score a hat-trick in three different major Uefa competitions
Harry Kane came to Tottenham's rescue with a second-half hat-trick against Slovenian side NS Mura in the Europa Conference League and responded in style to the growing questions about his form.
Having failed to find the back of the net in five below-par Premier League outings, Kane came off the bench to rediscover his scoring touch - just when Spurs were starting to look nervy against the minnows.

Leading 2-0, they started the second half slowly and the visitors - who were only formed in 2012 - looked capable of producing a huge upset when they pulled a goal back.
It was Kane's introduction on 60 minutes, along with Son Heung-Min and Lucas Moura, that turned the game around against the lowest-ranked team in the competition.
Kane, who wanted to move to Manchester City in the summer, told BT Sport: "Every striker wants to score goals. I probably wasn't expecting to come on today, but it's nice to get the minutes."
In his 30-minute stint, Kane's treble showed "why he is one of the best finishers, if not the best finisher in the world", according to BT Sport summariser Clive Allen.
The display followed the 3-1 humbling by rivals Arsenal on Sunday.
Former Spurs striker Peter Crouch added on BT Sport: "It was just perfect, that Arsenal game is gone. It is poor opposition, it doesn't matter.
"He still has to score and he is ruthless. Harry Kane is back and scoring goals."
Spurs legend Glenn Hoddle said: "He will feel great. It has worked out perfectly for him. He has scored a hat-trick and, in his mind, that Arsenal performance, which was poor, is out of the window."
'Are Spurs moving in the right direction? I'm not sure'
But, with Thursday's scoreline flattering the hosts, does the result just paper over the cracks for Nuno Espirito Santo's side?
After winning their opening three league games and not conceding a goal, Spurs have lost their last three, including the north London derby.
So far this season, they have managed fewer shots on target and fewer chances created from open play than any other Premier League side.
But, despite picking up only nine league points, it's too soon to talk of a crisis, according to Crouch.
He said: "Crisis is a bit strong at the moment, but it has not been good.
"The last three games before this, the performances and results have been poor. Tonight, it took the three up front to kick-start the game.
"It has not been vintage Tottenham since the opening day of the season. Are they moving in the right direction? I'm not sure."
But, despite another unconvincing performance, Hoddle says manager Santo needs time.
He added: "The second 11 should have taken that team to the cleaners and they didn't - and that is the disappointment.
"Nuno has to be given time. There is a helluva lot of work on the training ground to be done though. There really is."

'Kane's back and scoring goals' - but have Tottenham just papered over the cracks?
Last updated on
30 September 202130 September 2021.From the section Tottenham
_120776335_gettyimages-1344139104.jpg
Harry Kane is only the third player to score a hat-trick in three different major Uefa competitions
Harry Kane came to Tottenham's rescue with a second-half hat-trick against Slovenian side NS Mura in the Europa Conference League and responded in style to the growing questions about his form.
Having failed to find the back of the net in five below-par Premier League outings, Kane came off the bench to rediscover his scoring touch - just when Spurs were starting to look nervy against the minnows.

Leading 2-0, they started the second half slowly and the visitors - who were only formed in 2012 - looked capable of producing a huge upset when they pulled a goal back.
It was Kane's introduction on 60 minutes, along with Son Heung-Min and Lucas Moura, that turned the game around against the lowest-ranked team in the competition.
Kane, who wanted to move to Manchester City in the summer, told BT Sport: "Every striker wants to score goals. I probably wasn't expecting to come on today, but it's nice to get the minutes."
In his 30-minute stint, Kane's treble showed "why he is one of the best finishers, if not the best finisher in the world", according to BT Sport summariser Clive Allen.
The display followed the 3-1 humbling by rivals Arsenal on Sunday.
Former Spurs striker Peter Crouch added on BT Sport: "It was just perfect, that Arsenal game is gone. It is poor opposition, it doesn't matter.
"He still has to score and he is ruthless. Harry Kane is back and scoring goals."
Spurs legend Glenn Hoddle said: "He will feel great. It has worked out perfectly for him. He has scored a hat-trick and, in his mind, that Arsenal performance, which was poor, is out of the window."
'Are Spurs moving in the right direction? I'm not sure'
But, with Thursday's scoreline flattering the hosts, does the result just paper over the cracks for Nuno Espirito Santo's side?
After winning their opening three league games and not conceding a goal, Spurs have lost their last three, including the north London derby.
So far this season, they have managed fewer shots on target and fewer chances created from open play than any other Premier League side.
But, despite picking up only nine league points, it's too soon to talk of a crisis, according to Crouch.
He said: "Crisis is a bit strong at the moment, but it has not been good.
"The last three games before this, the performances and results have been poor. Tonight, it took the three up front to kick-start the game.
"It has not been vintage Tottenham since the opening day of the season. Are they moving in the right direction? I'm not sure."
But, despite another unconvincing performance, Hoddle says manager Santo needs time.
He added: "The second 11 should have taken that team to the cleaners and they didn't - and that is the disappointment.
"Nuno has to be given time. There is a helluva lot of work on the training ground to be done though. There really is."

Hoddle, Allen and Crouch all quoted in that article.

Dele had Gil and Scarlett to work with. Loco after his goal did little right either until the big 3 came on.
Dele won the pen and put it away. He was trying to create things with 2 kids in front of him, one who was way out of his depth which is worrying at that level and the other is a showboater with no end product !!
If Dele had the big 3 in front of him he would have shone like Loco did.

Would have made absolutely zero difference to Dele trying to play stupid chipped balls that don't even get past the first man, repeatedly. Poor distribution, poor decisions, poor closing down and inability to impose himself on yet another game can't again be parked at the door of others rather than Dele himself.

The world isn't black and white, Dele isn't entirely awful or absolutely amazing. He rightfully should be praised when he does well and slated when he plays poorly. Nor does a player's application and abilty have any permanence, players improve and can regress greatly.

Afraid tiredness caught up with me and I recorded it, scanned much of the first half, so my observations may not be accurate, but in all seriousness as someone who hopes he can rediscover his touch, his passing is now of serious concern, he needs to get back to basics, or he's not even going to be given this season, he looks so out of sorts that I'm afraid his critics will soon win the argument about giving him any time to rediscover the talent he has in abundance.

About giving him time, Ex; discussion about his error-strewn game started over three and a half years ago. How long does it take a professional footballer to become proficient at kicking a ball around!!! The excuses for Alli are becoming more desperate.

Would have made absolutely zero difference to Dele trying to play stupid chipped balls that don't even get past the first man, repeatedly. Poor distribution, poor decisions, poor closing down and inability to impose himself on yet another game can't again be parked at the door of others rather than Dele himself.

The world isn't black and white, Dele isn't entirely awful or absolutely amazing. He rightfully should be praised when he does well and slated when he plays poorly. Nor does a player's application and abilty have any permanence, players improve and can regress greatly.

Playing with Kane against Wolves Dele got an assist with a first touch weighted ball through the middle which is evidence Dele can do it. So I don't accept it makes no difference who he plays with. That's a pen won and converted and an assist in both games we have won lately.

Playing with Kane against Wolves Dele got an assist with a first touch weighted ball through the middle which is evidence Dele can do it. So I don't accept it makes no difference who he plays with. That's a pen won and converted and an assist in both games we have won lately.

Dele has played over a hundred games in the past three years, the vast majority with Son, Kane and Moura, not the stiffs on the B-team, and yet his ball retention and decisions are still largely inept.

I don't see how Son or Gil being in front of him makes any difference at all in the decision process in his head to play silly wedge balls or blind passes that lose possession most of the time.

A goal or assist here or there doesn't negate his regression tat all his coaches, the fans and pundits can all see. Nor does anything whatsoever dictate that Dele will never reach those heights again.

That 'painful rebuild' will never be achieved if fans want to keep hold of Dier, Winks, Dele, Doc, Sanchez or whoever on the chance that they will turn around a regression that has cost us two years, three coaches and four league positions. Just in the forlorn hope that they will magically become better again.

Dele has played over a hundred games in the past three years, the vast majority with Son, Kane and Moura, not the stiffs on the B-team, and yet his ball retention and decisions are still largely inept.

I don't see how Son or Gil being in front of him makes any difference at all in the decision process in his head to play silly wedge balls or blind passes that lose possession most of the time.

A goal or assist here or there doesn't negate his regression tat all his coaches, the fans and pundits can all see. Nor does anything whatsoever dictate that Dele will never reach those heights again.

That 'painful rebuild' will never be achieved if fans want to keep hold of Dier, Winks, Dele, Doc, Sanchez or whoever on the chance that they will turn around a regression that has cost us two years, three coaches and four league positions. Just in the forlorn hope that they will magically become better again.

Well said.

You said absolutely no difference which has no basis of truth especially as he proved he can do it for Kane who knows how to time a run. Scarlett is not there yet. I am talking specifics not generalisation. Its just as likely Dele would have provided a ball for Kane or Son as not.

You said absolutely no difference which has no basis of truth especially as he proved he can do it for Kane who knows how to time a run. Scarlett is not there yet. I am talking specifics not generalisation. Its just as likely Dele would have provided a ball for Kane or Son as not.

Yep, perhaps Dele should stop taking responsibility when his team mates aren't doing the basics. Gil disappeared and didn't secure the left side of the pitch with Reggie and Winks, so Dele got deeper and deeper. As the captain of the team, he dug in when guys like Gil didn't. I bet Dele would have loved to stay at 10 all game.

Dele does need to improve his ball retention stats though. He needs to relax and is putting too much pressure on himself. Trying too hard is a thing in football, we all know that.

Yep, perhaps Dele should stop taking responsibility when his team mates aren't doing the basics. Gil disappeared and didn't secure the left side of the pitch with Reggie and Winks, so Dele got deeper and deeper. As the captain of the team, he dug in when guys like Gil didn't. I bet Dele would have loved to stay at 10 all game.

Dele does need to improve his ball retention stats though. He needs to relax and is putting too much pressure on himself. Trying too hard is a thing in football, we all know that.
I felt sorry for Dele, he was captain trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. He has taken being subbed well though. He still contributed to a half where we scored 2 goals and set the team up with a basis to continue with the big guns. He is still very positive judging by his interview.
I hope he finds his place in the team which is seemingly undecided at the moment.