20210919 PL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea FC | Page 16 | Vital Football

20210919 PL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea FC

Result?

• Win

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One other note. There were several mentions of Hojberg yesterday and how well he was playing.

I submit, and I believe it to be true, when he has a standout game we do not win and are usually not playing well.

Just about everything that needs saying has been said. At the match even though we played well in the first half and a couple of times opened them up, it was clear that they were being brilliantly organised on the pitch by Thiago Silva. He was absolutely superb and shows how wise Tuchel was to make him his first signing. It was Silva that seemed to dictate everything from deep. He always seemed to have time. The experience and class of a nearly 37 year old.
It has already been said that the introduction of Kante at half time made the difference. Tuchel had a very good bench at his disposal but his tactical prowess compared to Nuno showed him to be far superior notwithstanding the greater quality of his bench.
Also Chelsea has a clear style and pattern of play which was like a smooth machine. Can anyone tell me what our style of play is meant to be please? Too much is played off the cuff in the hope that something will come off. There is no game plan that I can see with no evident pattern of play.
Finally in my view Lo Celso is not a Premier League player. He does not have the stamina and frankly can’t handle the physicality. For me the jury is out on N’Dombele for the same reason. Romero could well make it and I hope that Emerson does too. It is a bit early yet.
So to summarise. We desperately need an on field organiser like Thiago. We need creative players in midfield that can stand the heat in the kitchen for a full match. And we desperately need a pattern of play and game plan that all of the team buy into and are committed to. That bit is down to Nuno and I hope he has it in him although I have grave reservations from what I am seeing.

I think we should take heart from the first half performance. It was impressive. Some great energy and attitude. However, at high tempo and winning a lot of duels, I was majorly disappointed with Lo Celso and Reguillons use of the ball. I'm close to giving up on Lo Celso and I'm almost certain Reguillon is not cut out for Premier League football. He always looks under pressure. I had great hope for him but it's dwindling.

I think we should take heart from the first half performance. It was impressive. Some great energy and attitude. However, at high tempo and winning a lot of duels, I was majorly disappointed with Lo Celso and Reguillons use of the ball. I'm close to giving up on Lo Celso and I'm almost certain Reguillon is not cut out for Premier League football. He always looks under pressure. I had great hope for him but it's dwindling.

Agreed, it is what most of us wanted to see. We can beat most teams and I still think we have a shot at top 4. I think Paratici will be active in January. We just need to deal with Kane in whatever way is necessary.

We need a front three with distributed scoring.

I'm pretty sure Dele has a better goals and assists return than Lucas in his time here. However I'm confident his best days are gone.

Lo Celso looks poor. I don't think he can handle the Premier league pace and physicality.

And so he should, he, has been here longer! Alli is now a player the opposition look forward to playing against, as he offers little to no threat. Yes, his best days are gone, but we're still holding onto him; why? As for Lo Celso, I called him out for being average two years ago; as per usual, the belittling comments followed. Well, two years down the line, he's another one proving me right.

And so he should, he, has been here longer! Alli is now a player the opposition look forward to playing against, as he offers little to no threat. Yes, his best days are gone, but we're still holding onto him; why? As for Lo Celso, I called him out for being average two years ago; as per usual, the belittling comments followed. Well, two years down the line, he's another one proving me right.

Belittling comments? From whom?

You will find that in a forum of opinions, not everyone will align all of the time, let alone part of the time, don't understand why you have such a persecution complex?!

I for one thought that with an injury-free run and time to settle he'd showed enough to improve, I still have a view that he will improve, but not to the extent I once thought; he needs a run of games before I write him off.

Belittling comments? From whom?

You will find that in a forum of opinions, not everyone will align all of the time, let alone part of the time, don't understand why you have such a persecution complex?!

I for one thought that with an injury-free run and time to settle he'd showed enough to improve, I still have a view that he will improve, but not to the extent I once thought; he needs a run of games before I write him off.

My experiences on this forum are different from yours. I'm not one for toeing the line and being a yes man to what others want to hear. I call it as I see it, some on here are not mature enough to accept that.

Because he is tearing the formation apart on the field.

Every complaint you had in your post (or nearly) could be equated to the CF not being in the expected area of the pitch.

Its not a sport of individual performances, its a team, and if the most important cog in that wheel is fukin shit up, it all falls apart real fast.

But he was not. He was working and doing good work with the ball also closing down all while be played at lw. The most important cogg in yesterday's plan was Son to stretch and beat Tiago but he failed. He didn't work as hard as Harry and did nothing with the ball. Neither did Gio. I am not saying Harry played well but compared to Gio ,Son Dele and others he was quality. Dele and Hojbjerg gave 100% running around but accomplishing nothing. I think apart from Dier and Hugo the whole team should be ashamed. People can say we played with a high tempo and caught Chelsea of guard but that was for 20 minutes at most and we still created nothing. The only decent shot was from Kane in the 2nd half. Even under Jose we created more than this. We are awful not just one player 95 % of the squad is not good enough or not willing to fight for the club. Two of the only players who were in Toby and Erik were shown the door. There is no getting away from this we are in trouble

But he was not. He was working and doing good work with the ball also closing down all while be played at lw. The most important cogg in yesterday's plan was Son to stretch and beat Tiago but he failed. He didn't work as hard as Harry and did nothing with the ball. Neither did Gio. I am not saying Harry played well but compared to Gio ,Son Dele and others he was quality. Dele and Hojbjerg gave 100% running around but accomplishing nothing. I think apart from Dier and Hugo the whole team should be ashamed. People can say we played with a high tempo and caught Chelsea of guard but that was for 20 minutes at most and we still created nothing. The only decent shot was from Kane in the 2nd half. Even under Jose we created more than this. We are awful not just one player 95 % of the squad is not good enough or not willing to fight for the club. Two of the only players who were in Toby and Erik were shown the door. There is no getting away from this we are in trouble

My point is that he was still in the wrong position more often than not in the match.

If that is LF play in this system, that'd be a novel approach. There are others who have no prob with the remit there, but he just truly seems to do his own thing.

Once he abandoned his expected contribution, then all others are left ot fill in the gaps n the fly, and thus they are now unpredictable. Fine when you do it to the opposition, but not when its your own players confused.

So much good work in the first half and what, a fluffed pass from Reggie, and a Son chance snuffed & pulled back, that's pretty pathetic, and not good enough. Blame 6 players all moving around looking for joy, but give a pass to the guy lollying about at the midline half the match if you will. Not me.

His heat map is damning.

Son clearly wasn't fit. Playing him was desperation.

Not signing a striker was idiotic of the highest proportions. We lost 2 and replaced neither.

Fabio is getting away with a lot Imo.

The biggest disappointment for me on Sunday was how easily our heads dropped after the first goal and then we totally capitulated after the second.

The goals themselves were poor but it can be remedied. Defending from corners has never been our forte but we've been doing well this season up until Sunday (although it was bizarre seeing Dele mark Thiago a bit later for another corner and still not get off the ground!). Lo Celso was badly caught in possession and PEH was slow to close Kante down, but it was a deflection and fortunate bounce off the post ultimately. The game was over by the time the third went in.

All of the above can be worked on, on the training ground. Instilling a fighting spirit is a much bigger task.

On a positive note Ndombele appears to have committed to us for the season. It was a good week for him on the pitch. On Sunday, after his substitution, he applauded the crowd, high-fived the subs and embraced Nuno. We're certainly going to need him.

Son clearly wasn't fit. Playing him was desperation.

Not signing a striker was idiotic of the highest proportions. We lost 2 and replaced neither.

Fabio is getting away with a lot Imo.

Wasnt for lack of trying.

2 deals done, just not dusted, and the others changed the terms.

Otherwise, there'd be a couple more new young attacking bodies in the squad. Not alot you can do when clubs conduct biz that way.

:smoke:

Wasnt for lack of trying.

2 deals done, just not dusted, and the others changed the terms.

Otherwise, there'd be a couple more new young attacking bodies in the squad. Not alot you can do when clubs conduct biz that way.

:smoke:

Always an excuse with Spurs.

How many times have we heard

" We tried but couldn't get it over the line ".

If our two best strikers don't score I am very worried about who is stepping up to score.

Not replacing Bale and Vinnie has gone unnoticed by many.