2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 116 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

Sad to say…I total;ly agree pope…especially the bit about the numpties :oops:

I don’t see the comparison, other than they both played for Arsenal.

Merson - even with his booze, drug and gambling problems - played pretty consistently throughout his career. Prior to joining Pompey he’d had a successful spell at Villa. Pompey were signing someone who was ageing, but it wasn’t a big risk. He was a consistent performer over the course of more than a decade who Redknapp convinced to join him.

Wilshire is someone whose career has fallen off a cliff. He’s barely played in the last three years. I feel sorry for the guy, but he’d represent a risky signing: a high likelihood of injury, and an investment in wages that would lead to no room to manoeuvre the squad. It’d have to be on pay-as-you-play terms to be worth considering, surely.

Last edited:
Lansbury was superb for us on the whole.

I would take the next Lansbury like a shot over yet another Da Costa or Dumitru.

I would like to see a player in a forest shirt who could receive the ball and I truly believe they might do something with it (other than give it away)

I would take pretty much any player over the shit we've signed in the last couple of years, my recollection of Lansbury over the whole period he was with us wasn't positive but I could be being selective there. I'm not saying you were directly but comparing him to dacosta or dumitru is not fair, maybe Silva ? I wouldn't rate Lansbury any better than him.

From this report and a few other rumours they are not sure he is ready and they aren’t convinced they will get offers either.

As it stated though they were delighted with how Hughton handled him so they wouldn’t be averse to him getting a full season with us.
Garner was amazing… for us. In our worst-performing team for years. Would love to have him back but can’t help but it feel it was a lot easier to stand out in our absolute shower than at a good team like say - Watford. Where he was pretty anonymous.

United will probably be thinking that if he tears it up in the championship, he could be worth 8-10 mill for them. I don’t think they’re really entertaining the idea that he could make it into their first team when they have Van de Beek already warming the bench.

Garner was amazing… for us. In our worst-performing team for years. Would love to have him back but can’t help but it feel it was a lot easier to stand out in our absolute shower than at a good team like say - Watford. Where he was pretty anonymous.

United will probably be thinking that if he tears it up in the championship, he could be worth 8-10 mill for them. I don’t think they’re really entertaining the idea that he could make it into their first team when they have Van de Beek already warming the bench.
Don't agree that Garner stood out because we were an 'absolute shower' - we had an excellent defensive record, a keeper who had his moments but was generally very good (and made the league team of the season), but we struggled to make and take chances.

Maybe Watford had a strong midfield and attack, so he added nothing. For us, he did the nasty stuff when necessary, kept and used the ball well, and scored some great goals. It would be good to see him back for another season (though Yates is capable of doing a lot of the same stuff, maybe in less classy fashion).

My memory of Lansbury is that he was a player with decent enough ability - although his performances were quite inconsistent - but a liability in terms of discipline. Loads of pointless bookings. That combination made him no more than a slightly above average Championship midfielder. He probably had the ability to be a bit better than that but he just wasn’t reliable enough.

Last edited:
Lansburys a funny one. He didn’t get a game under o’driscoll and BD came in end of that season and got him firing - he was then outstanding that following season under Davies as a box to box.

Under Pearce he was actually pretty poor but got a few goals. In fairness the whole team was woeful. He then recovered form under Dougie but the following couple of seasons never really reached the heights of his 2nd season with us.

I’d say at the time I thought he was frustrating and goals masked his play, but having seen us in midfield since then, I’d say he was a very good player for us overall really.

Lansburys a funny one. He didn’t get a game under o’driscoll and BD came in end of that season and got him firing - he was then outstanding that following season under Davies as a box to box.

Under Pearce he was actually pretty poor but got a few goals. In fairness the whole team was woeful. He then recovered form under Dougie but the following couple of seasons never really reached the heights of his 2nd season with us.

I’d say at the time I thought he was frustrating and goals masked his play, but having seen us in midfield since then, I’d say he was a very good player for us overall really.
For me, Lansbury was one of those players who, when we played well, made us even better but if we played badly he added nothing and wasn’t able to make any difference.

For me, Lansbury was one of those players who, when we played well, made us even better but if we played badly he added nothing and wasn’t able to make any difference.

I’d agree with that. Probably why fans have a low opinion of him - he rarely took a game by the scruff of the neck and turned the tide when we were up against it.

That’s often forgiven in the case of most players, but because Lansbury was made captain, made silly tackles and was loud on the pitch, fans were less forgiving when it was sometimes a bit of ‘all mouth, no trousers.

From this report and a few other rumours they are not sure he is ready and they aren’t convinced they will get offers either.

As it stated though they were delighted with how Hughton handled him so they wouldn’t be averse to him getting a full season with us.

We all know it makes sense. After what he did to us in THAT game, id say OGS owes us

Workers at the rumour mill must have been pinged, as it has gone very quiet. Last week three or four players were being mentioned and agents and influencers were peddling like fury. This week very quiet just same old stories being regurgitated. Is this a good sign? More often than not, Forest deals appear very quickly. Horvath, very little from chattering vessels, then suddenly signed. 32 days till transfer window closes so no panic and most big deals will be done late on but a couple of new faces would be nice.

Workers at the rumour mill must have been pinged, as it has gone very quiet. Last week three or four players were being mentioned and agents and influencers were peddling like fury. This week very quiet just same old stories being regurgitated. Is this a good sign? More often than not, Forest deals appear very quickly. Horvath, very little from chattering vessels, then suddenly signed. 32 days till transfer window closes so no panic and most big deals will be done late on but a couple of new faces would be nice.
Just because most deals will be done late on doesn't mean

a) there will be many of them or
b) Forest will get any, or at least any that they want.

No one is going to panic at any stage, but the reality is that it is unlikely the current squad is good enough to compete in the championship, even on a survival level, especially with injuries, suspensions etc. As of nearly August, nothing has been done to remedy that.

32 days of the window to go is nothing. Forest are miles off agreeing a fee for their core targets. They haven't attempted any of the vital squad filler signings to insulate us from the injuries etc that we know full well we'll experience. Nothing has been done to at least put us on a base from which we could be confident of survival, before making the signings that would then push us further.

It's a ludicrously high risk strategy.

If I were an outsider looking in, I would assume two things;

1) Forest are in big financial trouble, have made cuts accordingly and can't afford to even be in the market (I suspect in reality this isn't the case)

2) I would be putting a quiet tenner on forest to go down. Probably a double with Derby.

No one is going to panic at any stage, but the reality is that it is unlikely the current squad is good enough to compete in the championship, even on a survival level, especially with injuries, suspensions etc. As of nearly August, nothing has been done to remedy that.

32 days of the window to go is nothing. Forest are miles off agreeing a fee for their core targets. They haven't attempted any of the vital squad filler signings to insulate us from the injuries etc that we know full well we'll experience. Nothing has been done to at least put us on a base from which we could be confident of survival, before making the signings that would then push us further.

1) Forest are in big financial trouble, have made cuts accordingly and can't afford to even be in the market (I suspect in reality this isn't the case)

2) I would be putting a quiet tenner on forest to go down. Probably a double with Derby.

Do you know who their core targets are and if so what is the fee they are willing to pay? I certainly don’t, so this would be most enlightening.

Pretty sure you are an outsider looking in, you cannot say that most of this post is based on fact just because you don’t know about it, doesnt mean it isn’t happening.

Yeah.. I defo think it's worth a bet on BOTH Forest and Derby going down, because that would be just fucking typical, wouldn't it.

Anyway, we'll still finish above them in the league, even if that does happen!

calm down, calm down, everything comes to he who waits & everything will be fine, not saying for a minute we'll get everyone we want, but have faith in our new recruitment team to make a decent job of it. I would imagine that as a club we are better placed than many.

Just makes decisions to release the likes of Ameobi without much bother even more frustrating and baffling.