2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 92 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

Wasn't there talk of a presser scheduled for today? Guess that's all evaporated...

Getting more than a bit nervous now. Season starts in 2 and a half weeks and we've signed one goalkeeper who hasn't even played yet.

Anyone who does come in will have no time at all on the training pitch.

To try and counteract some of the negativity, perhaps for once the club is being run professionally and we set a value on players we aren't prepared to exceed, it's a buyers market it seems so I'd be happy for us to use the full window to get value rather than buy multiple 30+ year old journeymen from Europe on 3/5 yr contracts. I must be getting old, don't really get hung up in it anymore, it doesn't change the outcome !

People need to get a grip.

There is NO money around, Clubs selling players will be replacing them with loans.

Loans will not become available for most teams until the last two weeks of the window - after the PL teams have completed most of their business.

We will get caught up in all of this trickle down effect just like all other clubs at out level.

I would guess that 90% of all transfer activity will take place in that last two week window.

The situation with Fleming is very simple; his Club need to sell him; he wants to come, we are not prepared to pay what his Club are asking.

Its a case of waiting for his Club to relent.

If another Club comes in for him you can be sure his agent will be on the phone, and then the whole dynamic changes.

People need to get a grip.

There is NO money around, Clubs selling players will be replacing them with loans.

Loans will not become available for most teams until the last two weeks of the window - after the PL teams have completed most of their business.

We will get caught up in all of this trickle down effect just like all other clubs at out level.

I would guess that 90% of all transfer activity will take place in that last two week window.

The situation with Fleming is very simple; his Club need to sell him; he wants to come, we are not prepared to pay what his Club are asking.

Its a case of waiting for his Club to relent.

If another Club comes in for him you can be sure his agent will be on the phone, and then the whole dynamic changes.
This is utterly irrelevant IMO.

It is about what we are left with from last season, not the difficulties everyone is encountering in the market.

A team that has a solid squad with good balance between goals and defence can afford to make the "but the market is shit" argument.

Cardiff have done fairly mundane business and now declare they'll be doing no more.

But they can afford to because they have more than enough to be competitive as they are.

Only the fantasist end of the optimists on this forum believe the squad we have left over from last season's debacle is good enough to remain in this division. I note that not a single person on the forum seems to harbour any hopes of the team actually pushing on from being relegation battlers.

It really, really doesn't matter what the realities of the market are; the club's past disasters mean that they have to make things happen in the next 3-4 weeks or they will be responsible for our third term in tier 3.

No "realities of the market" can counteract that simple reality.

Unfortunately 'simple reality' tends to leave things out.
I've seen teams with no significant additions turn from relegation prospects to promotion chasers pretty much overnight. That's form, confidence and unity. Sometimes all you need is a preseason. We also don't know what effect the fans being back is going to have.
I'm not overly optimistic myself, but there are no foregone conclusions.

Saying its simple reality that we were poor last season so without changing most of our team we will be equally poor or worse is oversimplifying reality to the point of meaninglessness.

Wasn't there talk of a presser scheduled for today? Guess that's all evaporated...

Getting more than a bit nervous now. Season starts in 2 and a half weeks and we've signed one goalkeeper who hasn't even played yet.

Anyone who does come in will have no time at all on the training pitch.

Yes. No doubt AC won't come and face the music with that titbit

We've really got no choice but hope that the club hierarchy know what they are doing, and I know that past performance suggests that is not the case, but there is a lot of new expertise within the set up now. Football is not immune from the financial effects of the last 18 months or so, and allowances need to be made for that.
I know its frustrating, but none of us can form a meaningful opinion until the window is closed, as far as I am concerned I would much rather the club rake the measured approach that they clearly doing than dash about spraying what little cash there is available all over the place on sub standard players as they have before.
It really seems a bit childlike to me jumping up & down demanding signings NOW instead of showing a bit of patience. If signings aren't in by the time the season starts, it's not ideal of course, but it would mean that we have to go with some of the younger players for a bit, and you never know some of them may be a revelation.
A bit of patience please

Maybe it would be more productive to talk about what we would like to see from whatever squad is constructed.

One of the big ones for me would be a good free kick taker. The last reliable free kick scorer we had was Earnshaw- a free kick in the right area for him was almost as good as a penalty (better than his actual penalties in fact).

I want a player to go down and get a free kick and to be getting out of my seat, expecting something might happen.

I would like more threats at set pieces. Cardiff went up because they could win tight games by sorting from headers at set pieces.

I would love to see us ditch 4-2-3-1. I'm sick of it

We've really got no choice but hope that the club hierarchy know what they are doing, and I know that past performance suggests that is not the case, but there is a lot of new expertise within the set up now. Football is not immune from the financial effects of the last 18 months or so, and allowances need to be made for that.
I know its frustrating, but none of us can form a meaningful opinion until the window is closed, as far as I am concerned I would much rather the club rake the measured approach that they clearly doing than dash about spraying what little cash there is available all over the place on sub standard players as they have before.
It really seems a bit childlike to me jumping up & down demanding signings NOW instead of showing a bit of patience. If signings aren't in by the time the season starts, it's not ideal of course, but it would mean that we have to go with some of the younger players for a bit, and you never know some of them may be a revelation.
A bit of patience please
Now see…someone advising we need to be patient…for some reason gets me really angry…maybe its because we have been over 20 years patient :mad::mad:

Unfortunately 'simple reality' tends to leave things out.
I've seen teams with no significant additions turn from relegation prospects to promotion chasers pretty much overnight. That's form, confidence and unity. Sometimes all you need is a preseason. We also don't know what effect the fans being back is going to have.
I'm not overly optimistic myself, but there are no foregone conclusions.

Saying its simple reality that we were poor last season so without changing most of our team we will be equally poor or worse is oversimplifying reality to the point of meaninglessness.
Although we were not very good last year I felt outside the top 7or 8 everyone else was of a similar quality and a lot depended on confidence in respect of the sides outside the top few. Hence I feel there is a fine line between the majority of sides in this league with a handful far better than the rest.

Last edited:
Although we were shite last year I felt outside the top 7or 8 everyone else was of a similar quality and a lot depended on confidence in respect of the sides outside the top few. Hence I feel there is a fine line between the majority of sides in this league with a handful far better than the rest.

Don't swear CHAP, it's most unbecoming

Now see…someone advising we need to be patient…for some reason gets me really angry…maybe its because we have been over 20 years patient :mad::mad:
I have supported Forest for 60+ years and apart from the glory years under BC a couple of decent years under Frank Clarke, and Johnny Carey back in 66 / 67 the team have generally been mediocre that is where you learn to be patient

Maybe it would be more productive to talk about what we would like to see from whatever squad is constructed.

One of the big ones for me would be a good free kick taker. The last reliable free kick scorer we had was Earnshaw- a free kick in the right area for him was almost as good as a penalty (better than his actual penalties in fact).

I want a player to go down and get a free kick and to be getting out of my seat, expecting something might happen.

I would like more threats at set pieces. Cardiff went up because they could win tight games by sorting from headers at set pieces.

I would love to see us ditch 4-2-3-1. I'm sick of it
I actually don’t mind 4-2-3-1 as a formation. Like any formation though it relies on having the right players. Attacking full backs, a pair of disciplined midfielders who can break up attacks and create from deep; at least one player as focal point and willing runners around them.

I would happily see us carry on with it if we make sure we have decent players in the right positions.

This is utterly irrelevant IMO.

It is about what we are left with from last season, not the difficulties everyone is encountering in the market.

A team that has a solid squad with good balance between goals and defence can afford to make the "but the market is shit" argument.

Cardiff have done fairly mundane business and now declare they'll be doing no more.

But they can afford to because they have more than enough to be competitive as they are.

Only the fantasist end of the optimists on this forum believe the squad we have left over from last season's debacle is good enough to remain in this division. I note that not a single person on the forum seems to harbour any hopes of the team actually pushing on from being relegation battlers.

It really, really doesn't matter what the realities of the market are; the club's past disasters mean that they have to make things happen in the next 3-4 weeks or they will be responsible for our third term in tier 3.

I believe we will not be a lower half of table. I also believe we will do some business to strengthen those areas we all know is weak. I also believe we will finish above Cardiff. I therefore am one that feels we will push on this season. Even without additions, which would be disappointing, we are stronger, better prepared, psychologically and physically stronger. A few additions will make this a top ten team. Confidence will help even more. Goals would complete the picture.