2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 52 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

Wages are different entirely

The market value is better determined by an estimate of what a number of clubs would be willing to pay, not just one with money burning a hole in its pocket.

Is Neymar's market value truly £200m just because that was what PSG were willing to pay? Is anyone else willing to pay that? Or able to?

But if Man Utd, Barcelona, Juventus etc were all happy to pay £140m to take him from PSG, wouldn't that be his real market value?

Nope.

One person sells, the other buys that’s a trade. If the seller prices out the buyers competition that’s to the sellers benefit and makes the market.

Fuethermore, whatever advantage the buyer has - money to burn - again, sets the market.
This is why parachute payments are hugely unfair as the ex-prem teams can price people out of the “market” through their spending power.

Nope.

One person sells, the other buys that’s a trade. If the seller prices out the buyers competition that’s to the sellers benefit and makes the market.

Fuethermore, whatever advantage the buyer has - money to burn - again, sets the market.
This is why parachute payments are hugely unfair as the ex-prem teams can price people out of the “market” through their spending power.
I'm going to end this here, because we are talking about different things. You seem to think you need to teach a 5 year old remedial market forces.

In actual fact, there is no single definition of market value in the football transfer market; rather than me being thick, I simply disagree with your simplistic way of looking at it

Wages are different entirely

The market value is better determined by an estimate of what a number of clubs would be willing to pay, not just one with money burning a hole in its pocket.

Is Neymar's market value truly £200m just because that was what PSG were willing to pay? Is anyone else willing to pay that? Or able to?

But if Man Utd, Barcelona, Juventus etc were all happy to pay £140m to take him from PSG, wouldn't that be his real market value?

Basically yes. There’s always a highest bidder. There are such things as special bids (I.e something akin to a marriage value in property where say someone bids more because they own a property next door and there is a special value to them buying the adjoining property) . But essentially a football players value is set by the highest bidder. Generally only age / injury depreciates the value subsequently.

I really like Figuerido and would be disappointed to see him go. The guy defends well, has a good attitude and clearly cares. He made some bad mistakes at one stage, but on the whole has been an excellent signing.

Was surprised at his physicality given he’s Portuguese and playing for the first time in the championship. We should command a really decent fee for him - he’s only 27 and been part of one of the best championship defenses for the last 3 or so seasons.

Fantastic at marking players from set pieces too......

Basically yes. There’s always a highest bidder. There are such things as special bids (I.e something akin to a marriage value in property where say someone bids more because they own a property next door and there is a special value to them buying the adjoining property) . But essentially a football players value is set by the highest bidder. Generally only age / injury depreciates the value subsequently.

Exactly, a market is set by whomever wishes to create the ceiling.

Pretty simplistic stuff, really and doesn't necessitate arbritrary concepts of "value".
I'm going to end this here, because we are talking about different things. You seem to think you need to teach a 5 year old remedial market forces.

In actual fact, there is no single definition of market value in the football transfer market; rather than me being thick, I simply disagree with your simplistic way of looking at it

Nope, thats incorrect.

For those that think that Figueiredo seems like fairly decent player (because to be fair he is to an extent when comparing him to what we've become accustomed to), does anyone remember when Steve Chettle seemed like a fairly shit player........?

Now compare the two....

Last edited:
Apparently Matty James is in demand after being released by Leicester. He is 29 and has barely featured for them in recent seasons. He has been on loan to Barnsley and Coventry though.

Sounds perfect for us…

For those that think that Figueiredo seems like fairly decent player (because to be fair he is to an extent when comparing him to what we've become accustomed to), does anyone remember when Steve Chettle seemed like a fairly shit player........?

Now compare the two....

I was never a big fan of Chettle. He did get a bit better with age but there were always mistakes in him like Fig. Many disagree but whenever I saw chettle on the team sheet I always felt we’d concede. As a squad player Fig is fine but as the main CD I would say no.

I was never a big fan of Chettle. He did get a bit better with age but there were always mistakes in him like Fig. Many disagree but whenever I saw chettle on the team sheet I always felt we’d concede. As a squad player Fig is fine but as the main CD I would say no.

When we were decent you're right the crowd did groan at his inclusion, as we got progressively worse he seemed more and more solid.

Chettle wasn't a great player, but there's barely anyone who has played for us this century that would be fit to pick the peanuts out of his shit.

Chettle wasn't a great player, but there's barely anyone who has played for us this century that would be fit to pick the peanuts out of his shit.

Not sure about that comment - I would cite Wes Morgan and Joe worrall as counters just off the top of my head.Neither are massively better but are better. There will be others as well but I’d have to remind myself of our cd’s over the last 21 years!!

Not sure about that comment - I would cite Wes Morgan and Joe worrall as counters just off the top of my head.Neither are massively better but are better. There will be others as well but I’d have to remind myself of our cd’s over the last 21 years!!

Wilson.

Emiliano Marcondes is being linked after being released by Brentford. The fans rate him fairly highly, say he turns up for big games, scores the odd cracker, intelligent on and off the ball. Would really suit a 4-2-3-1 but injury prone...

They all seem a bit disappointed to see him leave but hope it's a sign they've better players lined up.

Played well in the playoffs for them.

Emiliano Marcondes is being linked after being released by Brentford. The fans rate him fairly highly, say he turns up for big games, scores the odd cracker, intelligent on and off the ball. Would really suit a 4-2-3-1 but injury prone...

They all seem a bit disappointed to see him leave but hope it's a sign they've better players lined up.

Played well in the playoffs for them.
If he is injury prone sign him up. We need to fill that treatment room…

97 appearances and 7 goals for Brentford in 3.5 seasons. Not a bad player but we need players we can rely on.