2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 99 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

From the Derby Fans Forum -
If we sell Buchanan to Forest for peanuts to help pay the bills and we are stuck with Forsyth as first choice for another season I will be seriously depressed.

Despite having a threadbare squad with few defenders they do have two left backs, so one must be surplus. They also have, apparently, a good academy LB who could provide cover. I would guess that Buchanan, with one year on contract, is available at right price. Remember Derby are Nader real pressure as to numbers of players. Getting rid of one in an area where they have cover would make sense. The right price maybe high now but as season starts and perhaps deficits are highlighted so price may come down.

You have to factor in whether Lee wants to come..... allows him to stay local, signing on fee and a payrise!!
I suspect this is probably his ideal transfer.

But if someone like Blackburn or Birmingham come in with similar offers, Derby will prefer to ensure he ends up there. They are not, to my knowledge, obliged to accept all reasonable offers

But if someone like Blackburn or Birmingham come in with similar offers, Derby will prefer to ensure he ends up there. They are not, to my knowledge, obliged to accept all reasonable offers

But as I say, IF he does want to come to us then Derby either get a fee for him or he leaves for nothing next year

But as I say, IF he does want to come to us then Derby either get a fee for him or he leaves for nothing next year
I don't think it's likely that he'll be so determined to come to Forest that he would sacrifice a season of his career sitting at Derby.

Forest may be his local team but from a career point of view we are not a particularly attractive proposition at all. No top six finishes in a decade and very poor squad that were, and still are, relegation candidates.

Obviously I don't know the lad but most pros of his age would rather take a gig at Birmingham or Blackburn than lose a year of his youth waiting for forest, who might not even be in the championship in 12 months time

I don't think it's likely that he'll be so determined to come to Forest that he would sacrifice a season of his career sitting at Derby.

Forest may be his local team but from a career point of view we are not a particularly attractive proposition at all. No top six finishes in a decade and very poor squad that were, and still are, relegation candidates.

Obviously I don't know the lad but most pros of his age would rather take a gig at Birmingham or Blackburn than lose a year of his youth waiting for forest, who might not even be in the championship in 12 months time

But it's certainly possible if it's his ideal transfer (as you suggest). Another year to develop, another year local and won't lose anything in wages buy staying at Derby as he'll probably get a signing on fee next year.

But it's certainly possible if it's his ideal transfer (as you suggest). Another year to develop, another year local and won't lose anything in wages buy staying at Derby as he'll probably get a signing on fee next year.
Of course it's possible.

Absolutely fucking useless to us in the here and now when we desperately need a good left back, mind

Of course it's possible.

Absolutely fucking useless to us in the here and now when we desperately need a good left back, mind

Agree but I'm talking about Derby's hand being forced this season i.e. get a fee from us this season or fuck all next season

Not to us if they can help it though.

They just need to hang on long enough for someone else to come in for him

I do not buy into this rubbish about they will not sell to us; there have been plenty of examples in the past.

Mel wont bother in the slightest; he just wants to stop hemorrhaging money, and our money is as good as anyone's.

I still think there could be PL interest though; that could count us out.

I do not buy into this rubbish about they will not sell to us; there have been plenty of examples in the past.

Mel wont bother in the slightest; he just wants to stop hemorrhaging money, and our money is as good as anyone's.

I still think there could be PL interest though; that could count us out.
It's not a personal thing, it's a marketing thing.

The crucial bit is that they havent sold any season tickets yet.

A good way to drum down interest would be to firesale promising youngsters to the hated enemy when you didn't need to (because others would buy).

A good way to drum down interest would be to firesale promising youngsters to the hated enemy when you didn't need to (because others would buy).

I'd say losing LB on a free would hurt them more than any reduction (if any) in season tickets (again if LB wants to be here)

or he waits a year and we sign him for nothing

There is a clause in Lee's contract whereby Derby can extend it for another year, which will put the price up a bit.

No doubt this may be in transit now, because Lee's agent will be pushing for a payrise - 'Young Player Of The Year' & all that - although, not sure how possible that is with the embargo?

However, the flip side of the coin is that DCFC are in turmoil, embargo & possible points deduction - they are already subject to a deferred points deduction, triggered if they don't pay wages and Lee will want to see his career progress.

Either way, we certainly won't get him on the cheap and I'd imagine they'll be looking for £2m+ plus add-ons.

That may sound a lot, but he's 20 and if we sign him on a 5 year contract, that makes it much more manageable for us.

No they aren't but the player decides where he goes and this has been made public to create interest, hopefully from EPL - although, he's not at that level yet!

There is a clause in Lee's contract whereby Derby can extend it for another year, which will put the price up a bit.

No doubt this may be in transit now, because Lee's agent will be pushing for a payrise - 'Young Player Of The Year' & all that - although, not sure how possible that is with the embargo?

However, the flip side of the coin is that DCFC are in turmoil, embargo & possible points deduction - they are already subject to a deferred points deduction, triggered if they don't pay wages and Lee will want to see his career progress.

Either way, we certainly won't get him on the cheap and I'd imagine they'll be looking for £2m+ plus add-ons.

That may sound a lot, but he's 20 and if we sign him on a 5 year contract, that makes it much more manageable for us.
In a dead market and with the situation they are in I would have guessed £1m plus to get the conversation started with various add ons but if a Prem side comes sniffing all bets are off unless they then want to loan him out…

As Mao says, Mel wants to stop funding DCFC - which as you point out is even harder with no ST revenue.

They've offloaded numerous players and cut their wage bill, but Mel is still having to fund that personally and if they miss another payment of wages - immediate 3 point deduction.

They've got to pay off Keogh too and Mel is already borrowing from 3rd parties, secured against the stadium.

They've also got to provide the accounts in relation to the current potential FFP breach.

In the current circumstances, securing a buyer for DCFC is nigh on impossible - so, they will almost certainly have to sell someone.

In a dead market and with the situation they are in I would have guessed £1m plus to get the conversation started with various add ons but if a Prem side comes sniffing all bets are off unless they then want to loan him out…

Loan is not an option, Lee's wages as an academy graduate are low in footballing terms - they have been trying to get him to sign a new contract for a while - but, they do have the 'extension' clause.

Prem sides can afford, as we did year sago with Darlow & Lascelles, to buy but then loan back to DCFC - that's as likely as anything else.

Loan is not an option, Lee's wages as an academy graduate are low in footballing terms - they have been trying to get him to sign a new contract for a while - but, they do have the 'extension' clause.

Prem sides can afford, as we did year sago with Darlow & Lascelles, to buy but then loan back to DCFC - that's as likely as anything else.
That’s sort of what I meant - a Prem team buying him and then offering him on loan. That may be our only shot if a Prem team does come knocking…