2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 55 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

“We knew it was going to be played direct into Uche Ikpeazu up front and we knew he was going to try to have a wrestle and a war. I think we stood up a lot of it but sometimes the big guy is unplayable. He’s a right handful"

Steven Gerrard
How often is ‘sometimes’?

If it’s 50% plus then great but if it’s once every ten games or so then what’s the point?

Whats this about the magnificent circus 1903 will be back by xmas?

It was 1865 and we will be back by october duk

Someone should get on posting quality control

I did think he looked good when we played them. But… hardly banging them in is he? 6 goals.

Hate to be doom and gloom but it feels like it says a lot about where we’re at that we’d welcome a striker from a relegated side who didn’t even hit double figures last season and has a pretty iffy record in years prior…

I've always believed that substitutes should be impact players and offer something different - I've seen Ikpeazu play quite a few times, genuine pace, power & likes to run at defenders - we won't be getting the finished article in any signings, we're a mid table Championship side - he won't be on big wages and we have to cut our cloth!

Which is not saying much.

I am not averse to signing a big physical type of forward as we will definitely need to sign more than one, and we will need a plan B in games at some stage of the season.

Someone who can get stuck into defenders, likes to attack that area between the penalty spot and the front post and can play with his back to goal; unfortunately Ikpeazu's first touch is a tackle, its a big no for me.

Wouldn't his second touch be a tackle, if you work on the premise he couldn't control it with the first?

If he's a different option that's fine, we need different options we had 3 similar players up front last season so there was no plan b. We also need someone who has pace, and then Grabban as anothet option.

He certainly doesn’t raise the excitement levels. Nothing more than a bang average player who is just about good enough for the division but that’s it.

Fairly sure he scored more than our forwards in the Championship last season - we have to try something different or we'll keep on getting the same outcomes.

Blindingly obvious that the service to our strikers has to be better and almost certainly something CH & Co are working on.

Probably paper talk anyway, but I'm prepared to trust in the manager.

If he's a different option that's fine, we need different options we had 3 similar players up front last season so there was no plan b. We also need someone who has pace, and then Grabban as anothet option.

He's a L1 version of Antonio - but, has the kind of pace & power, that we've been crying out for.

I think Grabban may well end up playing in the no.10 role for some games, as we're pretty much nailed on to be playing 2 x dcms.

Fairly sure he scored more than our forwards in the Championship last season - we have to try something different or we'll keep on getting the same outcomes.

Blindingly obvious that the service to our strikers has to be better and almost certainly something CH & Co are working on.

He did well in the second half of the season.

I would prefer Longman given the choice; his movement and the way he inter changes with the other forwards looked similar to what Johnson spent last season doing at Lincoln; that would be ideal if Hughton does go 4 3 3 and it would create good competition for Lolley and Mighten.

With only one year remaining on his contract he would not cost the earth.

He did well in the second half of the season.

I would prefer Longman given the choice; his movement and the way he inter changes with the other forwards looked similar to what Johnson spent last season doing at Lincoln; that would be ideal if Hughton does go 4 3 3 and it would create good competition for Lolley and Mighten.

With only one year remaining on his contract he would not cost the earth.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Longman too, because there's real substance in the rumours that Lyle Taylor could be on his way.

Some players are already back training, can't remember the official date that all are back in but (I think it's 28th June officially, with weigh ins etc week before) , Hughton does want some new signings in the building for then.

True but then that wasn’t exactly difficult. I am not saying he can’t be useful but on the basis that he shouldn’t be more than a back up at this stage.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Longman too, because there's real substance in the rumours that Lyle Taylor could be on his way.

Some players are already back training, can't remember the official date that all are back in but (I think it's 28th June officially, with weigh ins etc week before) , Hughton does want some new signings in the building for then.

That is what I have heard

It is interesting that some of the players have started back training already.

I know that Hughton was dismayed with the levels of fitness of the squad when he arrived last October; its good to see that the players have taken that on board.

With regard to Grabban playing at 10; I cannot see us playing with an orthodox 10 but I can quite easily see him playing in that kind of position if we adopt a 4 2 31 or a 4 4 1 1 formation.