2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 53 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

Emiliano Marcondes is being linked after being released by Brentford. The fans rate him fairly highly, say he turns up for big games, scores the odd cracker, intelligent on and off the ball. Would really suit a 4-2-3-1 but injury prone...

They all seem a bit disappointed to see him leave but hope it's a sign they've better players lined up.

Played well in the playoffs for them.

Injuries seem to be his main negative. Off top of your head do you know if it has been a single reaccuring problem or multiple injuries?

Injuries seem to be his main negative. Off top of your head do you know if it has been a single reaccuring problem or multiple injuries?

I think he arrived, picked up an injury that lasted months, came back and straight away was out for months again. Then had a pretty injury free couple of years before an injury hit final 12 months.

What are the origins of the Marcondes is injury prone rumour?

His playing record does not suggest he is that susceptible to injury.

He has been at Brentford for four seasons.

He could not hold down a regular place during his first two seasons and went out on loan.

He played 28 games for Brentford and 12 on loan for Midtjyland during his third season and 34 games during his fourth season.

He missed 12 games last season when he was out injured for 7 weeks and 2 games when injured in 2020.

That is hardly the record of an injury prone player.

If Hughton wants a smaller squad he will need a degree of flexibility; Marcondes offers that, not only can he play as an attacking midfield player but he can also play at Centre forward

He could not hold down a regular place during his first two seasons and went out on loan.

He played 28 games for Brentford and 12 on loan for Midtjyland during his third season and 34 games during his fourth season.

He missed 12 games last season when he was out injured for 7 weeks and 2 games when injured in 2020.

If Hughton wants a smaller squad he will need a degree of flexibility; Marcondes offers that, not only can he play as an attacking midfield player but he can also play at Centre forward

I think the perception from them is largely based on his first season.

I'd be happy with him as an addition and hopefully it's a sign we'd be more progressive in our play as he'd not particularly suit a defensive direct style.

I think the perception from them is largely based on his first season.

I'd be happy with him as an addition and hopefully it's a sign we'd be more progressive in our play as he'd not particularly suit a defensive direct style.

His first season was blighted by sleep issues which needed councelling.

I just do not subscribe to the bollocks about Hughton being a defensive manager; his record in the EFL suggests anything but that:

09/10 Newcastle won the league scoring 90 goals
11/12 Birmingham 4th scoring 78 goals
15/16 Brighton 3rd scoring 72 goals

There is no question that his usual modus operandi is to get an organised, settled defence; that is something every decent manager does - they do that because they know that forwards win you games and defences win you trophies, and it has always been thus.

As far as our attacking play goes, Hughton had to cut his cloth accordingly last season; our main/only forward threat was injured for two spells and badly out of form for most of the games he played in; the player brought in to challenge him was found to be worse than useless, and that is being generous.

I appreciate that some people do not understand why, or just ignore the fact, but without a forward capable of holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game, your attacking options are seriously restricted; the impact this has when you play with a solitary forward can be devastating, as we witnessed last season.

Attacking midfield players will not commit to running into space around or in advance of the forward because they know they will be isolated should the forward give the ball away cheaply.

Full backs face the same problem; they just will not commit to getting forward for fear of being stranded.

The two centre backs then camp out on the edge of their own area because they know the ball is coming straight back; why bother pushing up?

I am certain we will see a rejuvenated Grabban next season but the number one priority has to be getting competition in for the forward spot.

We need someone who is going to act as a central pivot who can get defenders out of their comfort zone and get our attacking players into threatening positions.

Hughton will be fully aware of what he needs and he has another 79 days to get those players

His first season was blighted by sleep issues which needed councelling.

I just do not subscribe to the bollocks about Hughton being a defensive manager; his record in the EFL suggests anything but that:

09/10 Newcastle won the league scoring 90 goals
11/12 Birmingham 4th scoring 78 goals
15/16 Brighton 3rd scoring 72 goals

There is no question that his usual modus operandi is to get an organised, settled defence; that is something every decent manager does - they do that because they know that forwards win you games and defences win you trophies, and it has always been thus.

As far as our attacking play goes, Hughton had to cut his cloth accordingly last season; our main/only forward threat was injured for two spells and badly out of form for most of the games he played in; the player brought in to challenge him was found to be worse than useless, and that is being generous.

I appreciate that some people do not understand why, or just ignore the fact, but without a forward capable of holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game, your attacking options are seriously restricted; the impact this has when you play with a solitary forward can be devastating, as we witnessed last season.

Attacking midfield players will not commit to running into space around or in advance of the forward because they know they will be isolated should the forward give the ball away cheaply.

Full backs face the same problem; they just will not commit to getting forward for fear of being stranded.

The two centre backs then camp out on the edge of their own area because they know the ball is coming straight back; why bother pushing up?

I am certain we will see a rejuvenated Grabban next season but the number one priority has to be getting competition in for the forward spot.

We need someone who is going to act as a central pivot who can get defenders out of their comfort zone and get our attacking players into threatening positions.

Hughton will be fully aware of what he needs and he has another 79 days to get those players

I notice you ignored the word direct lol did they not teach that to you during your illustrious coaching career?

He did have sleeping issues, but as I mentioned he also had two long term injuries early on.

A low number of ball touches per player involvement, shorter passing sequences etc. Usually pretty high tempo based on press rather than ball retention. It's distinct to long ball, though you can be a mixed economy and incorporate elements from other styles.

It can be both effective and yield high numbers of goals.

That sounds similar to what Lamouchi attempted.

I have seen nothing to suggest Hughton will take that approach; if he goes after the same type of player he signed during the January window we will be looking to see a lot more of the ball.

That sounds similar to what Lamouchi attempted.

I have seen nothing to suggest Hughton will take that approach; if he goes after the same type of player he signed during the January window we will be looking to see a lot more of the ball.

Yeah, I'd definitely have described Lamouchi as direct and defensive. Absorb pressure, force errors, shorter passing sequences and touches in general.

I don't see expansiveness or ball retention being a super high priority under Hughton but very happy to be wrong on that.

Yeah, I'd definitely have described Lamouchi as direct and defensive. Absorb pressure, force errors, shorter passing sequences and touches in general.

I don't see expansiveness or ball retention being a super high priority under Hughton but very happy to be wrong on that.

Well it depends on what you mean by expansive, but if he gets the players he wants I would say that we will see more passing and movement and retention.

Marinakis has been on a bit of a spending spree.

He has just purchased another TV Company and an e commerce business and spent over 1bn on upgrading some of his fleet, so that they comply with emissions standards, and on a load of new green friendly ships from Korea.

He is now looking at a number of construction and green energy projects.

What he spends on us looks like loose change.

He has just purchased another TV Company and an e commerce business and spent over 1bn on upgrading some of his fleet, so that they comply with emissions standards, and on a load of new green friendly ships from Korea.

When you've got an asset in your portfolio as risky as Forest, you need to diversify your risk quite a bit.

The trouble with these 'flexible' players is that they arent good enough to hold down either of the positions

wonder if he fancies getting in on the hemp business? :) That green change is as powerful as any of the others