2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 118 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

Rubbish - a ludicrously high risk strategy is panic buying above asking price and paying daft wages, specifically to over the hill journeymen.

As posted above - we have to balance the books, we have to move players on that contribute nothing - especially in the current economic environment.

I don't deny that we need additions, but so do many other clubs - the nucleus of the squad is good - Brennan & Gabriel enhance that -hope so does Carvalho.

A fully fit Lolley & Colback add to that too.

I don't share your pessimistic outlook, yes the squad needs work - but, I'm very confident CH & co will get the quality additions needed - just need patience.

OKD, you're deluded, this squad is Scottish Pub League division 6 standard, at best.

Of course we do.

We know that Fleming, Buchanan and Kuvenovic are core targets.

Are you disputing this, given we have bid for all three?

It is widely reported that the club remain some way apart on our valuation of two of them. Do you know more than the entirety of the sports media? If you do that would be most enlightening

Can you post the links of the club confirming those offers?

Just out of curiosity but would people take Wilshere in a pay as you play deal?

What, a player past his best, injury prone and wanting good wages to look pretty in midfield? This is why we are a Championship club for 20 odd years

From this report and a few other rumours they are not sure he is ready and they aren’t convinced they will get offers either.

As it stated though they were delighted with how Hughton handled him so they wouldn’t be averse to him getting a full season with us.
we also have the new ex man utd coach guy that presumably worked with Garner for years

We'll see when the season starts - biggest impact is lack of match fitness due to covid.

If Hughton can get Brennan & Carvalho firing, with Lolley & Mighten - that is a much more attacking and pacy threat than we had.

Taylor & Grabban are both experienced players, far from over the hill.... our biggest area of weakness is full backs - but, we do need more depth to the squad.

Most of the players mentioned don't do an awful lot defensively.

Can you really see Hughton tolerating that?

I thought I saw somewhere that we were enquiring about Josh Doig?
much like the pther names, they literally are ALL rumours until an official bid goes in. Hence we know the 3 players we actually have bid for.
I think the squad, with the addition of JJ and a fit Lolz and improving Mighten is better than last year and if we take the official bids at face value, they are all young, improving and hungry players, thats a huge positive step forward. Hard to be negative about any of it at this point unless youre a bit bi polar

Hmm, im thinking maybe they ask for TOO MUCH defensive duties from some of those

You or I are not the manager. Hughton is.

Knowing what we know about Hughton, he is going to think a number of those players are 'luxury' players and he is not a particularly 'luxurious' manager.

How many of those do you think he would play at the same time, realistically?

Last edited:
OKD, you're deluded, this squad is Scottish Pub League division 6 standard, at best.

We'll see.

The squad isn't that strong but, I'd say Derby's squad is weak.

Covid & missing friendlies puts us on the back foot - but, had we just signed 2 promising youngsters from sides involved in L1 playoffs - we'd be delighted.

Clearly, neither are the finished article but I'd rather give Brennan & Mighten a chance than re-sign Knockaert & Freeman.

We have largely offloaded deadwood - we have players returning from injury, probably too optimistic but I hope Carvalho starts to repay the investment in him.

We will sign loanees - Hughton did it in January and will do again.

Most of the players mentioned don't do an awful lot defensively.

Can you really see Hughton tolerating that?

That was the point, the attacking players need to make us more threatening.

Defensively, we had a top 6 team last year - but have lost Yuri & Christie.

Of the rest,

Samba (& hopefully Horvath) is as good as most at this level.

McKenna & Worrall are up there with best CH pairing in the league.

Blackett & Figgy as cover.

I'd like to see Mbe Soh given a chance.

In DCM we have plenty to choose from - so, our biggest weaknesses are at full back.

The Croatian turned us down, thinking he'd get betters terms/offers - we stood our ground.

He had a change of heart 'apparently' but his agent is touting him around other clubs still..... see latest news on 'other' interested clubs.

If he doesn't want to join, then move on.

Buchanon - different mechanics involved due to the fact it involves Derby, Lee will not sign a new contract & has told the club, he wants to move he has made that clear to them - whether that be to Forest or elsewhere... but Derby hold his contract and really don't want to sell him to us.

Derby have to sell players to be able to sign their 'free agents', but they don't want to sell one of their best prospects to us.

Fleming is valued at c£1.5m - his club want £3.5m - we revised our offer & terms of the deal - they want more - even the player is quoted as saying that the price they are asking for is too much.

We cannot just meet their asking price, because if we do - we'll end up doing it for every player - in business, you have to negotiate and it has to be to Forest's benefit too!

I was told 2 things about the Croat. 1 was ge was offered a route through us to Chanpions League football, the second was when he refused to move to us he was immediately put in the reserves.

I was told 2 things about the Croat. 1 was ge was offered a route through us to Chanpions League football, the second was when he refused to move to us he was immediately put in the reserves.
Sounds like he will have his heart in it when he does sign for us and has his family returned to him then!

I take all stuff I'm told with a pinch of salt to be fair. I was told we was 100% signing Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey. That never happened