2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 103 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

Zinc from Watford, looks like a loan as does the Croatian lad, at least initially. Fleming, if it comes off looks a straight purchase, possibly £2/3m and now Buchanan at £1.5 plus add ons. Need another striker and that is where money goes. Talk of Hughill if Norwich can find replacement. Any strikers likely to be left out of premiership squads that could go on loan.

Apparently, their first offer was 'very low'

Alan Nixon
@reluctantnicko

·
23m

Brentford. Won’t leave the Brennan Johnson thing alone. Expect an improved offer made to Nottingham Forest very shortly …
If he won't sign a contract, he's got to go.

Absolutely zero point in wasting a year building team around a young player (including all the mistakes and inconsistencies that involves) to develop him for another club for free

They are going to be trying to see if they can get £3m and forest rightly won't go near that
And if that is the case then fair enough. I would hope there are other players on our radar.

I am assuming that Derby are only willing to sell because his contract is running down and he is worth something rather than because he isn’t up to it…

Apparently, their first offer was 'very low'

Alan Nixon
@reluctantnicko

·
23m

Brentford. Won’t leave the Brennan Johnson thing alone. Expect an improved offer made to Nottingham Forest very shortly …
I would much rather keep him but with the contract situation it’s not totally in our own hands.

Also have to factor in that Brentford are very good at bringing this type of player on and acting as a stepping stone. And that’s without considering they are now in the Prem.

If he does go though I want it to be a straight sale. No loan back, just get shot…

One of Johnson senior constant complaints was for his son to be in senior squad and getting game time. The reason he has’t signed a new contract is guarantee of first team play time. The reason he went on loan, rather than wait, like Mighten did, was the experience gained playing at Lincoln. If he goes to Brentford I am pretty convinced he will spend most of this season on bench or not in squad. They have a pretty strong squad. Convinced Johnson’s career needs a year at championship level. He is not the finished article. Wrong move now could put career back. I assume Brennan is still living in family home? Going to smoke, not playing, could be very distracting or depressing.

One of Johnson senior constant complaints was for his son to be in senior squad and getting game time. The reason he has’t signed a new contract is guarantee of first team play time. The reason he went on loan, rather than wait, like Mighten did, was the experience gained playing at Lincoln. If he goes to Brentford I am pretty convinced he will spend most of this season on bench or not in squad. They have a pretty strong squad. Convinced Johnson’s career needs a year at championship level. He is not the finished article. Wrong move now could put career back. I assume Brennan is still living in family home? Going to smoke, not playing, could be very distracting or depressing.
Tell that to David- a man who had his career cut short through injury and therefore did not make as much money in a short career as be might have done. As well as that, a man for whom the early ending of that career seems to have led to some family and mental health repercussions.

I am not surprised if he is telling his son to take the maximum money and highest level at the earliest possible time. He is speaking from experience of how fleeting a football career (and opportunity) is.

Johnson senior was in the away end yesterday with the fans enjoying himself by all accounts having photos with everyone. May be a bit happier with him being in the fold

Tell that to David- a man who had his career cut short through injury and therefore did not make as much money in a short career as be might have done. As well as that, a man for whom the early ending of that career seems to have led to some family and mental health repercussions.

I am not surprised if he is telling his son to take the maximum money and highest level at the earliest possible time. He is speaking from experience of how fleeting a football career (and opportunity) is.
Yes you are probably right with that, the only thing left is for us to make as much money out of it as we can.

I'd certainly love to see Brennan put pen to paper on a new contract. Would be a big boost to next season's attacking threat and honestly, not sure he's done enough yet to earn "set for life" wages as a premiership bench warmer.
Realistically you'd expect some sort of release clause written into any contract he does sign, if he does at all.

I'd certainly love to see Brennan put pen to paper on a new contract. Would be a big boost to next season's attacking threat and honestly, not sure he's done enough yet to earn "set for life" wages as a premiership bench warmer.
Realistically you'd expect some sort of release clause written into any contract he does sign, if he does at all.

Assuming the rules are still the same, an under 23 player running out of contract is not quite as bad as an older player, as presumably you still get a fee. Probably not as much as we would otherwise, but it would help if we have had a few written bids for him.

There’s a difference between encouraging your son to maximise his potential and the delusion that a good season in league one makes you a world beater.

There’s a difference between encouraging your son to maximise his potential and the delusion that a good season in league one makes you a world beater.
I don't know whose the delusion is; David Johnson's or the top flight transfer market?

My assumption is that one is playing the other

Assuming the rules are still the same, an under 23 player running out of contract is not quite as bad as an older player, as presumably you still get a fee. Probably not as much as we would otherwise, but it would help if we have had a few written bids for him.
Forest would get a packet of Quavers and a can of diet coke for Brennan on the basis of the costs to the academy of "producing" him.

If the tribunal goes really well you might get a multi pack or Freddos as well

I don't know whose the delusion is; David Johnson's or the top flight transfer market?

My assumption is that one is playing the other
The way David Johnson has spoken, his son is the second coming and Forest aren’t good enough to even be a footnote in his story.

If that’s the way they want to go though we should just get shot for the best price possible. For every player that manages to do what Bamford has there are a dozen at least who are never seen again.

I am hoping though that Brennan sees this season as an opportunity with us. If he is as good as his dad thinks then that really will springboard his career.