2021 Summer Holidays ..... | Page 3 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Holidays .....

I love North Yorkshire but cannot understand the fascination with Cornwall. Been to Cornwall 4 times and was based there in the navy but it never "got me".

Whereas North Yorkshire is some where i would be able to live in easily.

I`ve done a lot of travelling around the UK in my time and have to agree with you about North Yorkshire. For me, it`s the nicest county in all of England and it`s charming collection of quaint market towns and beautiful national parks take some beating. I just spent the last weekend in Easingwold - lovely little town.

Having spent many years leading a hedonistic lifestyle (travelling around southern Europe, North Africa, the Middle East & Asia, working sometimes "on the black", sometimes as a musician etc) & now as a pensioner with limited resources, I have to content myself with exploring the surrounding regions where I live , namely SW France.
Having only a few small towns but many villages, underground caverns, & literally 100's of châteaux in the area, plus the river Dordogne nearby I can't complain ... !

Last edited:
We are thinking about Lancaster for a long week around New Years. I was born there. We both went to university there, and it's a grand old town. Lakes up the road. Morecambe (in January) across the road. And friends in Stockport down the road. Actually rail, we'd do it on trains. No Gills though.

We are thinking about Lancaster for a long week around New Years. I was born there. We both went to university there, and it's a grand old town. Lakes up the road. Morecambe (in January) across the road. And friends in Stockport down the road. Actually rail, we'd do it on trains. No Gills though.

Hit the post with Wigan in January & Morcambe in Feb - oh well. I like Lancaster too, and also have direct progeny links to Lancaster Univ. But beware Aventi West Coast trains - their service is not the most reliable. But, the good news is that Northern Trains has now got rid of those awful pacer trains and has all new rolling stock.

Hit the post with Wigan in January & Morcambe in Feb - oh well. I like Lancaster too, and also have direct progeny links to Lancaster Univ. But beware Aventi West Coast trains - their service is not the most reliable. But, the good news is that Northern Trains has now got rid of those awful pacer trains and has all new rolling stock.

loved the Pacers in a are-these-things-for-real sort of way. If you want to get screeching flanges on the slightest curve, single axle instead of paired is definitely the way to go.

I've been to Cornwall loads of times as a mate moved there about 20 years ago, so have gone down to see him a number of times. I've always thought it was over-rated and the weather has largely been pants when I've been there and nearly always rains - yes, the winters aren't as bitter as in the East, but the summer days are nearly always 5-10 degrees colder than in the south east with more rainy and windy days. Some nice places to see, but becoming more and more crowded.

I am biased as lived here for a number of years, but don't think you can beat east and south east Kent and the bordering East Sussex. I say that from a biased point of view, but we have a Shepherds Hut/holiday let too and the feedback we always get beyond the Hut itself is that the area is a hidden gem - set in a rural location with loads of walks where you see no one other than sheep, cows and tractors and country pubs, short trips to a load of cracking beaches and coastal and tourist towns - Hythe, Canterbury, Rye, Tenterden etc and lots of activities for kids activities on the doorstep - Port Lympne, RHDR, Dover Castle etc. Plus, although this year has been an exeption, the weather is usually pretty good in the summer months and certainly better than the West and North.

I'm off to York in a couple of weeks and haven't been before, so am looking to that as my main summer getaway and seeing the City and Noth Yorks. I hear good things, but not sure I could live there as generally can't stand big-headed loud-mouthed Yorkshiremen, who don't seem to be able to got two sentences without mentioning Yorkshire, but that may well be accentuated and worsen when they travel south, so I'm hoping not to hear so much of their fullofitness when I visit them on their own doorstep!
Agree re Kent, Cornwall and Yorkshiremen (who also think they invented cricket). Already holidayed in Cornwall and N Yorks this year. Nice to visit, grim to live there.

York is a great little city with loads of interesting history across the ages and a decent museum.

As for a Shepherd's hut, wtf? Our friends have one (in Cornwall funnily enough). People pay big money to stay in them. Why??!! I had enough of terrible living conditions in my '20's to volunteer paying a fortune to sit in one of them. Good luck to you if people are mug enough.

Were the Pacers those things that sounded like a clapped out old transit revving its engine while trying to go up a hill ? I thought the plume of Diesel smoke just prior to climbing the slightest hill was nice too - closest I'll get to a steam train experience on an actual service.

Were the Pacers those things that sounded like a clapped out old transit revving its engine while trying to go up a hill ? I thought the plume of Diesel smoke just prior to climbing the slightest hill was nice too - closest I'll get to a steam train experience on an actual service.

You`ve got it "bang" on there, Mark. They were basically a single decker bus chassis with railway wheels fitted. To think that they were knocking around the north for more than forty years (they were supposed to be temporary) beggars belief. But now we have nice new trains, they even have toilets.

Adapted bus body on four wheels. Noisy, screechy but cheap and went. Awful for a daily commute over any distance.

Agree re Kent, Cornwall and Yorkshiremen (who also think they invented cricket). Already holidayed in Cornwall and N Yorks this year. Nice to visit, grim to live there.

York is a great little city with loads of interesting history across the ages and a decent museum.

As for a Shepherd's hut, wtf? Our friends have one (in Cornwall funnily enough). People pay big money to stay in them. Why??!! I had enough of terrible living conditions in my '20's to volunteer paying a fortune to sit in one of them. Good luck to you if people are mug enough.
Couldn’t agree more 58.
My wife and I always say, why would you pay good money to stay somewhere that is worse than you have at home.
A nice hotel, yep.
A trailer (call it what you like) not for me.
Like you, I’ve lived in some crapholes when young.
Now is the time for a bit of luxury.