Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 145 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

An urgent and substantial Government bailout is needed for clubs in the EFL Leagues One and Two, otherwise, up to 10 clubs could go into administration within weeks.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...lubs-could-fold-without-government-bailout-mp

They have heard of the furlough scheme right? I realise that sounds harsher than I mean it.

Government support? How will that fit with FFP? The waters get murkier. It almost feels that football should step back and sort itself out rather than just forge ahead. But of course it won't.

Government support? How will that fit with FFP? The waters get murkier. It almost feels that football should step back and sort itself out rather than just forge ahead. But of course it won't.
Yes been I've talking about FFP for weeks. It simply cannot continue. In addition to government support, owners will have to plough money in far in excess of the income the clubs make in order to keep them going.

I'd imagine there will be a indefinite suspension of it.

Yes been I've talking about FFP for weeks. It simply cannot continue. In addition to government support, owners will have to plough money in far in excess of the income the clubs make in order to keep them going.

I'd imagine there will be a indefinite suspension of it.
Hopefully you're right Pangloss but we're in a dog eats dog place. Self interest. Will prevail at many levels of the game. Villa will rightfully stand our corner and get the best outcome,as will others. Problem is,in part,that the Sky Six don't want the likes of Villa, Newcastle,Hammers and Everton raining on their gravy day parade.

I wonder if this could lead to a widespread revamp of how the game is financed. Currently the TV money is so huge that the fans don't matter, at least in the PL. But further down the pyramid that money isn't there and other sources of income are drying up. Is this the time for fan power to take over? Fans buying into weaker clubs could save them from extinction.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I've just read on Reddit that JM has not been pictured in any of the released pictures since they have been back, the title of that JM post suggests that he could be the player who has asthma and me may not see him for the rest of the season.
Does anyone know if this is true if he does indeed have asthma if it is true it could well be a blow to our chances for the rest of the season any thoughts

Thanks for the nice comments and and in answer to one poster no (unfortunately) I don't have any direct inside information. Fear might remember me (Howard) from ages back with my son Jamie.

The important news today comes from Richard Master the CEO of the Premier League and I quote as follows:-

Masters also admitted the idea of scrapping relegation "would come up for discussion" and was "a significant topic".
"That will be part of the debate we have," he said. "What would happen in that environment (curtailment of season) is something we're yet to discuss with the clubs."

You can bet that there have been active discussions on the issue of scrapping relegation. Why would he have used the words "significant topic"? The EFL have no power to get involved in PL decision. I suppose the FA could cause a problem by trying to block but that would end in court. Sky would shout as they
want competitive games but they will be sidelined.

I guess the compromise could be be Top 2 from Championship promoted but it would need the PL league clubs to vote for this and realistically the league would need to be finished for weight to that argument. Personally I don't have a problem with 22 league season for 20/21

If it is safe and we restart neutral venues I think are ok if no relegation. I think clubs should be allowed to register a new set of 25 players and that they should give a commitment to play the matches in a competitive spirit. If the season is aborted for any reason then Points Per Game should decide final positions but with no relegation. Thats important for Champions (Liverpool deserve it) and for European qualification.

Next week is likely to be a big week for us although don't underestimate the power of kicking the can down the road another two weeks.

There is a war going on behind the scenes involving different parties all with different vested interests. From our viewpoint its high stakes poker and I would say our CEO is likely doing a great job. FA, SKY and Premier League seem to want promotion and relegation.

The paramount factor is that nobody has the right to change the rules to relegate teams. Had the rules stated that if the League is stopped for any reason (say after 28 games played) then its points per game average dictates final position then fair enough but the only way you can have relegation is if all games are finished at the correct venues (although clubs can give up home rights under existing rules).

The reality is that if the Premier League or FA try and force relegation on Villa without a proper complete conclusion then Villa will either take this to Court or they could go Arbitration sports route. After all the Premiership must abide by its own rules. Villa could fairly easily obtain a court injunction stopping the Premier League from having any games played.

Its the above threat that would start proper talking with all clubs and there are options for a negotiated settlement as we could have 22 teams for 21/22 season with no relegation.

I understand that Sky want relegation to make the games more exciting if on neutral venues but if they try and force that through we are in Court.

My personal view is that the league should be halted with no relegation and we use points per game average to decide final positions which include champion and European qualifications. We then can have first two in Championship promoted for a 22 team league next season. Most teams would be ok with this formula although there are other possibilities.

I’m in agreement with that up until promoting the top 2 from the championship. No way in this world the likes of Forest and Fulham will agree. They can argue the pressure would get to Leeds and Albion and they’d overtake them

If the championship doesn't complete I don't think it's fair teams are promoted .

Too bloody right. Leeds fans have been frothing at the mouth demanding the Premier league finish the season so they can be promoted so why should they not have to complete their games. Its not like they have a history of falling to pieces in the last part of the season is it.

Spanish PM has given the go ahead for La liga to resume .
Possibly from the 8th of June.

With Germany forging ahead and now Spain it won't be long before the mighty villa will be back in action chaps and chapseses.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I've just read on Reddit that JM has not been pictured in any of the released pictures since they have been back, the title of that JM post suggests that he could be the player who has asthma and me may not see him for the rest of the season.
Does anyone know if this is true if he does indeed have asthma if it is true it could well be a blow to our chances for the rest of the season any thoughts

Yes, a few people have asked me, I have no ITK about it at all, but seems to be the rumour.

Really??? I’m not sure the 2 teams relegated from Ligue 1 will be happy with that.

But Ligue 1 had already been decided, not much they can do about that.

I just think the option of calling it off now, scrapping relegation, and promoting those in the automatic spots would be the best thing to do and cause the least amount of whinging/lawsuits.

But for some reason people don't want that either, so I give up, get on with it, I really don't care anymore.

But Ligue 1 had already been decided, not much they can do about that.

I just think the option of calling it off now, scrapping relegation, and promoting those in the automatic spots would be the best thing to do and cause the least amount of whinging/lawsuits.

But for some reason people don't want that either, so I give up, get on with it, I really don't care anymore.

I sort of agree, but the same people who came up with this idea also relegated the bottom 2 from the top flight. Surely it should be the same across all divisions

Yeah, still think if you promote, you have to relegate. And if you promote, it really has to be when you are mathematically guaranteed a spot.

Been an interesting discussion all this really.

Have to say I'm proud of my lovely niece, she's only 17, she was asked to go back to her part time job this weekend and went without any of the nonsense some of the footballers are coming out with.

I know I'm a bit hard-arsed, or maybe battle-hardened, but having spoken to some ex players, they seem the same. Others are having to get on with their job of work, no reason why they shouldn't and if they won't, that is fine, (especially if there is a proper reason, remember some men have to go away for months on end in their jobs) then furlough!

We have to be aware we may never have a vaccine, (see the thread in off topic, plenty about that in there) and at some point, as hard as this is for everyone (I worry about my lovely elderly parents, I'm not totally dead of the heart!) life is going to have to go on.

Still not seen any reports of UFC fighters all dropping dead from Covid and they are indoors and properly close quarter (and live in a country run by couldn't give a fuck Trump to-boot)

the way the lockdown has been half arsed, and the death rate amongst the old is so high, the efforts of many of us doing what we have been asked has been pretty much in vain anyway, especially (and again, plenty in off topic) with the amount of stupid ****s who have ignored the rules, some notable selfish gutless footballers amongst them, as well as our lovely PM and his **** of an advisor.

Sorry ramble over, as you were.