Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 144 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

France's Professional Football League [LFP] has agreed on a 22-team second division for next season, meaning no team will be relegated after play was stopped because of the pandemic.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-second-division-to-have-22-teams-next-season
This would have almost universal agreement, footballing wise right through the divisions.
The threat of litigation goes away and it would be seen as a fair solution to a unique situation.
Only Sky and BT would not be happy, and we all know why.

Is this true??

Jesus bloody Christ.

Yes the FA have said they want relegation. They have a lot of say with a special shareholder vote.

Obviously I am a Villa fan and biased but Bournemouth, Watford and Brighton will have major issues due to key players not wanting to play. I am expecting the bottom 6 clubs to stick together because they are all at risk.

Seems the Premier League going on a step by step process which so far has kept all clubs onside. We could not have voted against the current training system. It all heats up next week when they can't kick the can down the road to far.

The more i think about this the more I think a 22 team Premier League for 20/21 is the fairest option with no relegation. There can be an expanded play off system next season to get back to 20 in 21/22 which would involve 4th and 5th bottom in Premier League.

There is a new article in the Athletic saying that insiders at the FA report that the organisation will NOT oppose cancelling relegation from League 2.

Quote: 'while Greg Clarke, FA Chairman, suggested last week that relegation would not be scrapped, sources say he was referring to the PL and Championship where there is a determination among most clubs to continue.

Seems like he speaks with forked tongue...back tracking now??

I've seen some people argue with the 22 team league idea, and the promotion side of it, saying what about those currently in the play-offs?

Yeah, sure, and what about those just outside the play-offs? And what about those who think they might have finished one place higher and been awarded a little bit more money?

The line has to be drawn somewhere ffs, how about where there is an actual line at the top of the league tables.

How about finishing the season. Whether its now, behind closed doors, or if not safe now, when it is actually safe.
It really is that simple isn't it ?.

How about finishing the season. Whether its now, behind closed doors, or if not safe now, when it is actually safe.
Search Results
Top stories
View attachment 39502
Promotion and relegation WILL be decided by points per game if seasons cannot be finished, say EFL
Daily Mail·2 hours ago
Not sure if this has linked or not?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ded-points-game-seasons-finished-say-EFL.html

That would be fine by me if it's resumed under normal circumstances, or as close to as possible, with fans in the stadium etc.

Any talk of neutral grounds and no fans is utter bollocks. There is too much at stake.

That would be fine by me if it's resumed under normal circumstances, or as close to as possible, with fans in the stadium etc.

Any talk of neutral grounds and no fans is utter bollocks. There is too much at stake.
I have to say, I am totally over it now. I really don't care what they do or when they do it. It's all about the money. Sporting integrity? Bullshit. Improving the morale of the nation? Nah, not for me Jeff.

Cracking posts by HJvilla. It all makes so much sense that you might almost detect a bit of insider knowledge. Looking forward to reading more common sense HJ.

Normal circumstances are impossible. For a start, it's unpredictable what the impact of this interruption will have on any individual team. So it's a lottery as to what the results will be.

Who knows, we may come back, hit a groove against some good teams who are now misfiring, and collect another 20 points or so. So could Norwich. Or we could end the season on 25 points. We might play better with no fans. Or might not.

I still think it's better to void this season and start off next with a plan which caters for every eventuality. But finishing the season in some fashion is still better than some points calculation.

Well we were fairly poor under the old format - home and away games , fans in attendance, 3 subs, 45 mins each way. Maybe a change will make us better - neutral venues , 5 subs , 35 mins each way, blow up dolls in the stands . Bring it on.

Normal circumstances are impossible. For a start, it's unpredictable what the impact of this interruption will have on any individual team. So it's a lottery as to what the results will be.

Who knows, we may come back, hit a groove against some good teams who are now misfiring, and collect another 20 points or so. So could Norwich. Or we could end the season on 25 points. We might play better with no fans. Or might not.

I still think it's better to void this season and start off next with a plan which caters for every eventuality. But finishing the season in some fashion is still better than some points calculation.

I just think in neutral venues with no fans, those at the bottom will have no chance against the better teams. No home support etc. It takes a huge factor out of the game.

Then again, can't say that for certain either, as you say maybe the players will feel less pressure and perform to a higher level.

Who knows.

From the psyche aspect it's actually quite intriguing.

Top 6 without fans cheering on their antics - would players begin to hide because there's no one to play to, show off and be the big I am?

Bottom 6, no one criticising, would it lift them and remove the fear of cocking up so some confidence returns?

They are professionals, it shouldn't matter, they should be able to block the crowd out...but can they in reality?

An urgent and substantial Government bailout is needed for clubs in the EFL Leagues One and Two, otherwise, up to 10 clubs could go into administration within weeks.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...lubs-could-fold-without-government-bailout-mp

They have heard of the furlough scheme right? I realise that sounds harsher than I mean it.
Sad to read Mike. There must be a lot more support for these clubs surely, It seems they are in a mess anyway before all this ,Never thought in my lifetime i would see a club like Sunderland in such a state. Hard times if you drop down there.

Last edited:
From the psyche aspect it's actually quite intriguing.

Top 6 without fans cheering on their antics - would players begin to hide because there's no one to play to, show off and be the big I am?

Bottom 6, no one criticising, would it lift them and remove the fear of cocking up so some confidence returns?

They are professionals, it shouldn't matter, they should be able to block the crowd out...but can they in reality?

... and the eight teams in the middle, with not a lot to play for? Will they be *rs*d enough to put any effort in? Will they be more concerned about avoiding infection or injury?