Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 108 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Must admit all he did for me was convince me more that they don't give a monkeys about H&S and it's all about the £200m the clubs at the bottom will lose if relegated and the Liverpools 10's of millions in income. Nothing at all to do with concluding the league at all

Total world of their own and his comments about the Whole world is craving football confirmed how out of touch they are with the majority of fans

Didn't hear it. Was he wanting the season back on? You do have to wonder why, does it mean they know if the season is cancelled, we go down as they will use the 'on merit' system? If not, you'd want it null and void and to stay up if you were in power surely!?

Didn't hear it. Was he wanting the season back on? You do have to wonder why, does it mean they know if the season is cancelled, we go down as they will use the 'on merit' system? If not, you'd want it null and void and to stay up if you were in power surely!?

Yes he wanted it back so did all 20 clubs apparently but only when safe. The vibe, however, was money-driven not sport driven. He's very much against neutral venues as we have 6 games at home.

I have just read that Villa park fits the criteria for a neutral ground.

So if used , basically we play the rest of the season away from Villa park while our relegation rivals or games directly affecting our position play out at our ground.

Nurse!!!
Nurse !!!!

I'm not in disagreement with the point you're trying to make but my point is if football gets the green light from the authorities to go ahead and then the players refuse they would be breaching their contract and wouldn't get paid. So they'd play is what I'm saying. Perhaps some of the mega rich stars may just say fuck it I'm not playing I don't need the money (highly unlikely??)

I don't think they will give the green light if the players aren't happy.

I wouldn't be so cynical.

Anyway that's @Villan57 department.

My ex-boss once turned up at my house to ask me an opinion on a new business venture he was starting up "utilities Warehouse" or something. Basically selling Gas electric and TV packages.
Anyway as he was leaving I asked him why he wanted my opinion on it, he said because "you're the most cynical bastard I know " I said thanks, David. That was his name see

PS needless to say he didn't sell me one

I don't think they will give the green light if the players aren't happy.

Can the players have it both ways? They don't want a drop in salary, so if they also aren't happy - IF THE GOVERNMENT GUIDANCE SAYS IT IS DOABLE - can they also not play?

Not play, yes, take a salary cut though?

Some of those who haven't social distanced hopefully will keep their traps shut in this debate as well.

Can the players have it both ways? They don't want a drop in salary, so if they also aren't happy - IF THE GOVERNMENT GUIDANCE SAYS IT IS DOABLE - can they also not play?

Some of those who haven't social distanced hopefully will keep their traps shut in this debate as well.

Yup I can see the contradiction.

What would you do though ? put yourself in a players shoes? do you play or not ?

That's the thing though, from a legal liability angle, I've come around to players have a perfect right to refuse to not put themselves/families at risk until social distancing is abolished.

Clubs can do everything they want off the pitch about dressing rooms and staggered entry into stadiums, but if social distancing is still in place, that's Elf and Safety on the pitch.

I have no doubts plenty of players would be happy to return, but they'll be a good number who won't for good reasons.

So if you have a stripped down squad, you're then into the integrity of the competition chat.

Yup I can see the contradiction.

What would you do though ? put yourself in a players shoes? do you play or not ?

Fuck me, with my health record and amount of ops, no virus is having me! Also with my mental attitude, my fight and guts? I'd be in my kit and on the field, no doubt at all. UNLESS I was living with someone who was in the vulnerable group. Get up, get out, live. (At the moment, it is of course, get up, stay in, live).

To be fair, I have had the virus, so that is a factor as well !

It is different for different people though, can't expect players to have to stay away from family in their own home. That said, we are all goign to have to go back to work at some point soon and many have already been doing this, not just care and health workers, but builders, supermarket workers etc and no way is everyone 2m apart all the time, not from what I've witnessed

But then, I'd also have happily already have taken a pay cut as well, in order to help the club, if I was at a club that needed help.

As I've tried to say throughout this thread, despite the nonsense and misquoting, it is only doable IF - and the same for all industry - the leaders/experts/medics say it is time to ease restrictions.

It might be by June, or July, if not, fine, too late, season done.

Last edited:

Interesting. If there is government guidance that involves them staying away from their families I think that may be breach of their contracts. You can't force people to do that if it's not in a contract. Maybe it would need to wait until we are all allowed to play football? I guess the last sentence also includes the guy who designed the whole lock in thing.

the integrity of the competition

Integrity in football? In this league? At the prices they pay for players? The wages paid? The slightly 'odd' characters involved? The agents? The way the PL tell fans to fuck off? The tv deals?

Nah. That ship has long since sailed.

Interesting. If there is government guidance that involves them staying away from their families I think that may be breach of their contracts. You can't force people to do that if it's not in a contract. Maybe it would need to wait until we are all allowed to play football? I guess the last sentence also includes the guy who designed the whole lock in thing.

Yes, he'd be top of the list, as would the PM for not following his own advice. So yes to those ****s

And agree. You can't add unreasonable terms to a contract.

There would be a contradiction with the tramps like Ozil not being willing to take a cut on £300 000 (or was it £350k?) wages if they then weren't willing to play though, wouldn't there?

All along, my argument was if safe though. Up to the experts - God help us - to decide that.