Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 19 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Contracts and legals are the issue.

The season can be easily completed.

The players have just had the winter break (regardless of relative merits there).

They are clearly going to get at least a month off now, so whenever football can return - two week pre-season with training ground friendlies only (these days they remain fit anyway) - knock this season out.

Have another fortnight break as holiday, start new season - cancel the international guff/single leg domestic cups all the way through (gate favours the smaller club) and 2 games per week, to pivot the calendar back to eat away at the delay.

And we then just keep tweaking future seasons until we are back to normal.

To cancel / null and void a season would set a dangerous precedent, or has it been done before ? (WW1 / WW2) , this feels like WW3

Might feel like WW3 but that's the panic (whether understandable or not). As I type there continue to be greater risks in life than this - so even if there is precedent from WW1/2 (I honestly don't know), it hardly applies anyway.

But having said that - now putting in place some kind of precedent for such an unforeseen event would certainly make sense in football/sport and more importantly, wider life, how the Gov reacts, NHS response, school and economic stimulus etc.

This is going to happen again, we all know that, at least having some stricter/known guidelines to follow instantly rather than the 'make it up as we go along and hope' response should absolutely be put in place.

Contracts and legals are the issue.

The season can be easily completed.

The players have just had the winter break (regardless of relative merits there).

They are clearly going to get at least a month off now, so whenever football can return - two week pre-season with training ground friendlies only (these days they remain fit anyway) - knock this season out.

Have another fortnight break as holiday, start new season - cancel the international guff/single leg domestic cups all the way through (gate favours the smaller club) and 2 games per week, to pivot the calendar back to eat away at the delay.

And we then just keep tweaking future seasons until we are back to normal.

Oh ffs Mike . Why are you making it this simple.
Surely its easier to make a convoluted bigger league, hand trophies to teams that haven't won anything, rip up the promotion rule book and promote 2 instead of 3 . I mean after all the 3rd club who misses out probably won't be bothered about the 150 million swiped from under their nose . Could even just null and void 7 months of work .

Yep I cannot get my head around this simple concept of ....errrr....finishing the season ....

Yes, the big problem with this finishing the season idea is that we don't know when matches can resume. Contracts end at the end of June, add to that the notion of the governing bodies giving up their lucrative competitions becomes a non starter. Put it this way, if football is stopped until July, then the only logical thing to do is void this one season and start again.

Oh ffs Mike . Why are you making it this simple.
Surely its easier to make a convoluted bigger league, hand trophies to teams that haven't won anything, rip up the promotion rule book and promote 2 instead of 3 . I mean after all the 3rd club who misses out probably won't be bothered about the 150 million swiped from under their nose . Could even just null and void 7 months of work .

Yep I cannot get my head around this simple concept of ....errrr....finishing the season ....

I can give you an answer now....or when I've finished my cans.

Is there a preference as I appreciate everyone has a favoured length of post :Fingers:

Yes, the big problem with this finishing the season idea is that we don't know when matches can resume. Contracts end at the end of June, add to that the notion of the governing bodies giving up their lucrative competitions becomes a non starter. Put it this way, if football is stopped until July, then the only logical thing to do is void this one season and start again.

They have to compromise. Voiding causes more problems legally mate as I look at things.

Players are now physically getting time off as clubs have no choice - it's far easier to see which players accept a contract extension to make the season up in a shorter period than the delay experienced....and those that don't - showing that lack of humility....that'll go down well for the rest of their career if they shit on their current club and seek the move in circs like this.

Not least the fact in those situations I can see a good argument in Equity for clubs then suing them for the period they didn't perform (even allowing for the fact it wasn't their choice).

You apply reciprocity - they can't perform for 3 months - their deals extend by 3 months especially if wages are still paid in the interim.

So it could cost the premier league 750m if the fixtures aren't completed. I really hope the season can't be finished and sky go bust.

So it could cost the premier league 750m if the fixtures aren't completed. I really hope the season can't be finished and sky go bust.

It warms the cockles - but given fans no longer count, if that happens, in many ways you are kissing Villa goodbye mate. Would NSWE fund the shortfall - start from the beginning not knowing if there were more than 10 odd other teams to play - because if Sky go bust, that's at least 1/4 in the Prem, 2/4 in the Champ, 3/4 in L1 and dare I say all of L2.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the German idea ? Top 2 teams in lower leagues get promoted and NO relegations.means more teams in each league the following season which they can increase that season's relegations so their then back to normal.

They have to compromise. Voiding causes more problems legally mate as I look at things.

Players are now physically getting time off as clubs have no choice - it's far easier to see which players accept a contract extension to make the season up in a shorter period than the delay experienced....and those that don't - showing that lack of humility....that'll go down well for the rest of their career if they shit on their current club and seek the move in circs like this.

Not least the fact in those situations I can see a good argument in Equity for clubs then suing them for the period they didn't perform (even allowing for the fact it wasn't their choice).

You apply reciprocity - they can't perform for 3 months - their deals extend by 3 months especially if wages are still paid in the interim.
Well I doubt EUFA ware in the mood to compromise, I heard on Radio 5 that the Champions League brine in more than the Superbowl, around 16 billion over the last few years. 750 million is nothing. Void the season start again in September, simples.

yep you can - only logical thing to do really.
(unless you cancel next season of course - but then a restart of this season is effectively a new season but with baggage from the last)
No doubt our lot are keen to finish our domestic season for the money but then across the rest of Europe they'll be more interested in the Champs and Europa as there's more money in that than their domestic leagues.

anyway sweet fa happening for 8 weeks odd min - so June sometime maybe