Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 110 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Hadn't read about the 6 tests, but caught he was now clear after the last 2 tests.

Only posted to prove how wrong I was really, that players would be unlikely to be affected - compared to the rest of us.
Bundesliga had 10 positives out of circa 1600 initially, not seen more recently
English testing though may spike far higher I would assume

Given varying lockdowns and relevant stupidity in this country, we can easily double the Bundesliga figures in my mind for our own game I'd think.

Wonder how cast-iron players contracts really are. If it came to the crunch it may be possible for clubs to simply slash the wages of their players, on the grounds of being forced to to survive in exceptional circumstances. There would be huge fallout from that, but I suspect it's possible.

Wonder how cast-iron players contracts really are. If it came to the crunch it may be possible for clubs to simply slash the wages of their players, on the grounds of being forced to to survive in exceptional circumstances. There would be huge fallout from that, but I suspect it's possible.
Unless there's a provision in the contract for this I'd imagine there's no way a club can just slash wages, UK employment law prevents this I think.

The employer can ask the question and make the case. If people refuse then the employer can terminate contracts. Obviously this would not happen in the premier league as these players are significant assets. It will probably happen in the lower leagues though.

Unless there's a provision in the contract for this I'd imagine there's no way a club can just slash wages, UK employment law prevents this I think.

The employer can ask the question and make the case. If people refuse then the employer can terminate contracts. Obviously this would not happen in the premier league as these players are significant assets. It will probably happen in the lower leagues though.

Players don't have normal contracts, like PAYE employees or surely they'd be furloughed like millions of people are and those millions will lose their jobs once the Government stop paying them unless their companies want them back of course.
I used to work for JLR but as a contractor, I never actually worked for JLR I was on a 1-year contract with a one month notice. I would have been let go with a months pay now. Normal people are on one month to three months notice then you are on your bike no matter how safe you think you are
I'm not worth £30m on the transfer market which I think is the real reason top players haven't been laid off on 2500 a month

How much notice should we be paying to this threat of Premier League clubs voting to relegate the present bottom three if they refuse to agree to playing behind closed doors.? The idea seems to be that present league positions or a points per game formula would be agreed on to finish the season. If they carry out that threat then I can see every club above the relegation zone going for it. Could be just the press stirring the shit of course.

What's bugging me is that every single person in this country knows it's not safe to have 40,000 people in a stadium, it's never even been questioned. Why is nobody questioning this?

But they are coming up with all sorts of crazy ideas to get 22 players on a football pitch if I then say it's a waste of time it's obviously not safe.

I then get "well we have to explore all the possibilities"

Why are we not exploring the possibilities of people under say 45 going to games, sounds silly but why not many under that age are dying even if they get it.

It's all madness to me, as soon as football starts up you can forget lockdown and handwashing social distancing it will be a free for all and off we go again

How much notice should we be paying to this threat of Premier League clubs voting to relegate the present bottom three if they refuse to agree to playing behind closed doors.? The idea seems to be that present league positions or a points per game formula would be agreed on to finish the season. If they carry out that threat then I can see every club above the relegation zone going for it. Could be just the press stirring the shit of course.
None.

What's bugging me is that every single person in this country knows it's not safe to have 40,000 people in a stadium, it's never even been questioned. Why is nobody questioning this?

But they are coming up with all sorts of crazy ideas to get 22 players on a football pitch if I then say it's a waste of time it's obviously not safe.

I then get "well we have to explore all the possibilities"

Why are we not exploring the possibilities of people under say 45 going to games, sounds silly but why not many under that age are dying even if they get it.

It's all madness to me, as soon as football starts up you can forget lockdown and handwashing social distancing it will be a free for all and off we go again

Because

nasty mode on .... it is the blind leading the blind with our lot in charge .. nasty mode off.

Because

more fairly mode on.... it is a new virus, they are learning worldwide as they go along. They are now saying - saw it on Newsnight last night, not seen articles so can't link - that there is growing evidence that it is far harder to catch outdoors - (as I've touched on a few times already in this thread).

-

There will come a time when they look at easing back for mass gatherings, quite how is anyones guess. They have pretty much ignored all the lessons other countries were learning early doors, so will they learn the lessons from countries coming out of lockdown now?! Who knows!

They are saying now the club doctors have to convince the players that it is medically safe to play.

That will be an interesting conversation.

Convincing club doctors and medical staff that playing a full contact sport in the midst of pandemic is safe would appear to be one of the league's biggest issues, particularly if social distancing guidelines are still in place for the general public.

The full article is here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ing-Premier-Leagues-Project-Restart-plan.html

, so will they learn the lessons from countries coming out of lockdown now?! Who knows!

Let's hope they don't jump the gun, let's use Italy and Spain as the benchmark not the Germans as we are in similar death rates to those two, not Germany. We can't just use the best as a benchmark to how we are doing on this occasion. Perhaps when Spain and Italy bring back their football a couple of weeks later might be our time.
If we come out of lockdown now personally I think it would be far to soon

God i hate the cringe that is the name 'project restart'.

I didn't realise Alan Partridge was involved in the Premier league.

Everything has to have a name these days , makes it more acceptable, than project greed or project madness.

How about project reset where we really do restart on a level playing field and sort out football across the whole country

They are saying now the club doctors have to convince the players that it is medically safe to play.

That will be an interesting conversation.

Convincing club doctors and medical staff that playing a full contact sport in the midst of pandemic is safe would appear to be one of the league's biggest issues, particularly if social distancing guidelines are still in place for the general public.

The full article is here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ing-Premier-Leagues-Project-Restart-plan.html

UFC is back this weekend, in USA who really are shambolic over all this, are they not!? Now that IS a full contact sport and done indoors. It is behind closed doors, but still shocked it is back. But then, I guess if they are tested (not sure if they are being tested) and the test shows they don't have it then...........

UFC is back this weekend, in USA who really are shambolic over all this, are they not!? Now that IS a full contact sport and done indoors. It is behind closed doors, but still shocked it is back. But then, I guess if they are tested (not sure if they are being tested) and the test shows they don't have it then...........

.........they could still get it !!!!! :sick:

.........they could still get it !!!!! :sick:

If both fighters and the skeleton staff at the event all test negative, then that is probably the best they can do to mitigate. Going to the supermarket or chemist, for essential items, you can still get it after-all. They are just trying to lesson the chances. You go out for a run, quite rightly within guidelines, you could still get it, as you can't guarantee someone won't come close. But the chances are mitigated - and with it being outdoors (as above) it looks like it is even harder to catch it.

I guess a lot of things in the short to medium term are going to come down to personal preferences. Do you go back to life as normal as possible (note the as possible) and risk getting a virus that for the vast majority, is just that, a virus (with the obvious risk of passing it on to elderly relatives if there aren't enough tests to check you and to assure you you need to stay away) or do you stay in ad infinitum and risk the health problems that might cause?

I had it (not test confirmed but it was the symptoms) and self isolated off my own bat as any sensible person would. Easier for me isolation wise (ie no one else having to isolate in my household for 14 days to see if they also got it) as I live alone. A test would have made it even easier. Now they say they are ramping up the amount of tests available, maybe this will - as WHO and latterly Johnson said it would be - the key to trying to return to some normality and not having the whole economy go bust - which will lead to more loss of life.

And to make sure this pushes back to the subject at hand, that will include sport. But only when the Gov are sure they have the right amount of tests, it doesn't take from the front line workers in the NHS (and Care homes, not that the Gov has given a flying fuck about them sadly) and key workers. With the numbers they are now talking about producing, that won't rob from the most important people in this entire clusterfuck we are all living through.

If both fighters and the skeleton staff at the event all test negative, then that is probably the best they can do to mitigate. Going to the supermarket or chemist, for essential items, you can still get it after-all. They are just trying to lesson the chances. You go out for a run, quite rightly within guidelines, you could still get it, as you can't guarantee someone won't come close. But the chances are mitigated - and with it being outdoors (as above) it looks like it is even harder to catch it.

I guess a lot of things in the short to medium term are going to come down to personal preferences. Do you go back to life as normal as possible (note the as possible) and risk getting a virus that for the vast majority, is just that, a virus (with the obvious risk of passing it on to elderly relatives if there aren't enough tests to check you and to assure you you need to stay away) or do you stay in ad infinitum and risk the health problems that might cause?

I had it (not test confirmed but it was the symptoms) and self isolated off my own bat as any sensible person would. Easier for me isolation wise (ie no one else having to isolate in my household for 14 days to see if they also got it) as I live alone. A test would have made it even easier. Now they say they are ramping up the amount of tests available, maybe this will - as WHO and latterly Johnson said it would be - the key to trying to return to some normality and not having the whole economy go bust - which will lead to more loss of life.

And to make sure this pushes back to the subject at hand, that will include sport. But only when the Gov are sure they have the right amount of tests, it doesn't take from the front line workers in the NHS (and Care homes, not that the Gov has given a flying fuck about them sadly) and key workers. With the numbers they are now talking about producing, that won't rob from the most important people in this entire clusterfuck we are all living through.

What I was getting at and maybe I understand it wrongly , is that you can be asymptomatic , but still pass it on. Whether a test shows that up I don't know.

So relegate the current bottom 3, one of which has played a game less and promote who? Sandwell, Leeds who are only 5 points ahead of Fulham, who would get the 3rd promotion spot with no play off? If the season were to be played out we have as good a chance as any to stay up and the idea that a club that hasn't won the championship or finished the season 2nd or won a play off final could actually replace us is beyond ridiculous especially with what action was taken with the leagues below the conference. We fight tooth and nail for our place in the premier league and no way roll over and accept any kind of crap like what's being said by the daily mail.

What I was getting at and maybe I understand it wrongly , is that you can be asymptomatic , but still pass it on. Whether a test shows that up I don't know.

I can confirm, I also don't know!

Hope that helps.

Quick google, and thinking about it, this is what half of the talk of testing has been about to help stop the spread, it does work if asymptomatic

GPs and practice staff along with all residents and staff in care homes can now be tested for COVID-19 even if they are asymptomatic, after the government announced a further expansion of testing.

https://www.gponline.com/covid-19-t...gps-care-home-residents-staff/article/1681748

This one is interesting. It backs up what one expert said the other day. You can't keep saying you are 'following the science' as there is no 'the science', there are loads of different opinions and interpretations of scientific facts, and a lot of science based on supposition not fact.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52543692

I don't think I'm taking this off topic, (we have the virus thread in off topic for most of the talk) because this is looking at whether the healthy should have their restrictions lifted because

For the non-vulnerable population, coronavirus carries no more risk than a "nasty flu", says Prof Mark Woolhouse, an expert in infectious disease who led the research.

Under 44 years of age, over 300 have died. Many with underlying issues, but some not and that is the problem. Do we put life/industry/in this thread football totally on hold for a low risk? Do we for heart attacks (when the player died on the pitch, football wasn't stopped) or flu? But also, as this report says, some haven't died but have been very ill.

They finish: It is, he says, all about getting the balance of risk right ...

And THAT is the job I would not like. If players came down with the virus, with all due respect, so what? Many of us have had it, many more will have it. It isn't pleasant, but when I had real flu 10 odd years ago, that was far worse. BUT if a player then becomes seriously ill, it isn't so what anymore is it? And Paul McGrath forbid, if one died....

But as said, the balance of risk, you could die of other things, air pollution for example is killing 4.5m a year (and no one has been taking that seriously enough) so how long do things get put on hold? Lives will be lost if we end up with a ruined economy for sure.

Sorry, got no answers, just questions!