2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 69 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

Be very pleasantly surprised if we could afford Souttar. Had over 2 million turned down for him on deadline day and I’m guessing we’ve already splurged the Burn money on Windass and Garner. Unless Henry Cheng left his wallet on his old seat in the directors box I suspect we’ll go down the F/A route. Makes it easier to to handle all the loanees with a F/A able to be given short term permanent contract.

I suspect we’ll go down the F/A route. Makes it easier to to handle all the loanees with a F/A able to be given short term permanent contract.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Zakky, I took that as free agent. Maybe we could offer Hearts a similar deal to the one Brighton gave us with Burn. They keep him till January, so they have time to find a replacement. We have time for the takeover to be completed and more money becomes available.

It sounds like they don't have the cover to sell him right now, so why not just buy him for January. We have Dunkley, Cipre, Bruce and when fit Burn. People have already said James could fill in if necessary, so if we want him let's just agree the fee and have him already signed up before the window opens - like Keita at Liverpool

I never heard what the Soutter bid was, i was thinking it was more hundreds of thousands rather than multi millions, was it really 2m off the bat?

I would be suprised if they turned that down as when Jamie Walker was their star player they only asked for 1m off Rangers, when we wanted Callum Patterson they wanted 750k apparently (although his contract only had a year to run).

Looking on Transfermarkt they sold their best striker Sow for 1.7m a couple of years ago, and in the past 4 or 5 years they've only spent about 400k on transfer fees combined and raised in the region of 2.5m in sales in total. The fact Jack Hendry who was at the time the toast of the SPL only moved for 1.5m and McGuinn was considered the best attacking midfielder and he went to Villa for about 2.5 and it does on the face of it suggest that if we put 2m on the table it would be hard for Hearts to reject it. He's their player so they can ask for what they want but the finances of Scottish football probably mean Jamie Walker plus 2m, with the inevitable add ons, sell ons would be very good business for them. If we have 2m to spend then i would've thought the deal could be done.

In regards the need for an experienced free agent centre half: having witnessed the performance of shawcross and Williams on Wednesday I think we need to be very careful about who we go in for. Those two were shocking. Probably a difficult judgement for Cook to determine if we can away with the four we have until January.

I guess Walker will be off judging by that tweet. Personally I don't think he's particularly good and is difficult to see how he gets in the team.

I think Walkers has shown some promise but like you say he's just not going to get many chances unless we have a massive injury crisis. The lad will want to play and we wont want to be carrying wages for players who are going to be sitting in the stand every week.

As for an experienced centre half i think you are right experience means little if the player isn't up to it anymore - but considering the loan situation it will very possibly be a free agent. And if anyone is still free at this stage is most likely because other clubs have deemed them to be an too old. So i think any CB signing would end up an 'experienced' player by default.

But to be honest Dunkley and Kipre are finding their feet, Dan Burn is meant to be back in about a month, then we have Bruce as back up, plus James can play there and probably Callum Connolly too. So i don't think we are that desperate for a new CB if we don't find someone we like.

If the plan is to get Souttar long term and we have the cash to do it now then i can see the logic in doing that as a loan to buy even with our loan numbers. As it would give him time to settle without the pressure of having to go straight into the starting line up and perform. But overall i'm not sure unless we have an injury to someone before deadline day if we will bring anyone else in.

Nixon says we've got Gareth McAluery (former WBA, 38) and Matt Mills (previously at Barnsley, 32) in mind for emergency centre half cover if needed. Both frees and McAluery apparently already been in for a chat.

Suspect Burns progress and other injuries to back line will dictate if we move forward on this. As in theory another back up CB would only be needed if we had 3 CBs out at once.

Reports today saying Leeds, Boro, West Brom Stoke and Celtic want Nick Powell price mooted at 5million, ridiculous price

Reports today saying Leeds, Boro, West Brom Stoke and Celtic want Nick Powell price mooted at 5million, ridiculous price

As Blackburn have quoted Leicester £10m plus for Dack I would say that is an insult of a price!

Bradley Dack signed a new long term contract this summer. Nick Powell did not and has less than 12 months left to run on his. So it’s not a ridiculous price at all. He signs a new contract and his price trebles at least. Or we lose him for peanuts, simple as that.

Due to the loan situation if we sold Powell we would have issues replacing him. Hopefully Nick still wants to stay but i think not getting that contract in front of him is becoming more and more if an issue. We lost Burn cheaper than we'd have liked due to our delay in getting contract offer and we desperately cant keep waiting for the take over. I dont think waiting makes any sense if it can get it done now as whatever we end up paying him will be repaid in a higher sale price no matter who is the owner once he signs.

Bradley Dack signed a new long term contract this summer. Nick Powell did not and has less than 12 months left to run on his. So it’s not a ridiculous price at all. He signs a new contract and his price trebles at least. Or we lose him for peanuts, simple as that.

As long as he's our player we can ask whatever price we like, contracts mean bugger all these days. If anyone wants him now they can bloody well pay. If our new owners are as rich as people say it shouldent be a problem.

I’m becoming very uncomfortable with all these Nick rumours.....why are we not offering him a new contract to sign....surely the club realises his importance to the team and our success this season.......I can’t believe as it said somewhere we would accept 5 million! Did we learn nothing from the Yanic transfer last year? Money ISNOT everything and Nick is too important a player to lose so come on the powers that be, get this improved contract on the table NOW!

To be honest even if Powell wont sign id not sell. 5m is not enough to weaken our survival chances by losing our talisman. If we get a bit of luck Powell may even carry us into play off contention and with that give us a outside chance of promotion.

I'd turn down any bid and reassess in Jan. But no way id accept a bid now when we cant even replace him and injuries to Massey and Jacobs have weakened us.

But Whelan needs to on to the Chinese and make that contract offer Powell wants. I'm certain we've promised Powell that but lets get it locked down now.

The good thing is no prem clubs can come in for him at the moment, so i can imagine from Nicks point of view he would be much better served staying here for the time being and going to a Prem club in Jan or picking his club next summer on a free rather than jumping to a championship club now.