2017-2018 Season Reviews | Vital Football

2017-2018 Season Reviews

D

Departed

So.....let's hear what you think about the season as a whole. The good, the bad and the ugly, and the outrageously outstanding...Stamford Bridge anyone?

One note to kick off this thread: The only two teams to finish in the CL spots in all of the last 3 seasons are City and Spurs.

Was an achievement to get CL. I thought we would really struggle. I did think we would win a trophy though. Of course didn't happen.

Harry Kane gets player of the season. 41 goals in 48 apps is top notch. If not for injuries he would have had the golden boot.

Most improved player for me is Verts. He always needed that experienced CB next to him. Now he has become that experienced CB that youngsters need like Sanchez. He stepped up this season when we needed him.

Flop of the year. Easy, Llorente.

Goal of the season would probably go to Eriksen. Stamford Bridge.

The good: Overcoming the Wembley 'HooDoo' and proving that we can adapt and play on that bigger pitch and have such a great 'home' record as a result - It bodes well going into the new stadium, a transition that I thought would set us back a few years!

The bad: The draws against so-called lesser teams at the beginning of the season (Burnley, Swansea, West Brom) and losing to West Brom towards the end, they go down whilst taking 4 points off us ffs!

The ugly: Seeing Poch forcing some formations that didn't work such as playing Son at LWB! - Oh and watching the Newcastle 1st half

Most improved player: Verts

Signing of the season: Sanchez

Player of the season: Kane/Erkisen

Duff of the season: Aurier/Sisokko

Goal of the season: Wanyama v Liverpool

IMO essentially this season boils down to proving, much like Harry, we are not a one season wonder. It also proves that Pochettino is solid.

Consistent CL football is no mean feat in the PL. And as mentioned elsewhere, only two teams have qualified in all of the last three seasons for CL. Spurs and City.

The end of the season proves that we need more quality depth. We cannot have fatigue and injuries contributing to declining form in the all-important run in.

It also proves, once again, that we need to start well. A traditional problem for Spurs with their late dealings in the Transfer Window. The shortening of the window should help somewhat but the real issue is getting players in quickly so they have time to acclimate. Nothing new here to see.

I feel quite content with this season. There were some outstanding moments. Enough of them to ignore the failures. Rarely have I enjoyed a period of time so much as those games against United, Chelsea and Juventus all coincided. WHAT A BUZZ THAT WAS!

The feeling of going into EVERY game thinking you have a great chance of winning it is, well, hmmmm.....incredible. Don't take it for granted. The last game personified our mentality. Keep kicking us and we will get back up and fight....and eventually win.

Now we need to be invincible. Crushing. Dominating. Fearless. Courageous. Dazzling. Tough. For the entire season.

I can't wait for next season.

There are two different ways of looking at our season. I feel we exceeded our expectations when we started the season. We were worried about 38 away games,larger pitch, yet we secured top 4 and finished above Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. However, after effectively ridding ourselves of the Wembley hoodoo, and looking like world beaters after Real Madrid and scoring two comeback goals over the Old Lady, we fell short of everyones expectations. We got schooled by Manchester United and Juventus and crashed out of both cups. Our only “silverware” is Wenger’s coveted Top Four trophy.

We got schooled by Manchester United and Juventus and crashed out of both cups.

We finished the season a massive 23 points behind citeh, we have to find a way to reduce that deficit not only to be competitive against the best but also bring us closer to utd. We did get schooled in the SF and had no answer or anyone on the pitch capable of resting the initiative from them. We score the odd goal & assist but too much of our time outside those few mins is playing second fiddle to the best. Got to get rid of the attacking dross in our squad and bring in one maybe two class attackers who can help raise the bar.

High Top London team
Low letting the arse take 3 points off us
High beating Real Madrid
Low losing to Manure after going one up in semi final
High CL qualification
Low losing to West Sham in the league cup
High finishing above the bin dippers
Low Losing to Juventus after going one up