2012/13 New Season Scouting | Page 2 | Vital Football

2012/13 New Season Scouting

I heard a few weeks ago that he was going back to Turkey to be no.1 striker as the current no.1 striker at his parent club Trabzonspor is set to be sold for big money this summer. We haven't used Brozek yet so I don't see this as any sort of problem.

We need to strengthen in the striker department for next season though, especially to make a push on Europe! I would suggest we get two new strikers in. We will have young Keatings back as well, unless we choose to loan him out again for more experience but I fear what that would do for his overall chances of getting back into this Celtic team in the future.

My top two suggestions for strikers are Markus Rosenborg from Werder Bremen, 29 year old Swedish striker available on a free contract this summer as his deal is up. I think if we wanted him, we could get him and he would be really good for the team. A good experienced striker of great quality and would just add that experience on and off the pitch to help push this team forward.
The other is Kim Shin-Wook, 24 year old Korean international striker. Big tall, strong, quick, target striker. Exactly what we need to add to our current strikers.

I think everyone feels we need another CB in as well. We have Fojut joining this summer which seems to be a good signing as far as I can tell but nobody seems to much faith in Kelvin Wilson (including Lennon) and with both Loovens and Mjastorovic set to leave for nothing at the end of their contracts, it seems another CB would be a welcome addition. My two choices are quite versatile in that they can play CB, fullback or certainly at least one of them if not both can play DM as well. They are both young Israeli players, one plays for Standard Liege in Belgium and the other still plays in Israel.

Rami Gershon is 23 and plays in Blegium, is left footed and so has been used a lot at LB, however he is big enough, strong enough and good enough to play CB, which he has done on a number of occasions, including for the national team. The boy is fearless, ridiculously strong in the challenge, but importantly his challenges are very well timed! He is dominant in the air as well, has a very good jump and again is really strong in the air. He is also quick and has a good level of skill and ability to go past players. He seems to have been constantly growing in confidence as he has gained more first team experience with his loan spell last season and now being a main figure in the Standard Liege team this season.

Eitan Tibi is a 24 year old Israel international playing in Israel. He is right footed and has played a lot at RB, DM but is also very capable of playing CB as he has done on quite a few occasions. Very similar to Gershon with his pace, strength, tackling ability and very good in the air. Again he makes a lot of tackles, sliding tackles but he does it well in that he times them well and gets the ball! Tibi is the better footballer of the two and is good at picking the ball up and running with it. He wrestles players off the ball with his size and then takes off with the ball.

Both players are also very good passers of the ball for defenders and chip in with the goals from time to time as well. I think both would be very good additions to the squad and even better would be both of them. They are the sort of players Martin O'Neill would have liked in the days we played a 3-5-2/3-4-3 formation when it was Mjallby, Balde and Valgaeren at the back. These two could fill the left and right CB spots and play the position well with another in the middle of them.

Got another young player to add to the list. He is a Swedish midfielder, can play from the wide positions but is far more accomplished and comfortable playing CM or CAM. His name is Astrit Ajdarevic, he is 22 years old and around 6ft 1.

He was signed by Liverpool from a small Swedish team and spent 2 years in the Liverpool youth team before going out on loan to Leicester City for 6 months. He then left on a free transfer to Leicester that summer. He failed to make much of an impact at Leicester however and I think they had a change of manager which is never good for a young player on the fringes. After around 6 months or so, he was loaned out to Hereford United and by the end of the season, he was on the move again. This time he moved on a free transfer to Orebro SK in Sweden where he did make a big impression! After only another 6 months, he moved again on a free transfer to IFK in Sweden. He has been there since January 2011 and is considered one of the best, young, Swedish midfielders out there. Some have likened him to Patrik Burger, formerly of Liverpool, some have called him the next Xavi. Personally I don't see him being like either of them!

He isn't the quickest player ever, he's not all about pace! He is quite strong, he's technically very good and could be just what we are after. His passing is very good and can play that deeper lying midfield role well and really create the play but he is also incredibly good at finding spaces in between players, in between the midfield and defence. He's also got a pretty good shot on him, can header the ball quite well and has a decent shot from distance. He is left footed and really does try to be on his left foot as much as possible but when he needs to he can use his right foot.

The big thing about this guy, is that I think he would slot into our current squad, VERY easily. His personality seems to be a bit of a joker, likes to have a laugh, is also a bit of a leader on the pitch and I think has been captain of the Swedish U21 team. Have a look and see what you think.

[youtube=ulpNu4YxMo4&feature=relmfu]

Watched both vids plus another one on yatube

Another good find and it's easy to see why he impressed you, wee_od. No doubting the lad has talent and composure plus a wee bit of skill thrown in too. Pretty good vision and can pick a pass.
I'd temper that a wee bit by saying that he was hardly made to break sweat in these vids and was also being given a ridiculous amount of time on the ball.

I don't think he's anywhere near ready for our first team at the moment, but whether it would be worth our while bringing him in - providing we could get him cheaply enough - and taking a gamble on him, I'm not really sure.

What's your own thoughts, wee_od?

Agree about how much you see him really having to work and how much time he gets but that is something our real scouts would have to decide on. His time on the ball is sometimes made by himself as well with his ability to just drift off players....bad defending or just good play? I'm going to go with good play for now. He came through the Liverpool youth team and was perhaps a bit impatient to get into the first team and so left to go to Leicester too early or he may have made it there.

I think he's a Wanyama, not necessarily ready for us in terms of European football but could come in to the SPL and really surprise us....I feel quite sure he could do it in the SPL. I don't think he is far off, a bit of work and experience and toughening up a little (having played in England he is quite tough already) and just generally speed up his play.

The Israeli, Biton is surely still no.1 target from my scouting though. Hell, sign both of them, they can both play in wider positions as well as in CM and won't cost us much!

Raul has left Schalke, available on a free contract....34 year old, still managed 20 goals in the Bundesliga this season....cheeky attempt to sign him?? What you think?

So what else do we think we need? Been linked with a winger (this English born Scottish guy from Blackpool), another CB may be a good idea with Fojut suffering an injury although he should be fit for pre-season. At least one striker is necessary and depends if anyone else is sold!

So I found a top quality, international defender with great experience who's contract expires this summer. He has failed to play much because of injury this season. Hedwiges Maduro is a 27 year old Dutch international CB who is also very capable of playing DM. There aren't many videos of him but the one I have found shows he has very good skill and pace! He is a proper footballing CB! He has been at Valencia since January 2008 when he joined them from Ajax where he came through the academy. He has played 18 times for Holland but due to his lack of playing time this season, I'm not sure he will be going to the Euros.

There is no doubt he is a top class player and to go after a signing of his calibre would be a BIG statement of intent. He is exactly what we need, he has the experience, he is the right age, he is certainly good enough. The problem with trying to sign him is it depends who else tries to sign him, he will surely have a number of clubs chasing him, he will be on a good amount of money and he would no doubt be our top paid player....but you get what you pay for and if we can offload enough fringe players, I would splash out a bit of cash on him!

[youtube=bX4JrYCXKrI]

Another option at CB would be a player we were linked with before a season or two ago. Yohan Benalouane, 25 year old French born CB/LB or DM who has not played for Tunisia but has been included in the squads. He plays for Italian team AC Cesena which he joined from Saint-Etienne in the summer of 2010. That season he helped seal promotion to Serie-A but this season they have struggled for goals and as such are set to be relegated back to Serie-B. He has two years left on his contract and is valued on transfermarkt at around £1m.

[youtube=rSLHEBwqJzU]

In midfield, creative playmakers and wingers are what we require, I've already shown a few previously in this thread.

Two midfielders I have mentioned previously would be good additions, Viktor Elm isn't really a pacey winger although he can play LM and he's not the most creative playmaker type, but he can play such a variety of positions, is a massive guy and would be a great presence on the pitch plus he is a leader on the pitch as he is captain at SC Heerenveen and was at his club back in Sweden as well. His contract expires this summer and I think he would be a good addition, either playing up front as a target man, as a defensive midfielder, even a CB if required or as a LM or CM would be best. I believe he could add to the squad if one or two of our current midfielders were sold.

[youtube=xzq8n7nbHrs]

The other option I have mentioned before is Jose Carlos, almost 25 year old Spanish winger formerly of Valencia but now playing for AEK Athen. His contract is up this summer, he has great experience in top leagues, in top teams and in the latter stages of Champions League and Europa League competitions. Good experience to add to the squad and importantly he is the sort of player we need, a player with spark, creativity and pace.

[youtube=xOI26umuzts]

Got a few more options, one of which I may have mentioned before but can't remember.

Javier Aquino - 22 year old Mexican international winger playing for Cruz Azul in Mexico. 2 goals and 9 assists in 33 games this season. He's a quick, skillful winger who looks to take his man on and get down the line to get in a cross or if possible start cutting inside to pass it inside to set up a shot. He is being linked as a possible target for Man U and Tottenham but some suggest it could cost around £4m. I think that might be a bit more than we would have to pay should we go after him, the club would put it's price for a bigger club like Man U or Spurs but he would still cost us £2m+

[youtube=uOyIrNVfA6s]

Nestor Calderon, I think I may have spoken about him last year, he's a 23 year old Mexican winger. He's quick, skillful and has a good eye for goal. He is good at cutting in from his wing (normally the left) and getting himself in the box when the attack comes down the right. He is also a Mexican international. He was strongly linked with Sunderland in 2009 and spoke of his excitement at the prospect of the move, however it never materialised. He would cost at least £2m, probably closer to £3m.

[youtube=Enj7mk06igo]

I know, just a few to work through! haha! Elm would be a good option but only if we don't find someone better. He's not the perfect CM for us but if he were to be used as a utility man and perhaps even up front, he could be very useful!

The other guy, Jose Carlos I have definitely mentioned before. I think he would be a great signing for us!

Ha! that's because you've done such a good job and found so many!

Maduro sounds fairly promising but would he be up to the physical challenge? Surprised there's not more footage of him considering his age. Strange. Not a lot to go on and Glenda got caps for the same country :emoticon:10
Although it's mental when you consider that Braffheid is honking but played in a world cup final.

Benalouane, good and bad from him in that clip. Doesn't look to be the quickest or any great shakes in the air either. Biggest minus I took from it was that he looks far too casual for a CB!
Might be a bit on the harsh side with that assessment but from that clip he's nothing to write home about.

Cheers again mate and I'll have another look at the two midfielder's tomorrow

I think Maduro is quite a strong guy, he has actually been included in the preliminary Holland squad for the Euros.....but as a midfielder! He can play both positions but I'm now wondering if midfield is his preferred or best position.

I still think the biggest problem will be actually getting him to want to join and being able to offer him enough money!

Benalouane isn't great, I've found better defenders but there is something I like about him, he is a good defender on the ground and can play football and go on the attack which is useful. He could also be the best option in terms of who we can actually get. He has a couple of years on his contract, they are getting relegated so may need to offload a few players and he will want to play at a higher level....

Yeah, was just wondering what type of CB Maduro actually was given we don't have a lot to go on at the mo... As you say he won't be short of offers.

I still think we'll be trying to offload Kelvin Wilson during the summer so I can see us needing to bring in two new CB's and or maybe promoting one of Toshney or Fraser to compliment Muldini and Rogne.

Off to watch the midfielder's noo...

I liked big Elm first time around and, like you, his height played a part in that assessment. He can certainly spot a pass but a bit like Donati and Ki don't think he uses his height to his advantage and also lacks a bit of aggression in his play. He's 26 now so coming towards the end of the 'promising' stage and will be a bit more set in his ways and style of play.

Not entirely sure about him now. What's your own thoughts?

Jose Carlos - He's a cracker and looks to have bags of energy too.
Tricky and skilful with a good wee burst of speed. Some excellent delivery of crosses and corners in that clip. Scores from freekicks too and has a sweet left peg. Definitely like him! Also liked the big fella who was banging in his crosses and corners for fun!

Unfortunately there isn't a clip to judge Maduro on but I'm basing it on the fact he is clearly a top player having played for two of the biggest clubs in Europe and come through what is or was the best youth academy in the world! Don't think we can doubt that he is a top quality player anyway!

Yeah I know what you mean about Elm, he has gone off the boil a little since I first scouted him, not getting the goals he used to. That's partly down to what position he is used in though. Kind of agree about his height but he is more physical than Ki and Donati put together, he can use his height when required and if played in the right position where he can get himself in the box. That's why I think he could be a good option, if we are struggling to land a better target, like the young Norwegian Henriksen. He would be a good utility player as well really, bring him off the bench and play in an advanced position to get him in the box. His experience would be beneficial, he's reaching what should be the peak of his career now. He wouldn't be my first choice, but considering he would be a free, going to struggle to get better for free!

Jose Carlos I think would be GREAT addition! Experienced while still young, quick, skillful and has an eye for goal as well as a great cross. I think the big guy you refer to might be Frederic Kanoute.....no chance of signing him! haha!

Was having a look at the Croatia and Ukraine preliminary squads for Euro 2012 announced today to see if there were any possible players but the only ones who don't play for one of the big teams were too old! Although, I see no reason we couldn't sign a player from the likes of Dinamo Zagreb, what do you think? They used to be a massive European team but not so much anymore. Still leading the way in Croatia but think it's a bit like Scottish football, not much money about in Croatia.

I managed to stumble upon some more CBs who may be good options to buy this summer. Unfortunately one of the ones I found has already agreed a move to Olympiakos, shame as well because he was probably the best of the ones I found, not surprising he was snapped up!

So first up, Marko Simic - almost 25 year old Serbian international CB/RB. Plays for BATE Borisov in Belarus, not normally a country you would expect to find good quality players with experience of Europe, but BATE Borisov have been involved in the Champions League and Europa League the last few years and have actually done really well! He has only been at the club for two seasons, 2 games in the Europa league in his first seasons followed by 6 qualifiers (2 goals) and 6 group games in the Champions League this season.

He is strong, quick, fairly good in the air, has good positional sense, and has an eye for a pass as well as having a decent level of skill. Being able to play RB as well is a good indication of his footballing ability as well as being able to defend.

The footage in the video is mainly of him in Serbia before moving to BATE.

[youtube=ySHXjMibLuI&feature=fvsr]

The other option is Jorge Teixeira - almost 26 year old Portuguese CB. Quite similar in style to the other guy above. He has about 3 years experience of playing European football, started in Portugal at lower divisions before moving to Cyprus, from there he went to Maccabi Haifa and then on to FC Zurich where he currently plays.

[youtube=hz_7mBPZBmg&feature=related]

Both players would be available for about £1.5m - £2m.

id imagine we'd get the 25 year old a bit cheaper as he's in belarus. saw him play v man utd last yr or yr before. looks good, especially in the air. i say he's worth a buy and we could get him for below 2m

Don't know if you remember a young Polish keeper I mentioned earlier in the season. His name is Wojciech Pawlowski, he plays for Lechia Gdansk in Poland. He's a 19 year old keeper who was thrown into the first team this season after injury and generally not doing all that well. One GK played 1 game and conceded 1 goal, the other played 14 games, 5 clean sheets and conceded 13 goals in 9 games before injury. Gdansk still only finished 13 out of 16 teams, another couple of places and they would have been relegated, and the reason for them not getting relegated is partly down to Pawlowski. He played in 16 of their 30 league games, kept 7 clean sheets and conceded only 16 goals in 9 games. Considering he clearly didn't have a good performing team around him, I think that's pretty good! The top goalscorer for Gdansk only managed.....4, yes FOUR goals all season!!!

Anyway, he would be a good new back-up keeper for us, here's a video!

[youtube=xUoSiN2tGKk]

Mentioned this guy before but really think he would be worth signing. Bjorn Bergmann Sigurdarson, 21 year old Icelandic international playing in Norway for Lillestrom. He;s their standout player this season so far, 10 games into the season and they are 3rd from bottom despite Sigurdarson scoring 6 goals in 8 games. Everyone else has scored only 1 goal for Lillestrom. Including the 2 cup games, Sigurdarson has 10 goals in 10 games this season!

He's a big, strong, bustling CF. Isn't necessarily the player with the height and aerial ability we really need but he's still going to be a handful for any defence because despite his appearance, he is a big strong lad! He's also very mobile, and could play from a wider position or in behind the front striker. He has good passing ability, including long balls and good skill!

Might cost a few million though.

[youtube=TKd7tNlyTX4]

Catching up...start with the new CB's oor wee_od has found for us..

Simic, somewhat scarily, reminds me of Heid :emoticon:46

Can't quite put my finger on exactly why this should be the case and it is grossly unfair on Simic. For a start, there was a distinct absence of needless handballs and an almost criminal lack of own goals in that clip!

I also didn't require to brought back round by smelling salts after watching the clip - which had become a regular occurrence whilst watching Heid perform defensive duties with us.

Feck, I've just scared myself!

Simic displayed similar traits to Heid minus the calamities; seems comfortable on the ball and has a fair range of passing ability. Not the tallest of CB's, again like Heid in that respect. Unlike Heid he didn't seem rash in the challenge and seems a better reader of situations in and around the box - giving needless free kicks away in those areas is a killer.

Note to self - remember to turn the speakers down prior to watching these clips beacuse the music is ALWAYS crap and ALWAYS too effin loud......!!

Going to watch the other CB now...

Latest Celtic News