2012/13 New Season Scouting | Vital Football

2012/13 New Season Scouting

wee_od_88

Vital Football Hero
So....it's been a while but thought I would do this again as I found some rather good players recently.

We have won the league, will be giving other players a chance to show what they can do between now and the end of the season and our pre-season games will be picked with qualifying for the Champions League in mind. Lennon has said the squad will be trimmed and that he wants 2 or 3 "quality" players to help with the push for Champions League qualification and to do quite well in the group.

This then raises the question of which positions need strengthening and quality players from where? We know we can't compete in the money stakes with teams in England and other top European Leagues, so where will we look for these players?

There is of course Euro 2012 this summer as well, our scouts should be out in Poland and Ukraine to watch as many games as possible and identify any other good players who are perhaps under the radar of the top clubs.

There is one position which needs to be tied up very quickly this summer and that is the GK position. Fraser Forster is gaining admiring glances from clubs in England and could end up moving elsewhere this summer. We have a deal in place with Newcastle but I wouldn't put it past them to change the agreement of that deal in the hope for more money. If Forster does go anywhere else, wherever he goes, the club he goes to has to pay Celtic compensation.

A position which has been vacant for a while now at Celtic is in the striking department. While we have two excellent goal scorers in Stokes and Hooper, many of the Celtic support and Lennon himself agrees that we lack something else up front. Sometimes, when times are desperate or simply because of the way the opposition play, having a tall, strong CF who can find space in the box, back defenders up, header the ball or hold the ball up and lay it off is what is required and that is something Celtic are lacking. Samaras has tried to be that player but his problem is his love to run. Samaras is not that type of striker, to play him in such a way would be to play him almost out of position. He has turned a corner this season at Celtic but that has come from playing on the left wing, either as part of the midfield or as part of a 3 man attack. We need someone who's natural game is to be the pivot of which the attack is built. This type of striker may be a dying breed, or those who are like that demand a lot of money or are considered not good enough, but there are a few options out there.

Midfield has been a strong area for Celtic the past two seasons. Scott Brown's form goes up and down like a yo-yo at times, Wanyama has been a revelation this season (although his form has dipped of late), Ledley has been his usual consistent self, Kayal suffered an unfortunate injury but showed at times what he is capable of but also showing form and attitude he will hopefully leave in the treatment room, Forrest has been outstanding and unplayable at times, Commons has been short of fitness and form and Ki has had a bit of an up and down season as he continues to settle and be used in different ways by the manager, I believe Ki has many strings to his bow and once we figure out exactly what the best one is to fit in to this team, we will see a top class player! What is really lacking in this midfield however, is a real creative force, someone with individual skill, pace and most importantly, that ability to bring others into the game and create opportunities. Someone a bit like Nakamura at his peak but who can play in the pocket behind the strikers, a little like Maloney did at times and find space between the midfield and defence to open teams up. A back-up to Forrest would be a big advantage as well, someone who can play on either wing.

Defence is an area which at times has looked fragile this season, but for the most, we have looked very solid. Young Thomas Rogne has shown why he was signed and why he was so highly rated in Norway, Celtic have only lost two games of the thirteen he has started. Mulgrew has been Player of the Season in my opinion and it doesn't matter if he plays LB or CB, he's equally impressive in both positions. Loovens and Mjastorovic are both likely to leave with their contracts expiring, as will Cha and Mark Wilson as we have enough cover at RB now but Kelvin Wilson has struggled to really make much of an impact and with a highly rated Polish defender joining in the summer, he too could be on his way out. That leaves us slightly weak of reinforcements at CB and an experienced and quality CB would be a good addition to the squad.

Suggestions and videos to follow!

To sum up Wee Od's tolstoy impersonation, we need a big striker to lead the line, a CB to pair with Rogne and a keeper. I wouldn't mind a truly creative midfieidler in the middle of the park. Brown, Kayal and Wanyama are really more defensive minded. Ledley is solid but not super creative. Ki hasn't shown it consistently. If we got an affordable version of Wesley Sneijder, we could sell our overstock of central mids.

I read somewhere today that the team is looking at Gordon again for keeper. It could happen as he is healthy but has fallen out of favor. We have looked at so many keepers that it must be known that Forster will be heading out.

I would say Brown is quite like Ledley welch. They are not defensive minded players but not all out attack either obviously. Brown is more dangerous when he gets the ball and runs with it, we've said that all along. Ledley is better at getting into the box to join the attack and getting other people into the game. Ki can be creative but it depends what position he plays, how he is told to play and lets be honest, when trying to be creative it depends on the movement of those around you. Like I say, Ki can do that style of game, but we just haven't seen it enough yet.

I'm not sure all the stories mean Forster won't come, I just think we are being very cautious so if it doesn't happen, we have something ready to move on!

Hope you like some of the players I've found by the way......I think there are some crackers. Some are quite young but already have international experience and obvious talent and some are a little older.

Hiroshi Kiyotake - CAM, CM, RW/LW - 22 year old, Japanese international.

Let me start off by saying I know some people are sceptical about Japanese and Korean players being big enough and strong enough for us but here is the proof - Messi and where did Japan and Korea get to in the last World Cup, a lot further than anyone thought because their technical ability is so good!

So, he's a young Japanese international, can play in behind the strikers, in midfield or out in the wide areas. He has two good feet, good technical ability, an eye for goal and an even better eye for a pass. Currently plays for Cerezo Osaka in the J-League and is valued at around £1.5m. I'll let the video do the rest of the talking!

[youtube=p8hk383Ub88]

Next is another Japanese player.....what can I say, they're good quality players with the right sort of attributes for this position. 24 year old Japanese international CM/CAM who can also play out in wider areas. Technically gifted, a sweet left foot but good with both, a good eye for goal and a good passer. To be honest, he reminds me of Nakamura, that can't be a bad thing, can it? Anyone else see it?? What do you think?

[youtube=cNHz0pq52iI]

The first dude should claim for a disability allowance 'cause he hasn't got a left foot! He was throwing more fuckin shapes than a mime artist to favour his right!

The other fella looks like he wants to be a Beckham rather than a Naka, imo, wee_od. No doubt he's the better of the two and another good find from you. Would he be up to the physical challenges of playing CM for us, though? I'm not so sure and it's difficult to tell whether his reaction and thinking time would be suited to the pace of our game. Would he keep coming back for more after being clattered for the entire 90mins by the midfield cluggers on the sphell?

Not sure tbh, but would be interested to hear what you and the others think, wee_od

Fair points Tic, I have a feeling this next one will be more what you are looking for though!

I have to be honest and say that clearly the info on these two is not up to my usual standard, partly because it's very difficult to find out much about them, partly because I just couldn't be bothered with a long essay on each one and thought I would let the videos do the talking.

The first guy doesn't have much of a left foot for shooting, but I think he can use it effectively when dribbling with the ball. I would suggest he has the physicality to hold his own in the SPL, the second guy I'm not so sure but that is something our scouts would have to decide. Kiyotake certainly has an eye for a pass though and despite his right footedness, I think he could cut it here. Kashawagi I don't see so much as a CM but more of a CAM, really playing in behind the strikers and I have to disagree about the Beckham likeness. Maybe not so much like Naka, I just thought his technique was similar......

The reaction and thinking time is something they would probably have to adapt but again remember my point about the World Cup, they are good enough to get to the latter stages of the World Cup, can't be that bad, can it? More Japanese players are coming to Europe, one of the best is currently playing in Germany for Borussia Dortmund. Sometimes it may take a bit of adapting but I think they are more capable of doing it now than ever before. Koki Mizuno never quite managed it, Naka played in Europe before he came here so he managed fine. I suppose that is the problem though, these two wouldn't be able to quite step right into the team but quite honestly, finding anyone that could step straight in is next to impossible!

The next guy is the youngest of the 4 I found, which also means he is more likely more of a project than the rest. He is only 20 years old but has already made 4 appearances for the full Israel international team, 14 for the U21s and 15 for the U19s. He has also been captain of the U19 or U21 squads. 85 games for his club in Israel in the past three seasons. Transfermarkt.co.uk has him as a defensive midfielder but the video of him doesn't show much defending. However, I like his play and I think we could turn him into something pretty damn good! Imscouting has him as a CM who can play RM, DM or even CB. He's a big lanky lad (about 6 ft 3) and despite his skinny appearance, seems to be quite strong and physical, he's quick, really good on the ball and has good skill.....just that natural ability to breeze past players.

See what you think, certainly looks like a top player of the future imo!

[youtube=yruJz1WoNLg]

Yer back to yer best with Biton Nir, wee_od. :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:14

I rarely go overboard on judging potential Celtic players via youtube vids - the last one who struck me as a real talent in the making was Beram Kyal, and this lad has had the same affect.

The lad just has so much going for him; tall, tough, good physical presence, skill allied to a good turn of pace and great awareness and vision, too. But what really impressed me most was the consistency and accuracy of this lads passing.

Broonie, Kayal and Vic all bring lots of ability to the table but, the one thing they all lack is the ability to pass the ball - even over very short distances - with any degree of accuracy or consistency.

Really hope our scouts are aware of this lad!

Glad you like him Tic! I certainly think he's a star in the making! The other quality I think he has that only really James Forrest and Sammy in the team have is the ability to go from one end of the pitch to the other, with the ball! His ability to run with the ball, at pace, control it and take it past players is brilliant! Thats what really makes him in my opinion! I think he could even be deployed as a striker, he's one of those all-round players! The two websites I use to get info on players both have him as a CM or DM who can play RM or CAM or even CB......I'm wondering if there is a position this boy couldn't play if he put his mind to it?

I do think he requires a bit of work though! I would beef him up a little, while he shows good strength already, just a bit extra muscle would really help him become more of a target and help him hold up the ball even better. I think we would be a perfect club for him to progress at though. I think we could certainly take him to the next level!

He's not actually the CM I set out to find, I was looking for that small, tricky little Moravcik type but I found this boy and had to include him because I really think he has the makings of a brilliant player!

I'll post the final one I found so far on tomorrow. He's Korean, about 24 I think and to me, he is very like Park at Man U. Technically good, full of pace and energy and can basically play anywhere from the midfield to a makeshift striker or just out wide of the striker/s. Again, not quite what I set out to find but I like the look of him.

The other problem I forgot to mention about the two Japanese lads and the Korean is that after all the problems with Ki and Cha going out to Korea this season for international duty, even when not fit, Lenny is not likely to go fishing in that market. Which I think he even said was a bit of a shame because it is a very good market to get into.

he looks decent but id wait a couple of years, i heard this lad liam kelly isnt a bad central midfielder, never gives the ball away, plays the scott parker role; hes a tim and is up and coming, worth a look. i've heard he does a decent loan report when he isnt studying for exams and moving house lol

afcbliamk - 13/4/2012 23:07

he looks decent but id wait a couple of years, i heard this lad liam kelly isnt a bad central midfielder, never gives the ball away, plays the scott parker role; hes a tim and is up and coming, worth a look. i've heard he does a decent loan report when he isnt studying for exams and moving house lol

:emoticon:01 :emoticon:19

Send a highlights vid to wee_od...

What about Semir Stilic Tic? His contract is up this summer and we've been linked with him before....he has good experience, is a bit of a leader on the pitch (can't remember if he is captain or not but I think he is), a game changer and has good individual skill as well as a good eye for goal.

I've been bored today so spent the day searching for more strikers, wingers and midfielders and even a couple of defenders.....only found one player I think might be worth signing....well only one I haven't mentioned before! haha!

Must admit that I haven't heard any reports of Stilic since the initial link. I do recall that his form hit the skids almost as soon as we showed an interest.

He had good potential at the time but whether he's lived up to it since is the thing.

There were questions over his fitness levels as well was there not? His form did dip but I watched him play for Lech Poznan in the Europa League last season and he was good! Think they were playing an English team, Man City I believe and fairly took the piss out of them! haha! Stilic was key to that as well. Nice passes, flicks and was just that playmaker in midfield....every attack went through him!

His stats this season show 25 appearances, 2 goals and 7 assists. He has certainly had better seasons when it comes to getting goals, however Poznan are not having a good season in general this year. Down in 7th but have two games in hand which could potentially take them to joint 4th.....but considering this season is the first time in a while that they haven't at least been in Europe, last season and again this season is not going so well for them!

[youtube=MpeW6AsLeqY]

Bit-Garam Yoon - 21 year old Korean international midfielder. A bit of a cross between Ji-Sung Park of Man U and our own Ki. Despite only being 21, he has already made 13 appearances for Korea (2 goals) and 12 for the U23s (3 goals).

He can play CM, CAM or on either wing. Has two pretty good feet but is predominantly right footed. Has pace, decent strength although you don't see too much of it in the video, his passing is very good as you would almost expect from a Korean international these days, he has a fairly good eye for goal and is very good from set-pieces (just watch for the bend he gets on his free-kicks, unreal!).

One of the things missing from Ki's game is probably his pace and mobility, he can be quick when he gets going but his overall movement over the pitch isn't quick, his acceleration is what is lacking more than anything else. Sometimes just a bit too slow. That is where Yoon is better, he is quick and his acceleration is better and generally moves about the pitch more than Ki will.

I really like Yoon but if I'm honest, I can't see us signing him. He would be a good addition to the squad though, especially with his versatility and being able to play on the wings as well. See what you think!

[youtube=jrksrrZcS0w]

Cheers, wee_od. Appreciated.

Yup, there were some concerns over his general level of fitness and his apparent lack of stamina.

He seems to have bulked up a bit since we last saw him although his stats are nothing to write home about!

Last season he played (including international games) 52 games, scored 9 goals and got 11 assists (it may be more than this but these are the stats I have to go on). Of those 52, he started 40 and of those he only finished 21 of them.....so he is subbed fairly regularly. For a full season, including Europe....I don't think he has the stamina to cut it! However....that being said, we are a big squad and so that may not matter too much anymore.....

oops didn't see your last post...

Just about to get stuck into an Indian and the wine is going down a treat anaw...so I'll leave your latest until tomorrow :emoticon:57

Think we posted them around the same time! No rush anyway Tic, enjoy your meal and the wine! Got another one to post tomorrow! Haha! Going to do a run-down of who else I think we should sign, players I've posted about before rather than new players. Will be interested to see who we actually sign this summer though, I'm not coming up with too many in our price range.....

Latest Celtic News