20/21 Match thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United - PL | Vital Football

20/21 Match thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United - PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Departed

Hmmmmm.

Win because it's what we do, lose a gimme and win the unliikely.

Ive voted a loss in the hope we win (perverse thinking) They are without Rashford and Martial for this i think

Hmmmmm.

Win because it's what we do, lose a gimme and win the unliikely.
It seems quite some time since we won the unlikely. Man City at home is the last one I can remember. Unless we are now counting the likes of Villa, Burnley...... Marine.... as the unlikely.

It seems quite some time since we won the unlikely. Man City at home is the last one I can remember. Unless we are now counting the likes of Villa, Burnley...... Marine.... as the unlikely.

Which makes it even more unlikely.

It pains me to predict a loss. After all, this thread is not about what we hope happens, it's about what we believe will happen.

The toxic atmosphere in the camp from Jose continuing to throw everyone under the bus but himself, can only end in tears.

Jose will once again be out witted by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, a new up and coming coach with no tickets on himself whatsoever.

I do however put it to every player that pulls on the Lilly White to give 100% for every second of the game. This should neutralize the Jose factor, and give us fans something we are all overdue to see.....a good honest entertaining match.

This is one of the fixtures that made me a Yid in the 70's. Glenn Hoddles volley. It never gets old.

It pains me to predict a loss. After all, this thread is not about what we hope happens, it's about what we believe will happen.

The toxic atmosphere in the camp from Jose continuing to throw everyone under the bus but himself, can only end in tears.

Jose will once again be out witted by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, a new up and coming coach with no tickets on himself whatsoever.

I do however put it to every player that pulls on the Lilly White to give 100% for every second of the game. This should neutralize the Jose factor, and give us fans something we are all overdue to see.....a good honest entertaining match.

This is one of the fixtures that made me a Yid in the 70's. Glenn Hoddles volley. It never gets old.

How sweet is was? Thanks Hod.

I had this as a loss on the run in but we have to win all of our remaining matches now after the arse and toon games .

How should we line up for this.
Sit back or have a strong attacking side and go for it.?
Jose might try and come up with a clever compromise but that complicates things.

If all available I would go:

Hugo. Tang.Toby. Rodon. Reggie. Ndom. Holj. Gio. Bale. Son. Kane.

Subs: Hart. Davies. Dele. Luvpcas. Lamela. Gunn

Imo we have to attack. We need players with a first touch. We need players that can see and make a pass....that is why I have gone with Bale to start....need to attack attack attack

Jose will pin us back for this one as he knows they have the better CM and very quick players who run off the shoulders. I think we'll see 3 at the back with Sanchez, Dier and Rodon. He will hope for either Son or Lucas to grab a goal on a counter attack.

We will continuously sit too deep because there is nowhere to play out to and they will either hit us with a long range shot or they will con the ref and VAR with a soft pen that will ultimately make one of our defenders look sloppy. Jose will make a change or 2 at half time, perhaps removing a CB for Lamela or Lo Celso and will think that, by some miracle, will make up for the fact that there is zero game plan for how to play through our midfield as the spaces between the lines are always too big. We will concede a goal fairly early on in the second half when we are trying to get forward. Heads will then drop, Kane will start jogging around and stop pressing and we'll see someone like Lucas running around trying to win the ball or doing mazey runs forward to try and pick up the team. Jose will then sub Lucas for Sissoko in a late attempt at 'trying to win the midfield' but we will then concede again about 2-5mins after that sub because Sissoko stopped tracking a run or left a defender with nobody to pass to because he was hiding behind an opposition attacker.

Post match we hear the standard excuses from the player we wheel out that we weren't good enough and we need to work harder but then Mourinho comes out and starts insinuating that he has no idea why the players aren't following his instructions but throws in a comment that he is somehow to blame too dispite just saying the opposite. He will also ramble on for about 3 minutes about how incredible it is that Man Utd get penalties every week but will say something dripping in sarcasm like "but the referees have a hard job and so I can't say anything else but they have a really hard job don't they."

:detective:

Jose will pin us back for this one as he knows they have the better CM and very quick players who run off the shoulders. I think we'll see 3 at the back with Sanchez, Dier and Rodon. He will hope for either Son or Lucas to grab a goal on a counter attack.

We will continuously sit too deep because there is nowhere to play out to and they will either hit us with a long range shot or they will con the ref and VAR with a soft pen that will ultimately make one of our defenders look sloppy. Jose will make a change or 2 at half time, perhaps removing a CB for Lamela or Lo Celso and will think that, by some miracle, will make up for the fact that there is zero game plan for how to play through our midfield as the spaces between the lines are always too big. We will concede a goal fairly early on in the second half when we are trying to get forward. Heads will then drop, Kane will start jogging around and stop pressing and we'll see someone like Lucas running around trying to win the ball or doing mazey runs forward to try and pick up the team. Jose will then sub Lucas for Sissoko in a late attempt at 'trying to win the midfield' but we will then concede again about 2-5mins after that sub because Sissoko stopped tracking a run or left a defender with nobody to pass to because he was hiding behind an opposition attacker.

Post match we hear the standard excuses from the player we wheel out that we weren't good enough and we need to work harder but then Mourinho comes out and starts insinuating that he has no idea why the players aren't following his instructions but throws in a comment that he is somehow to blame too dispite just saying the opposite. He will also ramble on for about 3 minutes about how incredible it is that Man Utd get penalties every week but will say something dripping in sarcasm like "but the referees have a hard job and so I can't say anything else but they have a really hard job don't they."

:detective:
I can’t disagree with any of that Matic , I’m not going to even watch the game now !
It’s like when someone tells you the storyline and ending of a film you have been looking forward to seeing . !!!!!!
:rofl:

I really hope we show up for this one , we HAVE to get at them , sitting back , which we can’t do , and hoping to get them on the break is ridiculous. It is so easy to defend against when a team has quality players .
We need Lucas with a positive head on , and Son . Even Vinnie or Bale .
Gio and Ndom . If not Ndom , then Dele ,

we need to put them under pressure .

The sub-plot to this game is the Toby situation. Will he be absent from the squad again, sitting on the bench or pulling the shirt on?

Regardless of the Toby stuff, Jose's big call is at centre half anyway.

I'd still like to see Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Gio and Dele working as a four. That's how we transform this team. Despite his clear talents, I still have some reservations about Ndombele getting up for these big games.

The sub-plot to this game is the Toby situation. Will he be absent from the squad again, sitting on the bench or pulling the shirt on?

I'd still like to see Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Gio and Dele working as a four. That's how we transform this team. Despite his clear talents, I still have some reservations about Ndombele getting up for these big games.

Ndombele really is an enigma. He has been from when he signed .
We had all the stories about his weight , and fitness ....... I don’t think he has come to terms with anything at all yet .
Everything seems to be an effort with him.

We do seem to pick the strange ones !

I hope Sanchez keeps his place.

He had a stinker, no doubt, last week. But in the weeks prior to the international break he was the highest scoring defender on VS ratings on quite a few occasions. He was definitely improving.

We've seen too many players dropped for making a single mistake or having a bad game when prior to that they were playing well. It destroys confidence and breeds a fear of making a mistake.

I hope Sanchez keeps his place.

He had a stinker, no doubt, last week. But in the weeks prior to the international break he was the highest scoring defender on VS ratings on quite a few occasions. He was definitely improving.

We've seen too many players dropped for making a single mistake or having a bad game when prior to that they were playing well. It destroys confidence and breeds a fear of making a mistake.
Gary am with you there regards Sanchez, as I have said numerous times, I believe this "parking the bus, keep what you got, inviting pressure" is the whole reason why our defenders go good, bad then good again, the whole scenario, effs up there confidence, afraid to make mistakes, so panicking, rush every thing thus whole sale mistakes, reduce the pressure on them and watch the difference.