20/21 Match thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC - PL | Page 17 | Vital Football

20/21 Match thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC - PL

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Harry Kane given stark reminder of Spurs flaws in defensive horror show loss to Aston Villa

TELEMMGLPICT000259081806_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq4k9pB6mVv575RZMUuuHUNrVkYseF4uUk0Q63woGq3tg.jpeg
Villa celebrate a fine away win in front of wantaway Kane Credit: REUTERS

19 May 2021 • 10:00pm

Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 2 Aston Villa
19/05/2021 18:00
Referee: Craig Pawson|Venue: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
  • Steven Bergwijn8
  • Sergio Reguilón20
  • Ollie Watkins39

• Spurs booed off by returning fans after Villa complete comeback win
  • Harry Kane subdued in first match since reports he wants to leave club
  • Sergio Reguilon scores embarrassing own goal as Spurs' European hopes dented
If Tottenham Hotspur hoped to put in the kind of stirring performance that might persuade Harry Kane that his future still lies with them then this was not it.
This was a limp, disorganised, defensively shambolic capitulation against an impressive Aston Villa which ended in a cacophony of boos – the acoustics in this new stadium are something - angry fans protesting and Kane appearing to say his goodbyes as he solemnly walked around the pitch on his own at the final whistle.
The chaotic defeat leaves Tottenham, who face Champions League-chasing Leicester City away on the final day, in danger of not even qualifying for the new Europa Conference League next season and this is not the kind of trajectory that will keep one of the world’s best strikers happy.
Amid all the anger focused on Daniel Levy maybe the Spurs chairman should note that there was not a murmur directed at Kane – a man who wants to leave despite having three years left on his contract.
A large number of the 10,000 fans allowed back into the stadium themselves furiously refused to depart afterwards demanding the players come back out for a ‘lap of appreciation’ and ignoring the public address pleas for them to leave. Eventually the players did come back to try and appease them but it was all very uncomfortable. Even the way that was handled was yet another error from Spurs. It was in keeping with what had gone on before it and how this dismal campaign has unfolded.
It took only a minute into the game for the fans to sing “Harry Kane, he’s one of our own” and although there was another refrain of that later on it was replaced by anger and frustration. “We want Levy out,” was chanted despite Levy writing something of a mea culpa in the Spurs programme, admitting the club had lost its way, to try and appease the fans.
Maybe that, too, was an appeal to Kane but how can he look back on this game and on this season and on this managerless club and believe it is where his career will be fulfilled?
A bit like the campaign, the game had begun brightly with Steven Bergwijn, in his first start since February, scoring a determined goal after Sergio Reguilon intercepted a clearance with Marvelous Nakamba’s poor control allowing the forward to steal in. Bergwijn held off John McGinn and resisted Nakamba before striking a fierce rising shot into the top corner of the net.
Then it all fell apart for Spurs. Defensively they were shocking: Eric Dier, Japhet Tanganga and, in particular, Reguilon who was heavily involved in both of Villa’s goals as the visitors turned it around before half-time. For them Jack Grealish was back in the starting line-up and there was a lift although Ollie Watkins was their outstanding player as he gleefully capitalised on the torpor.
McGinn shook off his earlier error and hounded his opponents and when Grealish eventually went off, with strapping and ice on his leg as a precaution, the game was won and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, who was marking him, had been run ragged.
“There have been a few questions thrown because it has been an inconsistent second half of the season but we have been missing our best player, Jack Grealish,” Villa manager Dean Smith later. “But I believe our first XI can go and compete with anyone.”
The same cannot be said of Spurs at present. They were fortunate not to concede a penalty when Hugo Lloris needlessly slid into Watkins but the goalkeeper was beaten in the most extraordinary way. The cross from Nakamba was routine and Reguilon should have volleyed clear from just inside his own area. Instead, under no pressure, he shanked it high in the opposite direction. A stunned Lloris got a hand to it but that was not enough and Villa were level.

TELEMMGLPICT000259069446_2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqp9c5WVj0Jr0gvyuux5WeKI-QD44-voN49g7o0Fjx2T4.jpeg

Dier hauled a distraught Reguilon up by his shirt but probably wished he had left him on the turf. The left-back messed up again as he twice messily tried to clear with the second effort rebounding off Bertrand Traore and into Watkins’ path. Dier was caught wrong-footed with Watkins easily holding him off and firing his shot low through Lloris’ legs.
Spurs were slow, lacking aggression and impetus and that was highlighted as first Harry Winks was dispossessed by McGinn before Anwar El Ghazi miscued horribly wide and then Dier lost the ball, again to the tireless McGinn, with Traore picking out Watkins who was denied by Lloris.
Spurs briefly rallied with Emiliano Martinez saving well from Bergwijn on two occasions and then, later on, from Kane’s powerful, deflected near post shot. The crowd demanded Gareth Bale and eventually he did come on but the chances were Villa’s with Traore dangerous but wasteful and Watkins blocked.
Spurs had no response. They were spent. Even six minutes of injury time meant nothing. Instead it was Villa who went close with substitute Carney Chukwuemeka striking the post with a low shot from the area’s edge. The 17 year-old, one of Villa’s own, was lively and has a bright future at the club. Kane is hoping his own future is not at Spurs.

Tottenham players told to conduct second lap of appreciation amid fractious atmosphere after Aston Villa loss
VIEW COMMENTS

newFile-3.jpg
Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty I
By
Dan Kilpatrick
@Dan_KP
8 hours ago

Tottenham’s players were told to leave the dressing to conduct a second lap of appreciation after some supporters refused to leave the stadium after the 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa.
In bizarre scenes, the squad returned to the pitch around 40 minutes after full-time as many of the 10,000 returning supporters expressed frustration at the club’s chairman Daniel Levy and ticket prices, long after the final whistle.
It is understood the players’ lap of honour was supposed to take place immediately after the final whistle but many fans seemed to think it had not yet happened at all and the players were asked to re-emerge.

Only Harry Kane – who applauded each corner of the stadium alone in what could be his last home match for Spurs – and Dele Alli, Heung-min Son, Gareth Bale and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg had initially stayed out at full-time.

Before the players came back out, the stadium tannoy and stewards appeared to encourage fans to leave but many still stayed put and there was a scuffle between some supporters and security staff in the South Stand.
Some angry supporters chanted “We want Levy out” and “We want our Tottenham back” at Levy, and “Sixty-quid you’re having a laugh” and “We want our money back” in reference to the blanket price of tickets for the match.
There were few fans remaining when the players re-emerged but the atmosphere improved, with supporters chanting for Kane and Bale.
Spurs went down to a Sergio Reguilon own goal and Ollie Watkins’ strike after Steven Bergwijn had opened the scoring.
Asked about fan unrest, interim head-coach Ryan Mason said: "We've just lost a game of football. It's an emotional game.
“Our fans care. I care, so I've no problem with fans being disappointed. They've come here to support us and they wanted us to win.

“"We didn't do that. I feel very disappointed that we didn't do that. So they're emotional.
“There's nothing wrong with that. That's normal in this game. It shows they care."

That bunkum from Mason states it all...he dont give a dam....'we just lost a game of football' ...he is passionless and will not make it as a manager. Most of us would be screaming and having tantrums directed at our poor excuse of a team from the touchline at those performances....outrageous lack of leadership and emotion.

The club hit the lowest point I can remember last night, both on and off the pitch.

Once we gifted them the equalizer, let alone the second, you could just see the energy and effort drain from everyone.

We tried, but heads dropped and legs suddenly looked like they were made of tree trunks.

Our left side was almost non-existent for most of the match. Son has totally switched off all match and looked like he couldn't run past a bus stop and Reggie was I'm afraid to say confirming everything about him I've seen lately. RM won't be wanting him back this century; we've been mugged.

Winks started brightly, then went backward, Dier was once again consistently inconsistent, Toby was left for dead and Japhet was over-whelmed.

Kane shouldn't have been on the pitch, Dele tried, but sadly, the rest didn't and he lacked a touch of quality - only our goalscorer looked like he meant it and gave himself some credit.

It was a mess.

Clearly, the job is too big for Ryan.

The rebuild is huge, we've gone full circle, we're back to being a midtable team.

I hate the constant narrative that is protecting Kane and Son so much.

In a nutshell, we lost last night's game because we played with 9 men. We carried Son and Kane for 90 mins. Had we had Watkins and Traore, we would have been the winners.

Do these 2 pricks think that by getting a couple of goals and assists, us football fans can't see the bad attitude and complete lack of effort. They should be ashamed to take the salary, just like Eriksen before them.

Also, what did Mason think was going to happen playing Dier and Toby every week? He must have known that in combination with Hojbjerg, the team was going to get deeper and deeper. We all did. Then when you throw in Winks, it's just disastrous.

As for Winksy, he needs to stop being a coward. He needs to think like Tanguy and Gio and work on the assumption that he is the ball player and needs to be demanding the ball. We can all go and sit in safe areas of the pitch around the centre circle.

In a nutshell, we lost last night's game because we played with 9 men. We carried Son and Kane for 90 mins. Had we had Watkins and Traore, we would have been the winners.

Do these 2 pricks think that by getting a couple of goals and assists, us football fans can't see the bad attitude and complete lack of effort. They should be ashamed to take the salary, just like Eriksen before them.

Few will be prepared to say what you did, but it was exactly that - neither should have been on the pitch.

Just sell them for as much as we can and reinvest - they left us months ago anyway.

Few will be prepared to say what you did, but it was exactly that - neither should have been on the pitch.

Just sell them for as much as we can and reinvest - they left us months ago anyway.

Spurs need a silver bullet that gets rid of the 10 oldest outfield players in the squad and replaces them with U25's, if not U23's. I'd much rather be having the old conversation about not having enough leaders than having a bunch of international captains insulting us every week.

Kane, Son, Moura, Lamela, Aurier, Doherty, Toby, Dier, Davies, Sissoko

Getting rid of this lot fixes the toxic culture in that changing room.

I thought you'd gone to bed hours ago, Vinnie!

Completely agree with everything you said, and as for Mason, I couldn't believe he oversaw that utter dross and still waited until the 72nd minute before he made his first change. I have no words.
I was going to bed SE but I was so livid I couldn't sleep LOL.

Absolutely. 100%.

Also, what did Mason think was going to happen playing Dier and Toby every week? He must have known that in combination with Hojbjerg, the team was going to get deeper and deeper. We all did. Then when you throw in Winks, it's just disastrous.

As for Winksy, he needs to stop being a coward. He needs to think like Tanguy and Gio and work on the assumption that he is the ball player and needs to be demanding the ball. We can all go and sit in safe areas of the pitch around the centre circle.
Absolutely. 100%. Again.

Look guys Kane's performances have been poor but he has still scored 22 goals that has meant we were not relegated! .

He has been a loyal servant and has in the main. given his all for the club scoring for fun and now finds himself surrounded by a bunch of numpties who have forgotten how to love the game and play football.

He can leave to give us some funds for a rebuild with my blessing and no vitriole.

He is NOT a Sol Cambell or an Ericksen,

He loved the club but he has to leave now for his and our own good.

Levy needs to act now and fast. Get the new manager appointed ASAP, offer other clubs the chance to sign Harry, Son etc NOW.Get the deals completed and DO NOT wait until after the Euros hoping that values will rise.
We need to start a rebuild immediately and give whoever is the chosen one the opportunity to invest and work with players.
If Levy thinks he can wait then fans should not renew season tickets and should hound the board with protests.
He said in his programme notes that "we lost site of what was truly in our DNA"
Well f***ing well sort it out and act now you knobhead or it is just empty words to what should be an empty stadium if you continue doing what youve done.

So how do we move forward on this?

I just cannot see Levy contenancing the sale of both Kane and Son in this window. I'm not sure he would even want to sell one of them.

And it would take a very strong incoming manager to demand the sale of one or both so that the funds could be reinvested to make a fresh start. It seems to be only Spurs fans who can see the situation for what it is. I'm sure the incoming manager would want the chance to work with them first before making any decisions.

I can see this getting worse before it gets better.

Must have missed it in the game but just seen a clip of Kane putting a croas in straight to their keeper. He then clearly mouths "whats the fucking point man"

So how do we move forward on this?

I just cannot see Levy contenancing the sale of both Kane and Son in this window. I'm not sure he would even want to sell one of them.

And it would take a very strong incoming manager to demand the sale of one or both so that the funds could be reinvested to make a fresh start. It seems to be only Spurs fans who can see the situation for what it is. I'm sure the incoming manager would want the chance to work with them first before making any decisions.

I can see this getting worse before it gets better.

The last game could be a massacre, the players are all over the place with everyone pointing the fingers at others.

It's a challenge for a new manager, but one with the right mindeset and the right character that can lead us out of this mess we've made.